So how’d that work out for ya?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill So how’d that work out for ya?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Some of you may remember that I created a website last fall to host the pics I took of my son’s football games. (I also use it to host my farktography stuff.) I didn’t charge anything for the pics and promoted it to both teams’ parents, figuring if I was going to go through the effort to take and post them, I might as well get the most mileage out of that effort. It was well received and I got many appreciative comments from lots of parents.

If you remember that, you’ll also remember that I put Google Adsense on the site, knowing that it certainly wasn’t going to make me rich, but hoping that maybe it’d cover server costs (about $12/month). So, you may be curious – how’d that work out for me?

As of today, the site has had about 4,000 page impressions and 30 clicks, most of which came during football season and which I consider to be decent traffic considering the site’s target audience. What’s that translate into revenue-wise? Drumroll please…

$20.37. Awesome. I can now officially retire a whole 5 minutes early. 🙄 And since Google doesn’t pay out until your balance reaches $100, I’ll never see even that.

I’m passing this on as FYI for anyone thinking about going the adsense route. Unless you get Fark-level traffic, I don’t think it’s worth the hassle, either to the developer or the users.

I removed all the adsense stuff today and as a bonus, the site now loads about 3x faster since it’s not slowed down fetching ads.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I have to assume from the lack of responses here that either 1) this topic is of no interest to anyone else; or 2) I’ve managed to come off as self-promoting or AW’ing.

I’m always a bit paranoid about the latter when posting online because my sense of humor is a bit dry and sarcastic (Dry sarcasm on Fark?!? The hell you say!) and it sometimes doesn’t translate well into the written word. So, if that’s the case, let me apologize, because it wasn’t my intention. I have no motivation to drive anyone to my site (especially now that I’ve removed ads) since it only contains my son’s football pics and my farktography entries, the latter of which you’ve already seen and the former which no one here would care about.

I’ve always been curious as to what kind of revenue an average joe could generate from Google ads (or what level of traffic it would take to generate non-trivial revenue), and I thought maybe others might be as well and that’s the only reason I shared. So, without further ado, I’ll let this thread die in peace. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol no need to apologize. As to the first point, for me, I don’t always hit all the threads, and my comment time lately has been less than it used to be. For the second point, this definitely didn’t strike me as AWi’ing. That’s actually kind of depressing how little revenue that generated for you given the amount of trouble and work. I don’t blame you for just taking them off.

Curious
    Participant

i didn’t respond because my site gets almost no visitors. your post was interesting to read however but only in a general “oh that’s how that works” way. not in a “i should post and follow up on this” way.

🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks for the reassurance, Els. 🙂

olavf
    Participant

I missed this one somehow (I miss a lot of things) but nah, I wouldn’t call it pushy or AW-y.

I think my site has gotten 250 unique visits since early December but most of those come via Facebook or the few other places it’s linked and very few Google hits. But it’s not 100% done yet so I haven’t been promoting it heavily either (stoopid holidays).

It’s good to know on the Adsense though. I didn’t set up for ads because the site is for promoting Kat, and my work – and I didn’t want any distractions from that. My server costs are also virtually nil (I pay for the domain name and have an off-site DNS provider. My stuff is hosted out of the house). But it sounds like unless you’ve got the “hot blog of the month” you’re not going to recoup your costs from the deal. That is pretty interesting to know.

orionid
    Participant

I nodded in recognition and a “Thanks for the info” sort of way. I guess I forgot to translate that into a post.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I’ll try not to be so paranoid in the future. 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Doesn’t mean we’re not out to get you…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Duly noted! 😯

LeicaLens
    Participant

Sorry, I read your post and checked your website, but I didn’t leave a comment in this thread.
    Because I had already left a reply written in blood on your mattress.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That was you?!?

I assumed it was Google for removing their ads. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘So how’d that work out for ya?’ is closed to new replies.