So…..seriously….

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

How about changing it to something thanking the n00bs for coming out, acknowledging the winner (or potential winners) and move the ‘official’ congrats to that shiny new thread we have on the side bar?

I was thinking along these lines also. Welcome to xyz and pdq for bringing out their boobies, welcome back to abc and qrz, and grats to 1,2, and 3.

lokisbong
    Participant

Orionid said “Welcome to xyz and pdq for bringing out their boobies, welcome back to abc and qrz, and grats to 1,2, and 3.” That sounds good to me.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I think orionid and loki have the right idea. I’ve never minded the announcement at the end of the thread-even if it was provisional, but acknowledging the newbies can’t hurt.

Kestrana
    Participant

Honestly I never go back to the thread after it’s closed especially with the Bibliostats refreshing so often that it’s just as accurate as the voting link. So whatever you decide to do is cool. Maybe shout out to the Bibliostats site to check the official winner and I like the idea of acknowledging the newbs/returnees and making them feel welcome.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I know that I’m not helping the issue by saying this, but… this is really a problem? I like (liked?) farktography because it was fun, and a community of great people, and while each theme is a contest there really isn’t any need for competition. I think that the current system is great. It’s a very nice acknowledgement. If you don’t eventually ‘win’ in the end, you can take pride in having a contending entry throughout the majority of the contest. With voters being what they are (which is always funny to say ’cause they are mostly US), having that recognition is as good as a win in my book. Although that’s probably because I’ve been on the went-the-wrong-way of those announcements more often than I’ve won!

ANYHOW… I’m not trying to look down on anyone, but this is another case where we don’t need to feel so sensitive about a fun hobby. After all, we’re all on farking Fark for farking Fark’s sake. Lighten up?

Sorry (truly) to not be more helpful/constructive, but my opinion is that it’s not broken and you’re doing a quite nice (albeit unnecessary) gesture. Short of being able to close the threads that is the best that you can do. So THANK YOU Els!

U-Man
    Participant

Reading these comments is pretty neat. It make me think (again) about one of the big reasons I’m here. And that reason is you guys. Seriously. There isn’t a jag-bag comment in here. We all seem to recognize what we have in our little community – a supportive, fun, stimulating, sometimes silly, sometimes technical, etc place to share our passion for photography. Jerks aren’t welcome. (Or at least if you are a jerk you can’t act like one here. 🙂 )

Thanks. 🙂

And Elsinore, I understand where you are coming from. But in my opinion, you don’t need to worry about it. You do a great job as our captain. I have complete faith in your integrity and intelligence. I think everybody here does.

But I recognize that not everybody that participates is here and there could be incorrect perceptions by some. To be honest, I don’t think I would like to have the authority to end a theme myself. I understand your reluctance to take on that responsibility. If possible. I do like the idea of a firm stop time. That could actually add some spice to the close ones – like the end of a race. But if you/Drew/”they” can’t get a firm time, I like how olavf summed it up with “How about changing it to something thanking the n00bs for coming out, acknowledging the winner (or potential winners) and move the ‘official’ congrats to that shiny new thread we have on the side bar?” The prior FSM and the present Bibliostats are a definite plus and at least intermittent reminders about them could boost popularity.

My eyes are about ready to fall out of my head so I’m going to stop rambling. To sum it up – don’t worry about it. Nothing is perfect. Any negative issues here aren’t your ‘fault’ and aren’t that important. This is farktography.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I had this idea:

Given that the thread header is so darn long anyway, can’t the “official” congrats be put in there? You already use black and red text, with blue hyperlinks… what about a green or purple “Congrats to last week’s winner: XXX” after the Legal and before the “Stop by…”?

Either way, honestly not a big deal. If you declare too early… oops… but the Bibliostats has the final word for as long as it’s hosted, and Fark’s now also got a method of looking these things up as well, so if you’re in error, the eventual winner still can prove it. Stress not. Make a decision and go with it. Feel free to let us know in here so obsessives like me can stop thinking about it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm, that’s not a bad idea about putting the congrats in the boobies post. I went with kind of a hybrid of ideas from thsi thread last week…congratulated “top finishers”, which ended up being the top three because they were all a vote apart anyway, then also directed people to the Fark Farktography Forum and here for official results. Still toying with what I want to do in the long run. But if you guys aren’t worried about it, maybe I need to not worry about it as much either 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘So…..seriously….’ is closed to new replies.