Reducing the number of entries

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Reducing the number of entries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Morningbreath
    Participant

maybe its time to revisit the idea of limiting entries to 2. with 360+ posts a contest they are getting a little cumbersome to sort through.

or maybe we should add a contest.

or maybe I’m just bitter because my photos are so far down nobody saw them.

neonstz
    Participant

I agree, maybe even set the limit to one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, last time the subject came up, Veruca put it to a poll and the consensus was keeping the status quo. Not that she couldn’t do another poll, but it was a pretty clear result last time.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I voted to keep them at three last time, but I have changed my mind.

Claff
    Participant

It took me over half an hour to go through the thread and do my civic duty this afternoon. And then there’s, as Mr Mofo said yesterday, those poor dialuppers.

Limiting to two submissions is good; one is better. With a new contest each week and the occasional repeat contest there’ll most likely be good opportunities to use potential submissions #2 and #3.

Marley
    Participant

My photos are always so far down no one sees them.

Three thoughts, though:

1) This one went green quickly, and there was heavy participation. I don’t see stats yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of new people. Pick topics that are a little less universal and you’ll see less entries. (Picking topics that are less universal also forces me to search for images I wouldn’t normally shoot.)

2) Three entries gives me lots of room to experiment.

3) Of my entries, I generally have one that is my favorite, one that I’m not as pleased with, and one that I’m not at all pleased with. The last one gets the most votes, always.

There does need to be a limit, but I’m happy with three, even if it may force me to go TF once the paychecks start again. (I work at a school–no work over the summer.)

Marley

monkeybort
    Participant

i agree with marley – i like three images. it’s a good ##, not too many, but enough so you can throw an experiment in there and see how it goes over.

What I would like to see, is similar to what worth1000.com does, although I kinda hate stealing all their methods as I pretty much did with the submissions rules, but WTF, they are good rules.

Anyway, what worth1000 does is they set a deadline to when images can be submitted, and noone gets to see them before hand, then it goes to voting which also has a deadline.

I know that the way Fark is setup though, that just isn’t gonna happen unless Drew were to make significant changes to his site, which I highly doubt.

So really, as far as the voting goes, people are just gonna have to live with it and just do it for the fun of it, or compete somewhere else like worth1000.

As far as the number of entries, I always liked the 3 submission rule, probably mainly cuz I always had a hard time picking just one to enter, and as was mentioned already, sometimes the one you think will do well doesn’t, and the one you think won’t does.

But hey, I don’t even participate anymore, so why listen to me. 😛

ch4r7ie
    Participant

maybe its time to revisit the idea of limiting entries to 2. with 360+ posts a contest they are getting a little cumbersome to sort through.

or maybe we should add a contest.

or maybe I’m just bitter because my photos are so far down nobody saw them.

i think both..

i asked this question once, and verusca kindly did a poll, which i never saw actually

i had several shots for this week’s contest, i wanted to post several but circumstances forced me to pick just one, turns out i picked a good one

sometimes i think that having too many pictures in a thread takes away from the votes you might get for a single picture, where someone sees a good entry they might say, i’ll vote for this one, but when they see 3 from one person they might vote for 1 of the three and spread their enthusiasm for you semi arbitrarily

a weekend contest would be good too…

The great thing about 3 submissions per contest is that it permits more experimentation. If a lower limit is established, only “safe” shots will be posted.

It would become a hunt for votes instead of a forum for sharing cool photo ideas. Think “Top 40 radio.”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The great thing about 3 submissions per contest is that it permits more experimentation. If a lower limit is established, only “safe” shots will be posted.

It would become a hunt for votes instead of a forum for sharing cool photo ideas. Think “Top 40 radio.”

Think this sums it up for me well. Nice analogy.

ch4r7ie
    Participant

or.. it makes you, the photographer, think about what works in a picture and what dont

as a matter of fact,i’ve had shoots where i have taken 200 shots and sifted through til i found 1 gudun, i’m used to looking through 200 pictures.. it’s hard to do if you are semi-trained, a farktography contest with 300 plus pictures?

after the 1st 150 or so i stop looking at pictures and start looking at names… for instance if i knew someone lived in the same town in connecticut that i went to high school in, i’d look for her pictures

and voting has dropped off since there have been so many pictures to sift through anyways…

weds contest should be give it your best shot -1 entry, sat night could be 3 because people have more time too look

in a good photography club with judging:

a)there are people who show up to look at their friends pictures and show their own
    b)there are people who show up to look at their friends pictures and show their own, and want to win the judging

weds contest should be give it your best shot -1 entry, sat night could be 3 because people have more time too look.

That’s an idea I like. “Best Shot” contests and a second contest with the usual 3 entries per submitter.

Same topic, just a couple days apart. And maybe disallow the reuse of the “Best Shot” pic in the other contest…

ch4r7ie
    Participant

weds contest should be give it your best shot -1 entry, sat night could be 3 because people have more time too look.

That’s an idea I like. “Best Shot” contests and a second contest with the usual 3 entries per submitter.

Same topic, just a couple days apart. And maybe disallow the reuse of the “Best Shot” pic in the other contest…

i hadn’t thought of it that way, but that’s a gooder idea of a good idea

Marley
    Participant

Yeah, what he said.

or.. it makes you, the photographer, think about what works in a picture and what dont

Clearly I’m not a pro, but I don’t think I know what works in a picture. By posting three and comparing votes, I’m slowly beginning to understand why my lousy picture was so much better than the one I really liked.

Maybe this isn’t the place to be learning. That would be a shame, though, because I can’t get anywhere near as many objective eyeballs anywhere else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Reducing the number of entries’ is closed to new replies.