03-03-10 – Something’s Mising

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-03-10 – Something’s Mising

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

you can’t take the votes personally. it’s a fickle crowd, and some of my favorite photos have been virtually unnoticed, while things I think of as throwaways sometimes get massive voting.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Only 3 thus far on the one missing all words ‘Fark’ from the webpage. Does nobody get it, or is the composition so terrible that it’s just not getting votes?

And how does the missing 8 ball on page 3 get more votes than my missing 8 ball on page 1?

Sour grapes, I know; but I really tried to be creative here and am disappointed to have fared so poorly. I’d expected a much better response.

Farktography is a fickle lady. The best I can say is that there is no point in sweating votes, finishes, etc. It is showing that you are putting thought and effort into your entries. So nice work so far. It sounds pretty lame but if you can just enjoy what you enter and not sweat the results you will have a lot more fun here, and probably even end up faring better also. It’s just how it works.

If it helps, I really bombed two of my entries this week. Ya never know.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Ha… it’s not photography, it’s Fickletography!

corsec67
    Participant

Farktography is a fickle lady. The best I can say is that there is no point in sweating votes, finishes, etc. It is showing that you are putting thought and effort into your entries. So nice work so far. It sounds pretty lame but if you can just enjoy what you enter and not sweat the results you will have a lot more fun here, and probably even end up faring better also. It’s just how it works.

Yep, just look at me. I have 5 wins, but I haven’t won once in the last year.

It is definitely about being challenged by a new theme every week, and always being on the lookout for new stuff to shoot.

sleeping
    Participant

Also, the overall voting for this contest so far is defintely on the low side: http://www.schneeworld.com/fsm/static-reports/totalvotespertheme.html

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Yeah… my suggested themes never seem to draw much attention, with the exception of Man’s Best Friend. Hmph.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh well, then. Interesting that the vote count is so low; I kinda thought so when I was looking. I have entries for Pan, but nothing thus far for the next two. Don’t know that I’ll have time to participate in those; I just (after 3 months unemployment) got a new job. I’ll check my archives; Farkitecture I’m sure I’ll have something for (see my ‘gallery’ entry); Geeky as I am, I don’t have anything planned for geek contest.

It has been fun getting to pick up tips and ‘meeting’ the artists.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Only 3 thus far on the one missing all words ‘Fark’ from the webpage. Does nobody get it, or is the composition so terrible that it’s just not getting votes?

And how does the missing 8 ball on page 3 get more votes than my missing 8 ball on page 1?

Sour grapes, I know; but I really tried to be creative here and am disappointed to have fared so poorly. I’d expected a much better response.

My birthday cake is getting dissed! On my birthday no less!!!

Whats wrong with you people!!!! Worship me on MY day!!!!

(all rantings should be taken with a grain of salt!)

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Oh… it really is your birthday? Oh man. Well happy birthday to ya!
    Apparently we got you the gift of missing votes. It seemed apropos.

linguine
    Participant

I thought your birthday was yesterday and ended as soon as voting started. Meaning we’re off the hook. 😀

nobigdeal
    Participant

I thought your birthday was yesterday and ended as soon as voting started. Meaning we’re off the hook. 😀

Shit….. nevermind

Curious
    Participant

you can’t take the votes personally. it’s a fickle crowd, and some of my favorite photos have been virtually unnoticed, while things I think of as throwaways sometimes get massive voting.

THIS a thousand times. fickle doesn’t begin to explain either the votes for a particular photo or the turnout in voters for a particular theme.

i have one win in the distant past and lots of 67th place finishes but as others have said fixating on votes takes most of the fun out of entering. i enjoy photography and whether shooting for a theme or archive hunting these contests provide a fun outlet.

orionid i looked at your missing legs photo a dozen times over two days before figuring out how it was done.

justkat
    Participant

Yeah, there’s no predicting the voters. I knew I had nothing spectacular this week, and i know it’s a low-voting contest, but ravnostic, I too am disappointed. I didn’t feel they sucked that bad. But I did realize they didn’t have what I call “grab”. What can I say? I just never managed to capture grab for this contest.

Oh, and for what it’s worth at this late hour, I too, am against using the scanner to create a “photograph”. I think restricting farktography to pictures that are taken with some kind of camera and have minimal processing is a good one and a feature that contributes to my enjoyment of the activity.
    whew! Long sentence! 😛

U-Man
    Participant

Wow. I have been traveling and missed scannergate. My poorly-informed and incompletely-thought out opinion would be to allow scanners as cameras. As long as the entry is a “picture” of something original, I can’t imagine that it will be a big (or even little) issue in the future. I mean, you can’t scan somebody else’s photo and call it yours. But you couldn’t photograph it for that purpose either.

Ranger “Cameraflage” Joe – Thanks. You made me smile. 🙂

LeicaLens
    Participant

Pretty much everyone has said it, but the voting in these competitions is weird. I got one of my highest places ever this week with a simple shot involving toilet humour. A far trickier shot I entered got just 3 votes. That’s the way it goes. I think most people don’t vote on the technical aspects of the shot, but the “wow” factor.
    To look at it in another way, I don’t photoshop, so in photoshop contests I don’t vote for what may be technically brilliant photoshops, but simply ones that make me laugh.

And if it makes you feel any better, I gave you a vote, but I had to look at it twice to “get” it, and when I “got” it, I liked the idea and execution. The other missing 8 ball photo was far more obvious, which is probably why it got more votes.
    Talking of “getting” a shot, I’m afraid I only “got” bucky_bacon‘s bread and jam shot today. It’s missing peanut butter? Peanut butter and jam/jelly sandwiches, right? We don’t really do those where I’m from. My wife looked at it and asked me what was missing, and I my first answer was “A cup of tea”… 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)
  • The topic ‘03-03-10 – Something’s Mising’ is closed to new replies.