03-03-10 – Something’s Mising

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-03-10 – Something’s Mising

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    thepostess
    Participant

Yes it did.

And thanks.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

‘kay got it. The FSM should pick it back up within a week.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

For what its worth, this guy makes great photos with scanners:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/creamer.html

I tried it, and have actually entered a few photos in farktography taken with my scanner over the years. I gave up, because I do not have a very good scanner. I am getting a new one through work in a couple weeks, so I thought I would give it a try again.

Here is a sample of scanner photography.

In the video, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/videos/Transitions.html
    he takes a shot of that pot-pourri-looking stuff while it is on fire, so you can see the smoke and flames in the resulting image.
    So, I mimicked his setup as best I could and suspended a lily just above my scanner glass, and got this:

Which is nothing like the detail he is able to capture. I tried playing with the settings for the scanner, but nothing gives me anything close to the amount of light I think I need. I’ll try ading some sidelight, but other than using a different scanner, I’m stumped. If you or anyone who knows about this could give me a tip or two it would be great.

Morningbreath
    Participant

For what its worth, this guy makes great photos with scanners:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/creamer.html

I tried it, and have actually entered a few photos in farktography taken with my scanner over the years. I gave up, because I do not have a very good scanner. I am getting a new one through work in a couple weeks, so I thought I would give it a try again.

Here is a sample of scanner photography.

In the video, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/videos/Transitions.html
    he takes a shot of that pot-pourri-looking stuff while it is on fire, so you can see the smoke and flames in the resulting image.
    So, I mimicked his setup as best I could and suspended a lily just above my scanner glass, and got this:

Which is nothing like the detail he is able to capture. I tried playing with the settings for the scanner, but nothing gives me anything close to the amount of light I think I need. I’ll try ading some sidelight, but other than using a different scanner, I’m stumped. If you or anyone who knows about this could give me a tip or two it would be great.

I got the same results most of the time, that is why I gave up. I think it is because I had not fooled around enough with my settings. I built a black box that fit over the top of the scanner that seemed to help.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Hmmm, this definitely requires more research. I experimented with every setting I could find, but even at the max. resolution for my scanner (1200 dpi), I’m not happy with the result. Mr. Creamer does not seem to need the “black box”, so I’ll leave that as a last resort. I’ll let you know if I have a breakthrough. If you don’t mind, could I see some examples of your scanner art? I’d also like to know if you have more success when you get your new scanner (PM me or use EIP from Fark profile). Thanks!

Morningbreath
    Participant

Hmmm, this definitely requires more research. I experimented with every setting I could find, but even at the max. resolution for my scanner (1200 dpi), I’m not happy with the result. Mr. Creamer does not seem to need the “black box”, so I’ll leave that as a last resort. I’ll let you know if I have a breakthrough. If you don’t mind, could I see some examples of your scanner art? I’d also like to know if you have more success when you get your new scanner (PM me or use EIP from Fark profile). Thanks!

Hey, Zero,

I am going to try the new scanner in a couple weeks, when it comes in. I used the black box, because it seems to get rid of all the noise. I made it by taking a cardboard box top a little bigger than the scanner and lining it with black felt, with enough felt left over on the sides to drape around the scanner. 15 minutes, and 2 dollars in felt did it.

I don’t know when I will get the scanner photos I have taken sorted to send you any, I have a new computer, and am not sure when I am going to move my photos from cd to the computer.

This would make a cool contest. I hope there is enough interest in it.

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • The topic ‘03-03-10 – Something’s Mising’ is closed to new replies.