Summer Storms

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Summer Storms

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

The brighter stroke looks kind of vaguely like Kokopelli.

ravnostic
    Participant

As I mentioned over on G+; that bolt is just wild–almost spastic (and it does kinda look kokopellish)

orionid
    Participant

I see Johnny 5.

caradoc
    Participant

I see Johnny 5.

Hmmmm.

Maybe a bit.

caradoc
    Participant

Things got a little dirty today:

ravnostic
    Participant

I got a nice shot coming into work, even set the camera to take a jpg so I could upload it at work from the SD card. Turns out Microchip doesn’t have SD card readers. WTF? Will post after breakfast with the folks tomorrow. Nice shot, caradoc

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Nice lightning shots, all. caradoc, are you within the storm system itself when you’re shooting those? If so, you seem to be at about the same elevation as some of the things being hit by lightning – any concerns?

We get some pretty decent lightning storms here (moreso during spring than now, though); the problem is finding someplace decent to view them from outside the system.

caradoc
    Participant

I tend to stay off the hilltops, and relatively close to power lines (but not under them) as lightning will typically hit them before me.

I also try to stay outside a five-mile radius of the active cell. This does not make me “safe,” but “safer.”

ravnostic
    Participant

Hilltop, schmilltop! Bring on the bolts! (sez the guy who still hasn’t popped his lightning trigger cherry). 🙂

Here’s a few; one from the vaults I’d overlooked, one from recently near sunset when the lighting was good, and one from when I was out last night trying to catch a Perseid (which I did), but we were sidetracked by a very distant cell. The color on that last is natural; between the dust through much atmosphere from a haboob two days prior (see caradoc‘s shot), and light pollution, the silver and orange managed to make a spiffy amber glow (or at least I thought so)

nobigdeal
    Participant

That last one looks like a Mars-scape!!

caradoc
    Participant

That last one looks like a Mars-scape!!

The dust will do that around here. This is an older one:

ravnostic
    Participant

Love that, Caradoc! I like the detail in the cacti. The shot I put up is maybe 1/9th the area of the full shot; it was that far away, thus, that much more atmospheric dust for the distance.

chupathingie
    Participant

HFSMFrs…bring it!

/had to…

caradoc
    Participant

ravnostic
    Participant

Dammit, Caradoc, I’ve been out several times and just can’t seem to find the thunderheads displaying bolts in the daylight to pop my lightning trigger cherry! And you just go posting them away….

//bitterly jealous//

I was out at the ‘Sup’s yeasterday; nada. Though about 1/2 hour after, there was some distant bursts (like 20 miles distant) and I got some with telephoto. Then, I went chasing a front that was just c-r-a-z-y; I finally gave up; they kept going south as fast as I was; so I set up camp near Hunt Hwy at Florence (1/2 mile S along the railroad tracks), and clicked away at them in the distance. I stacked together 45 images with some crazy lightning that (for the most part) never ‘showed’; certainly not on the ground (it’s apparent rain was falling), but it certainly light-painted the clouds, and every now and again a bolt would appear up there (there’s one or two here). And stacking for the foreground, I got some nice startrails to boot. Better bigger, of course; it’s posted on my G+ page.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • The topic ‘Summer Storms’ is closed to new replies.