Wish Me Luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Yesterday I interviewed for a wedding photographer assistant position.

The guy used to shoot a ton of weddings and is now trying to get back into the game. He’s got 1 shoot lined up in July, so far. I think the interview went well. He liked my portfolio of street portraits, but noticed a decided lack of shots of groups. I was also up front with him about my dearth of experience with weddings.

I was also up front with him that I really really want to learn and to become better; that this isn’t just me looking for some extra cash (although I could use the scratch). Given his wealth of experience shooting a huge array of film cameras, and his years of wedding photography, I know that working with him would be as much of a growth experience as majoring in photography all those many years ago in high school.

I want the job pretty badly, so if you could send some psychic nudges (or pray to your favorite deity) I’d appreciate it.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Good luck Yugo, we’re all counting on you!

fluffybunny
    Participant

Here’s to it working out.

*clink*

ennuipoet
    Participant

It is a far, far braver thing you do.

I won’t touch a wedding with a ten foot pole.

orionid
    Participant

And I won’t touch another wedding with Ennuipoet‘s ten-foot pole.

But good luck, definitely.

ravnostic
    Participant

juju vibes your way!!

Yugoboy
    Participant

It is a far, far braver thing you do.

I won’t touch a wedding with a ten foot pole.

And I won’t touch another wedding with Ennuipoet‘s ten-foot pole.

But good luck, definitely.

I won’t be in charge, and I will be learning. If hired, I plan on also asking permission (gently but straightforwardly) to network and get my name out. If he says no, he says no.

This guy’s forgotten more about photography than I have ever known.

emiliogtz
    Participant

Be afraid, be very afraid.

/And sleep well the night before, weddings can be really boring.

Yugoboy
    Participant

If I didn’t tell you, the guy decided to hire me. 😉

Just got done with my first wedding. Nice and small and short. Heck, it was smaller than my wedding, which is saying something.

It was the second marriage for both, so the stress was down a bit. This was my boss’ first digital wedding. He’s getting back to the game after many years out of the game. Fortunately, he bought a Nikon, so I was able to help him with some stuff. He’s definitely old school, in that he’s got the film mentality of trying to get each shot right as it went into the camera – which is good – but it can be a bit slower than I’m used to. He did help me by walking through every step of what he did. I definitely have to be more assertive next time. I’m very passive-aggressive, so I’ll shoot anybody doing anything, just don’t make me talk to them, ya know?

Anyway, I shot +/-400 pix in the 4-ish hours we were there. I operate a bit more on the “even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then” system with digital. I’ll post a few after I get a chance to post-process. I’m happy with what I did, and I think I really have some decent shots.

So far he doesn’t have any more scheduled, but I’m fairly certain he’ll have me back when he does. It’s not that I want to be a wedding shooter, but I definitely want to improve the skills one needs to be one.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Sounds like you got the perfect low key apprentice gig, congrats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sweet, congrats!

orionid
    Participant

+1

Yugoboy
    Participant

Here’s the 4 I’ve processed so far. All 4 have a diffuser glow. Sue me. 2 of them were filter-produced, 2 were PS’ed. I’m going to work on a few more, but I only want/need a few for portfolio purposes. He can do the post-processing if he wants.

This is the only one that was totally my idea. All the others were a result of him doing the posing. He was also the focus of looks and attention for the poses – it’s the way both of us wanted. My job was mainly to provide options, cover candids at the reception and other assorted “stuff.”

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… the pictures absolutely suck because i was using a Kodak EasyShare to document it, but here’s the blog post about my 3-mountain climb this past June while I was in the Adirondacks.
    I don’t think I make clear that I climbed alone.

http://yugoboy99.blogspot.com/p/yugoboy-climbs-seward-range-well-3-of-4.html

Lots of pictures (even if they suck), and plenty of words, too. It’s essentially a rough draft. I don’t know if I’ll ever edit it.

Enjoy!

staplermofo
    Participant

You really captured the experience of bad-weather hiking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Wish Me Luck’ is closed to new replies.