That’s not good…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve just discovered all my shots from my Colorado trip, which I thought[/b] I’d transferred into my backup drive and thus deleted from my main drive–were not. Except for the fark-quality shots (and embiggin’ linked images) I’ve posted thus far–they’re gone. 😥

It’s a sad, sad day; I’ve taken so many pictures in the past month I haven’t sat down and archived stuff on the web yet. There were some 4-500 from that trip.

//any recovery ideas?

orionid
    Participant

http://www.binarybiz.com/

They’re pricey, but they’ve recovered where all of the free/cheap programs have failed. I’ve even pulled RAW images off a reformatted SD card with this software.

ravnostic
    Participant

TYVM!!! I’ll have to wait for the ‘free’ paycheck (every three months I get 3 instead of two); I just won’t touch the D partition until then. And dayum!! Either 100M (what, 10 pictures, RAW?) or 500 Gig!!!. Nothing in between for say $79? Dayum….

I’ll pay. I’ll grumble, but there’s some great shots in there…so I’ll pay.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Did you say $79? Well, have I got a deal for you…

Actually I don’t have the deal, I have nothing to do with them, but I’ve used GetDataBack with success. You can download and try it and only pay if it’s gonna work for you. I’ve recovered images off a CF card that I formatted after the drive I transferred the images to failed. It’s very important that you do as you say and not touch the drive in the meanwhile, though.

Yugoboy
    Participant

You can try these in the meantime:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://photo-recovery.info/

We used these in an effort to get some pics off my wife’s SD card. They did find a whole bunch of deleted files, just not the ones we were looking for (it had been many months since the accidental deletion, so they could have been over-ridden).

Worth a shot anyway…

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I”ve used a program called Pandora to revcover jpegs off a SD card

http://download.cnet.com/Pandora-Recovery/3000-2094_4-10694796.html

As a bonus it’s free.

I echo the don’t touch anything advice

ravnostic
    Participant

Pope! Pandora’s working! Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the freebie link!

(they did ask if I wanted the ask! toolbar, but let me deselect it before I installed.) 11.2 gigs of photo goodness, now being restored to my backup drive where I thought I’d put them to begin with.

Thanks to all for the helpful advise–but for my situation (deleted the folders, hadn’t written anything since), Pandora is da bomb!

15 minutes to go, but it’s recovering both raw and jpg versions perfectly.

//saved my arse you did (and my wallet fundage)–thank you thank you thank you Pope!!!

orionid
    Participant

I completely forgot about pandora. I have used them, too. And more recently than virtual lab. My bad.

ravnostic
    Participant

no worries, O. I’m thrifty, but if another option didn’t come along, I’da paid.

At the end of the recovery, a window came up to ask for a donation (and which gets you a program that will allow you to make sure when you’ve deleted something, it WONT be retreivable, as in if you sold your laptop or something. Or at least an email link to said program.)

I’m cheap, but I gave ’em $10, which I could afford at this time. The pics are worth more, but I’m glad I could contribute something, as the program did what I needed it to do.

Yugoboy
    Participant

FWIW the two links I supplied were for free programs also, but I’m very glad Pandora worked for you.

While I haven’t deleted anything accidentally, given the fragility of Photoshop, I’ve experienced traumatic digital loss… I feel your pain and I’m very glad you haven’t lost everything.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks YB; no hard feelings about your links? Pandora was the first I clicked to, and I’ve downloaded from the dowload.cnet before, so I tried there first. Since it worked, I didn’t need look further. Your assistance, however is appreciated, as was everyone who had suggestions.

Bonus: my DPP program ‘remembered’ the images so I don’t have to re-post-process anything. Which is a nice bonus. And the recovery allowed me to use the raw image to condense further one of the pics I’m using this week to a smaller, more fark-friendly size (I’d not noticed that the ‘small’ file was a whopping 189k–too close to the limit for comfort.

What’s up with trees making files so dayumed large, anyway? Anything with trees I just can’t get down to decent sizes–at the lowest jpeg conversion quality (which is still plenty good enough), it’s STILL 150k. Only tree pictures seem to behave this way…

orionid
    Participant

foliage. Lots of hard edges. lots of detail.

Farktographer
    Participant

I get paranoid with my photos for this reason. Laptop, external hard drive, plus DVD’s if I need to clear out some space on the laptop. Glad to hear you were able to grab all of them back.

ravnostic
    Participant

Foliage is a pain in the arse to get down to fark-sizes.

713 files (double, since I shoot raw and jpg), to be exact. There’s a third folder that didn’t get recovered, but they were the p+s images after my DSLR died–and I really didn’t care for them much, anyway. I’ve become a DSLR snob–the lack of control in p/s drove me nuts.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Pope! Pandora’s working! Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the freebie link!

(they did ask if I wanted the ask! toolbar, but let me deselect it before I installed.) 11.2 gigs of photo goodness, now being restored to my backup drive where I thought I’d put them to begin with.

Thanks to all for the helpful advise–but for my situation (deleted the folders, hadn’t written anything since), Pandora is da bomb!

15 minutes to go, but it’s recovering both raw and jpg versions perfectly.

//saved my arse you did (and my wallet fundage)–thank you thank you thank you Pope!!!

You are very welcome, I only know of the program because I did the same thing and someone pointed me in that direction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘That’s not good…’ is closed to new replies.