Soft-focus

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Soft-focus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

sleeping, I think that split image circle you mention is what my Nikkormat had. I checked out the link. It may be a possibility – have you tried it or know of anyone who has?

No, I keep thinking about having it done, but it’s just expensive enough that I’ve never actually done it….

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

olavf, what’s the difference between that and the diopter adjustment disc on the camera? Does it exceed the limits of the on-camera adjustment?

olavf
    Participant

I’ll have to look up the specs (or someone els cans I’m not ome again) but I seem to remember the in-camera maxing out at +/-1.0 (or maybe even 0.75). Anyway, last time I tried to dial it in I hit th stop and it still wasn’t there.

olavf
    Participant

Here’s some notes on diopter adjustments and dioptric lenses on Canons for those of us who are optically challenged.

http://creativekarma.com/ee.php/weblog/comments/dioptric_adjustment_lenses_for_canon_eos_digital_slrs/
    http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/dioptric_adjustment_lenses.do

Long and short, the Canon DSLRs have a -3/+1 adjustment with the wheel. The dioptric lens will move that range if you’re falling out of it (like I am without my glasses on).

Curious
    Participant

sleeping as you know the minolta film cameras have split screen and it’s great except in low light. maybe it’s me and a poor memory but DSLR viewfinders seem to be brighter than my SLR ones.

sleeping
    Participant

Yes, I’m not sure exactly what the optics are behind it, but with focusing screens there’s a tradeoff between brightness and accuracy – darker screens do a better job of indicating focus. There’s also the issue of the split prism blacking out in low light, especially with slower lenses. The katzeye folks I linked to above claim their modern stuff is better than the older technology ones, though, but I haven’t tried one yet….

chupathingie
    Participant

Pity the katzeye folks don’t have a screen for my model… I’ve REALLY missed having a split-screen.

sleeping
    Participant
    chupathingie
    Participant

5Dii? http://haodascreen.com/Canon5D.aspx

ooohhh…. just what I need! Funny that until today I never even thought about the focus screen being so easily replaceable.

orionid
    Participant

DSLR viewfinders seem to be brighter than my SLR ones.

Depending on the age of the SLR, it could be a by-product of the aperture. If the aperture is manually set on the lens, it’ll choke down the amount of light hitting the view screen. Newer SLRs and DSLRs electronically control the aperture and leave it wide open until just before the shutter fires. This not only lets more light through while focusing, it also minimizes your depth of field while focusing thus allowing you to set the center of focus exactly where you want it. If you have a DoF preview button (or can program one), it shrinks the aperture to whatever you’re set at, and you’ll see both the screen get darker and the DoF get wider.

Curious
    Participant

DSLR viewfinders seem to be brighter than my SLR ones.

Depending on the age of the SLR, it could be a by-product of the aperture. If the aperture is manually set on the lens,

If you have a DoF preview button (or can program one), it shrinks the aperture to whatever you’re set at, and you’ll see both the screen get darker and the DoF get wider.

both my SRT102 and all my XD-11s film cameras are wide open for focus, drop as needed for exposure. all have DOF preview which i love. the minolta 7D DSLR which zero exponent has now has that too. unfortunately the D3000 doesn’t. when i can afford to trade up that’s one feature that is a must have.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

The D7000 has the DoF preview button-very useful, as you say. I think my SRT101 has one too.

Curious
    Participant

The D7000 has the DoF preview button-very useful, as you say. I think my SRT101 has one too.

i’d love a D7000 but don’t have the $1200 for the body. i have lenses.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

The only reason I was able to afford my D7000 was because of a huge, unexpected windfall. I was looking at having to save up for nearly a year before that happened. Maybe by the time you save up enough for it, they’ll have enough to meet demand and the price will go down.

Curious
    Participant

The only reason I was able to afford my D7000 was because of a huge, unexpected windfall. I was looking at having to save up for nearly a year before that happened. Maybe by the time you save up enough for it, they’ll have enough to meet demand and the price will go down.

well i play the powerball every week so the huge (totally) unexpected windfall part is covered.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Soft-focus’ is closed to new replies.