03-24-10 – Pan Fried

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-24-10 – Pan Fried

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Shoot something using the technique of “Panning” (Moving the camera to follow a moving subject.)

Thank you to SilverStag for another quality theme suggestion!

lokisbong
    Participant

+1
    I need the practice at this one.

U-Man
    Participant

I was out shooting for the ‘On the Streets’ theme today and drove past a grassy area by some water treatment place. There were about 100 geese on the grass so I decided to scare ’em up and try some panning. In order to get some nice blur, I jacked down the aperture initially to FORTY and then adjusted it to 22. Shutter speeds ranged from about 1/32 to 1/4 sec.

Pretty much completely failed with the panning thing because the geese were up over any sort of blur-able background pretty fast. Also, the slow speed caused the wings to blur pretty badly. And, holy shiat, those stopped down settings REALLY make the sensor dust jump out.

However, I got three neat pics. Artsy-fartsy motion blur types. One has a background and may make it into this theme. Here are two others (after a bunch of dust removal)

http://www.ullepics.com/v/Rural/Flight_2647.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=2

http://www.ullepics.com/v/Rural/Flight_2657.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

olavf
    Participant

Trippy U-Man!
    /where’s that day-late-and-a-dollar contest when you need it 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Those remind me of Japanese brush paintings.
    Also I’m kind of lost with the technique of this theme. Can you link some examples?

corsec67
    Participant

Also I’m kind of lost with the technique of this theme. Can you link some examples?

Note how the bike is sharp while the background is blurred. I panned with the bike, so that it stayed in the center of the frame while he was going past me on that turn.

Shutter-priority is probably the most convenient program to use on a camera for this contest, since it is about how long the shutter is open.

Kestrana
    Participant

Thanks Corsec.

olavf
    Participant

back to the horse-races for me I guess.

orionid
    Participant

U-Man Love the first one. Do you a) sell prints, or b) mind if I get it printed and matted?

olavf, as long as you root for Quality Road (and he doesn’t get cut on the entry gate). My buddy birthed him and still works at the farm where he was raised/trained.

olavf
    Participant

U-Man Love the first one. Do you a) sell prints, or b) mind if I get it printed and matted?

olavf, as long as you root for Quality Road (and he doesn’t get cut on the entry gate). My buddy birthed him and still works at the farm where he was raised/trained.

We sometimes go and watch the local trotters, though we haven’t been in a while. My friends daughter used to run a horse there.

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1705234.html

Poor guy knicked himself bad with his shoe and they decided to retire him before he ended up lame. Bittersweet, because you could see how much the horse loved racing in his eyes.

orionid
    Participant

Awesome, and yeah. QR is fast, he was third favorite going into the breeders cup, but he was so geared up to race that day, they couldn’t get him into the chute. So the judges tried blind-bagging him, at which point he freaked out, damn near crush a judge between himself and part of the chute, and cut himself pretty badly in the process. Enough such that he’s out of racing until next season.

U-Man
    Participant

Trippy U-Man!
    /where’s that day-late-and-a-dollar contest when you need it 😉

Oh, that pic will fit some theme. Actually, I was thinking of introducing some sort of blur theme. I ran across a guy’s Flickr account who likes blurred images. There was some good stuff. I plan on playing with it more. I think panning is part of what is in my head, but the idea hasn’t crystallized yet.

I agree. They’re starting to grow on me.

Awww. Thanks. No, I don’t sell prints. But I’d be happy if you printed a copy. Can I e-mail a large file here or via Facebook?

orionid
    Participant

Either way. Or grab my regular email address off my FB info page.

U-Man
    Participant

Perhaps I shouldn’t show a pic before a theme – but check this one out.

http://www.ullepics.com/v/Rural/Flight_2668.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=3

I guess I was panning along with the first guy’s head and the rest of the world was flailing around. That’s a 1/4 sec exposure.

U-Man
    Participant

Either way. Or grab my regular email address off my FB info page.

Just sent off a 6 MB pic to hidden acres. We’ll see if it gets there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘03-24-10 – Pan Fried’ is closed to new replies.