Selling prints

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

Drew owns the Fark trademark though, and I would expect that he would take exception to us using it for profit – particularly without his approval. So, some sort of deal would have to be worked out, either through the Fark store or elsewhere to keep it within the ‘Fark family’. I don’t know how his trademark is written, and whether ‘Farktography’ is covered in it expressly, but I’m pretty sure a solid case could be made that it’s covered. Doubly-so since the contests are on his site.

Again, I’m not saying it’s necessarily a bad idea – just that it’s a really, really complicated one. From issues like these down to administration, billing, order processing, tax issues, etc. A lot of things could be spared if it were done as part of Fark.com because a lot of the business and legal issues are taken care of, but it would require one or two employees (or volunteers) to handle all that sort of thing (even if they’re on a part-time basis).

ennuipoet
    Participant

As a minimum we would need Drew’s blessing and most likely there might be some underlying liability issues that would need to be reviewed before we were to sell under the Farktography name. As to whether Drew would want a %, I make no pretenses to know him any better than having a few drinks with him and forty other Farkers once. My feeling is he probably wouldn’t care much about the money, but liability and trademake issues would probably concern him greatly.

clouddancer
    Participant

What if we offered something along the lines of a wall hanging-size printing of either the top shot from contests or something from the top 10 (or something) if we’re interested in selling the work, but only from the Fark store? That way, for a limited time, the prints can be offered from Fark, so no worries about the Fark name being used elsewhere, and also since the contests are weekly, presumably the selection changes weekly or something. This is, of course, if anyone is interested in doing that? Feel free to take that base of an idea and run with it. Hell, maybe someone can figure out a desktop screen saver or something with these pics and sell it for a buck or whatever. I don’t know. Just talking out of my ass.

orionid
    Participant

Sometimes my photos are geared towards farks filesize limit. Popping to bigger is nice, but sometimes that fact that everybody’s inline at 640×1100 max lets ma know that it’s okay to crop and not pop. Something that’s 640 pixels wide at native resolution, and might have been a great farktography photo, is going to look like shit on a print wider than 2.5 inches.

As cool as it would be to get done voting and then click a “buy this print” button, between the logistics on the Drew/Fark end, the finances, and the software end (you posted a 640×425. Please link your 3000×2000) are just too much to hassle with. Place me firmly in the not thanks camp.

/I’m not even 30 yet and already turning stick in the mud…. *sigh* Get off my lawn.

olavf
    Participant

/I’m not even 30 yet and already turning stick in the mud…. *sigh* Get off my lawn.

I happen to know a guy who makes some awesome sticks.

But, yeah. I know Kes was thinking more about a voluntary basis, bu that makes for a couple of points. My top ten this week, for example, was great for Farktography but otherwise, crap.

Which is the second thing. What would the threshold be for something that makes it into the shop, and who’s going to police that? It certainly couldn’t be a Farktographer.

soosh
    Participant

If there was a farktography shop for prints, well, that would turn me off of doing farktography quite a bit. One, because I think it would attract an element of people who didn’t care about the contests, they were just trying to market their photos. Two, if someone wants to buy a print of one of my shots, they can contact me and I’ll make them one and mail it to them. I’ve had that happen from farktography contests before. I just don’t want to enter photos in a contest that are going to end up in a web shop. I don’t like the “click here to order a print from MPIX” or whatever kind of turnaround. Just not what I’m looking for.

Photo.net can be a lot like that, and it keeps me from spending more time there. Not everything has to be about turning a profit or making a buck. I like the Farktography contests because they are strictly photos being voted on by the masses, not a commercial enterprise.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Selling prints’ is closed to new replies.