Soft-focus

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Soft-focus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I’m not sure why this came out with the hazy, soft-focus effect. This is a cropped image, and the whole photo is like that. I don’t particularly love this one, but if I can figure out how to duplicate this effect that would be awesome. Any idears?

It wasn’t foggy, or even particularly humid, when this was taken.

sleeping
    Participant

Were you shooting though a window screen or something like that?

orionid
    Participant

Looking at the exif data and seeing 300mm at f/5.6 makes me guess either your focus was ever so slightly off, cheap glass, or a combination of both. My 70-300 is always soft at the long end, even tightened down to f/16. It’s just a characteristic of the glass that I’ve become accustomed to.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’ve had this happen when I brought a camera out of air conditioning into a humid environment. The lens itself gets foggy. Is that possible?

orionid
    Participant

I’ve had this happen when I brought a camera out of air conditioning into a humid environment. The lens itself gets foggy. Is that possible?

Good call. I have seen that, too.

olavf
    Participant

When I want that effect I usually put it in manual focus and take off my glasses. Works every time =/

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Were you shooting though a window screen or something like that?

Yes, that is probably it. Looking at the other pics next to the one above, I see the robin inside my fence, so if I’d gone outside he would’ve spooked–so they were shot through the screendoor. Both of these are also 300mm at f/5.6, without the same effect:
    http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6974/robinground.jpg
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/317/sharted.jpg (warning-birdpoop)

Judging from the angle of those two, they were shot through the window as opposed to the screen. I suspect I had just the right distance from the screen to get that hazy effect. Not likely to repeat the results without some rig to hold a pice of screen the right distance from the lens, I reckon. Ah well, been meaning to try that vaseline trick anyway.

Olavf, I tried your tip, but it was not quite what I was hoping for ..

😉

sleeping
    Participant

Not likely to repeat the results without some rig to hold a pice of screen the right distance from the lens, I reckon. Ah well, been meaning to try that vaseline trick anyway.

The other classic way to get that diffusion effect is to stretch a black stocking over the lens. Vaseline is much harder to get off afterwards….

olavf
    Participant

Olavf, I tried your tip, but it was not quite what I was hoping for ..
    😉

Funny. I get the same effect 😉

In all seriousness, I’m thinking about getting a reticule for my camera. I get schmutz on my glasses constantly, and it affects my ability to focus. I been putting it off, but whilst I was traveling the other weekend I picked up a photography pr0n magazine at the airport and they had these nifty glasses with flip-up lenses…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting a reticule for my camera.

Is that reticle or reticule?

Either way, would you mind describing it a bit? If it’s a focusing aid, I might very well be interested as well. I don’t wear my glasses when shooting (I adjust the diopter), but with or without I have the same trouble with manual focusing that you and Zero have. I generally just use the autofocus and hope for the best but there are times when I’ve really wished I could manually focus reliably.

It seems to me that my old Nikkormat had a focusing mechanism that made it really easy to judge focus. But of course that was back when my eyes were 20/20 or better, too.

olavf
    Participant

My bad. Look up ‘dioptric adjustment lens’. It’s basically a replacement for your viewfinder with a correction lens in it. For example, in my case m glasses are something like +1.25 so if I could find that, the diopter adjustment would be zeroed. I’m planning on getting a +1.5 and then dialing back the in-camera adjustment a bit.

My optometrist thought it was a good idea and gave me the correction factor to look for.

I’m on the road right now, but i’ll dig up a link s and theglasses which I want to look into later this evening.

sleeping
    Participant

It seems to me that my old Nikkormat had a focusing mechanism that made it really easy to judge focus. But of course that was back when my eyes were 20/20 or better, too.

You can get replacement focusing screens with old school split image circles and/or microprisms for a lot of SLRs, e.g. http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/ (or cheap Chinese ones on ebay). The amount of work installing them, and potential interference with camera functions varies quite a bit with camera model, though.

ravnostic
    Participant

olavf that’s very cool. Being optically challenged, this is worth looking into (I have my prescription around here somewhere, so all the better).

//another way to get the soft focus is to mate an 1879 lens to a 2005 camera. Worked for me, at least. 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

sleeping, I think that split image circle you mention is what my Nikkormat had. I checked out the link. It may be a possibility – have you tried it or know of anyone who has? The only problem is that unless I also got the installation service, it’d be a catch-22 situation – if I could see well enough to do the installation myself, I likely wouldn’t need the screen in the first place!

olavf
    Participant

This is one of the ones for the Canon EOS cameras http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12402-REG/Canon_2840A001_1_5_Diopter_E.html

But as a companion piece, these are some neat-o frames.
    http://hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HPF1

I think I’ll be getting those as soon as I’m up for lenses later this year.. (hell, they’re cheaper than most of the frames at my optometrist)

I don’t think I’m ready to perform surgery on my camera body. The nice thing about the adapters is that they can be slid off and someone else can use the camera.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Soft-focus’ is closed to new replies.