Wish me luck (fingers crossed)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Wish me luck (fingers crossed)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I was really disappointed last Sunday with the telescope when a) the wind picked up at sunset and b) the clouds rolled in before the wind died down. I had hoped to get the ISS–I mean, a good image, but I couldn’t even see it, let alone photograph it.

So I was calsky’ing it yesterday, and found out that just some 34 miles from my home, the ISS will transit the sun right across the center of it’s disc, in an area I can set up the telescope to observe even! And the forecast (God willing, they got it WRONG last Sunday) is for clear skies! I’ve done my research, using shots of the Venusian transit to determine the optimal settings I’ll need to get the shot I want (ISO 200, 1/2500th, of course the lens is f/6.3 and there’s nothing to be done about that.)

The whole thing lasts 1.54 seconds. I’ll leave home at 3am, set up at 4am to get a good polar alignment, wait 4.75 hours, hopefully get all my shots, drive home, unload the gear, and will have thus spent approx. 6 hours of prep/post time for maybe 4-6 frames that I had damned well better get right, and not screw up in any way. 😛

So wish me luck. Or, not, because if I do capture it, you can damned well be sure it will be used in Farkstronomy 2 (and anywhere else I can use however many extra frames I get.

The bad part is there aren’t any interesting sunspots right now. It’s going to be bland–but it’s on my bucket list and I’m hoping for…something decent, at least.

chupathingie
    Participant

w00t! Hope it all falls together for you, ISS transits are pretty cool events…

linguine
    Participant

good luck

orionid
    Participant

Do eet!

ravnostic
    Participant

Yay me!

Got it on the very first try. Damn that thing moves fast. Will save posting it for astrofarktography, or you can find it on my FB or G+ page.

chupathingie
    Participant

Linky?

ravnostic
    Participant

Got download space? Here’s the obscenely large version: http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2013/mar/25/iss01lg.jpg

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That is a seriously cool photo, rav. And I think it’s better that there aren’t a bunch of sunspots as the ISS would otherwise tend to get lost in it; as is, you’re drawn right to it.

orionid
    Participant

I saw the one you posted on facebook. That’s fuggin incredible.

ravnostic
    Participant

:o)

Now I just need to take a 1st place photo, and a 2nd place photo, … that would be nice. 🙂

fluffybunny
    Participant

Excellent work Rav.

chupathingie
    Participant

Beauty! Gotta ask, what did you take that with that has ~40megapixel rez?!?!

ravnostic
    Participant

I used software to double up the pixel count, chupa. Perfect Resize. Doesn’t make it any clearer really (well, only to a point), but it does make it deliciously bigger.

staplermofo
    Participant

Really amazing.

bender16v
    Participant

That is really cool. This was shot through that spotting scope or telescope that you posted the other day? Do you set up and track the sun or preset a calculated position and wait for everything to come together?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Wish me luck (fingers crossed)’ is closed to new replies.