We’re hiring…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Just wanted to throw this out there, in case a likely geek/geekette is looking for a job in the Southwest or just something better than what they may already have.

There are a bunch of mid-pay positions open to anyone who doesn’t mind long hours outdoors, and 2 top-tier pay positions open in Dallas running a satellite earth station. No experience needed, but you must have sound electronics/technology knowledge. They hire based on exam scores. Fair warning for the top-tier pay jobs: you need an 85% to pass, and historically 91% of those who take that exam don’t make it. There were ~350 there when I took the exam, after 6 hours there were 31 of us left. We were all hired.

PM if you want links and details.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, “Void my warranty!” Starring Orionid.

orionid
    Participant

Just wanted to throw this out there, in case a likely geek/geekette is looking for a job in the Southwest or just something better than what they may already have.

There are a bunch of mid-pay positions open to anyone who doesn’t mind long hours outdoors, and 2 top-tier pay positions open in Dallas running a satellite earth station. No experience needed, but you must have sound electronics/technology knowledge. They hire based on exam scores. Fair warning for the top-tier pay jobs: you need an 85% to pass, and historically 91% of those who take that exam don’t make it. There were ~350 there when I took the exam, after 6 hours there were 31 of us left. We were all hired.

PM if you want links and details.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, “Void my warranty!” Starring Orionid.

HA!

Seriously, the Moss-Magnuson act is a Godsend.

Also, where were you on this job posting a month ago when I was mailing out resume’s all over the country?

chupathingie
    Participant

Seriously, the Moss-Magnuson act is a Godsend.

Also, where were you on this job posting a month ago when I was mailing out resume’s all over the country?

I had to look that one up! 😆

Hey, I’d have posted earlier but we just found out today. If the economy would pick up some steam, we might be looking for some more before too long. I want a n00b or 2 to train. They’ll have 15 years to get up to my speed and train whoever replaces me when I retire…

edit: You’d pass that exam, I know how they taught you in nuke school…

orionid
    Participant

Actually, you may be on to something. Kestrana and I were joking about this last night, and figured it could be an entertaining science-channel type show. Sort of like mythbusters meets how it’s made and monster garage. “We’re here in Texas, where they do everything bigger, and we’re going to help Jimbob turn his lifted F-350 into the ultimate tailgating machine. We’re going to start with a 57″ flatscreen TV and roof-mounted satellite tracking dish so you can get the game from anywhere. Then, we’re going to install a grill and a barrel smoker.” *

“Tune in next week when we use a weather balloon and a lunchbox to take photos from the edge of space” **

I’ve been toying with ideas to run with for my domain, and have been alternating back and forth between a photo-story blog and a hack-type blog. You, sir, have just pushed the scales.

/(*) Something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but probably never will.
    //(**) This is on the short list of projects once we get settled somewhere. Optimally, from a launch site in the midwest where there’s less concern of things like trees and rocky mountainous crags.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I would watch that.

lokisbong
    Participant

I would watch that show also.

chupathingie
    Participant

I would watch that.

Ditto… just last night I was toying mentally with the idea of a ballon carrying my powershot to dizzying heights, but I’d need to work on some tracking apparatus. I could build a transmitter easily enough, and I know a few HAMs with all the receiving gear I could need.

I wouldn’y launch from near here, tho; with my luck it would drop inside Pantex and I’d be getting a visit from some clean-cut gentlemen in black Suburbans.

olavf
    Participant

It’s totally doable, and you could use embedded youtube for the content… 😉

/Also, do a search for ‘Brainiac’ on youtube. You might get more ideas…

//also would totally watch that.

orionid
    Participant

I planned on using something like this for tracking and locating and dual barometric altimeters for timing events. To go about things legally, getting your HAM license isn’t really a big deal at all, I’ve had mine since I was five. Find a local club, and they’ll have all the information you need.

You also need FAA waiver. As long as you keep the total package under 3.3 pounds and include a radar reflector, 24 hours notice is all that’s required. Unless your intended launch site is under a major airport approach, they can’t say no.

I’m planning on basically going balloon—>12 inch drogue chute—>Model rocket style AV bay with 36 inch main chute—>Reflector—>Insulated lunchbox with gps tracker, cameras going rapid-fire, and a handwarmer.

Once the balloon pops at altitude, the 12 inch chute will be just enough to keep everything oriented until it drops past 300 feet at which point the rocket altimeters will fire ejection charges on the main.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘We’re hiring…’ is closed to new replies.