So there I was, in New York City…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill So there I was, in New York City…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

So there I was, in New York City, for the gay high holy day: Pride Day. So I schlepped myself over to Manhattan, and it only took 1 train. When I arrived at the pier where the opening event was taking place, I was informed by event staff that photography was not allowed unless I checked in with the media table. (I really should get a press pass for occasions like this. Has anyone ever done that? Any suggestions?) “Ha!” I thought to myself.

I managed to get a reasonable shot of Lady Gaga and the ASL interpreter, considering the illumination and my equipment.

Next to me was a gentleman with a camera phone making a really bad movie.

Nothing like having you musical heroine come out as a solid white blob you can share with your friends. Perhaps the audio doesn’t totally suck?

Yoyo
    Participant

Our master (mistress?) of ceremonies for the evening.

Even the Empire State Building was getting in on the action. I took this shot from New Jersey looking east across the Hudson river.

Yoyo
    Participant

I even made prints of selected photos from my 5 1/2 week road trip, including 3 of these.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

The 3rd photo is Pandora Box, a drag queen from the Ru Paul’s Drag Race content/reality-show. She’s has very good comedic timing, so I would think she’d make a good MC for an event like that.

ennuipoet
    Participant

So there I was, in New York City, for the gay high holy day: Pride Day. So I schlepped myself over to Manhattan, and it only took 1 train. When I arrived at the pier where the opening event was taking place, I was informed by event staff that photography was not allowed unless I checked in with the media table. (I really should get a press pass for occasions like this. Has anyone ever done that? Any suggestions?) “Ha!” I thought to myself.

I managed to get a reasonable shot of Lady Gaga and the ASL interpreter, considering the illumination and my equipment.

Next to me was a gentleman with a camera phone making a really bad movie.

Nothing like having you musical heroine come out as a solid white blob you can share with your friends. Perhaps the audio doesn’t totally suck?

First, you should’ve told me you were in town, I would’ve totally met up with you and covered you on my Press Pass! (I always request two, for an assistant to be named later) Second, yup, you need a Press Pass for the Pride events, BUT they are easy to get. All you need to is prove you are a “working photographer or member of the media” by which you have been published in some form of media old or new. Basically, if you have a personal blog featuring your photography, you are covered.

The open the event up for passes usually in May, but you can sign up as late as a week before the festival. I didn’t hit the event on the Piers, I only shot the March, but I managed to get some shots of Edie Windsor, who was WAY better see than Lady Gaga

Yugoboy
    Participant

When do they traditionally hold the parade?

I might be interested in being that “assistant to be named later.”

I’m fairly certain that with enough warning, my wife and sister-in-law can do the shopping thing, while I join you where the action really is.

ennuipoet
    Participant

When do they traditionally hold the parade?

I might be interested in being that “assistant to be named later.”

I’m fairly certain that with enough warning, my wife and sister-in-law can do the shopping thing, while I join you where the action really is.

The last Sunday in June. The whole last week of June is Pride Week, with several events. The last Sunday, however, is the March and then Rapture on the River, which is part rally, part concert but mostly semi-naked sweaty people getting they groove on. 😛

Let me know, it’ s something to see and the photo-ops are fantastic. I tend to gravitate toward the smaller parades in the boroughs because the March is so corporate these days it should start “ATT Gay Pride Parade” while the small parades are actually about, you know, Pride.

Yoyo
    Participant

I didn’t know you lived in the area. I suppose I should have announced my plans here. I might have been in Orionid’s neighborhood as well.

She was a fabulous MC for most of the event, and Mr. Keith Price from the Morning Jolt satellite radio show took over for about the 3rd quarter of the event. I’ve been an MC before as well, so I know it’s not as easy as most people make it look. You need to fill enough time for lighting, sound, and costume changes, while keeping the audience interested in the main acts and not yourself. I mean, come on, who really watches Idol for Ryan Seacrest?

I’ve been published in print news papers (cartoonist), scholarly publications (IEEE, assistant author), and military organizational news letters (photo-journalist)(should be available via the FOIA, but good luck finding it).

I checked schedules for events in NYC (i.e. Queens and Brooklyn, am I the only person who doesn’t just think Manhattan immediately when NYC is mentioned?) but everything was earlier in the year. Likewise DC events were no where near the actual riot date.

I only spent 2 days and two nights in NYC. I highly recommend the Sleep Inn in Jamaca if you have a car and want complementary off street parking. Thursday was Brooklyn with the Children’s Museum, Brooklyn (Art) Museum with a fabulous display of John Singer Sargent watercolors, and a too quick lap around the Botanic Garden. Then Friday was Queens with the Hall of Science, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Museum of the Moving Image, the opening night Pride event at Pier 26, and skyline shots from New Jersey right before last call when they turn out the lights on the Empire State Building.

If that sounds like a whirlwind tour, DC was even quicker. Arlington in the morning (including getting saluted by the guard and sergeant of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns) and then the national mall in the afternoon (although that sort of sucked with all the construction going on at the WWII memorial and Washington monument and preping for Independence day festivities).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘So there I was, in New York City…’ is closed to new replies.