When the lights go out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill When the lights go out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

Was at work yesterday when the power went out. At first I thought it was just our building, but turned out to be all of San Diego county. It took about 5 hours to get home due to traffic (waiting for some areas to clear and then just sitting in the traffic in other areas), and my first thought was “crap, I’m going to miss the game!”

Second thought was, “well, at least this wasn’t last night – my farktography entries would have been really late.” Ever the optimist 😆

chupathingie
    Participant

The folks in an astronomy forum I frequent pretty much all had the same opinion: “Crap.Why can’t this stuff happen during a new moon?”

Plamadude30k
    Participant

That’d be the ultimate dark time. Man, I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve stared at city lights from an observatory and wished for a massive power outage.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I remember when the power went out in Toronto (and NYC, etc), it was awesome to sit outside and look at all the stars that you can’t ever see in the city. A lot of people took advantage of this, the parks were fairly busy that night…

Farktographer
    Participant

We were sitting in the moonlight hanging out as a group. It was amazing being able to see stars that you’ll never see due to light pollution. Still had air pollution though, so it’s not like we could see the Milky Way. Plus the moon was hampering everything by being so darn bright (but at least we could see each other with it).

Yugoboy
    Participant

I remember when the power went out in Toronto (and NYC, etc), it was awesome to sit outside and look at all the stars that you can’t ever see in the city. A lot of people took advantage of this, the parks were fairly busy that night…

I remember that… we were camping in Bar Harbor, Maine… about the only place in the northeast that DIDN’T lose power. Of course, while we were camping, the kitchen was being remodeled. The power outage pushed everything back, and the kitchen was not done when we got home…

Kestrana
    Participant

I feel kinda gypped – I had an earthquake, a hurricane and a severe tropical storm in the last 2 weeks and I didn’t lose power once, either at home or at work.

orionid
    Participant

I remember that… we were camping in Bar Harbor, Maine… about the only place in the northeast that DIDN’T lose power. Of course, while we were camping, the kitchen was being remodeled. The power outage pushed everything back, and the kitchen was not done when we got home…

I was working at a power plant then, too.

Sort of. We didn’t put anything onto the grid, just made hot water in the least efficient way possible to simulate propulsion and train students.

Yoyo
    Participant

Last year, I was stationed in Afghanistan. When it was the new moon, the place was so dark I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. The stars were amazing. The milikyway glowed. Plus the building outside my office door framed the western horizon perfectly to notice the progression of sunset from south to north during winter and spring. Kosovo, meh, not so much.

Farktographer
    Participant

Kosovo? When were you stationed there? I have a buddy who was there a couple years ago (though, I don’t know how big of a base we have there or if you’d have ever run into him).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘When the lights go out’ is closed to new replies.