03-24-10 – Pan Fried

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-24-10 – Pan Fried

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    bucky_bacon
    Participant

No hyperbole here… but I came up with my greatest photography-related idea for this one. Problem is that I have to rig up some sort of orionid-esque contraption to make it happen. A pretty sturdy rig with levers and pulleys and whatnot. So I’m gonna try to pull it off in two days. We’ll see. So frustrated.

…Maybe we’ll have another b-sides or day late contest?

staplermofo
    Participant

No hyperbole here… but I came up with my greatest photography-related idea for this one. Problem is that I have to rig up some sort of orionid-esque contraption to make it happen. A pretty sturdy rig with levers and pulleys and whatnot. So I’m gonna try to pull it off in two days. We’ll see. So frustrated.

…Maybe we’ll have another b-sides or day late contest?

I tried to do a “to hell in a handbasket” shot and it completely sucked every single time.

When is the swearing, hitting things, crying and giving up contest?

linguine
    Participant

When is the swearing, hitting things, crying and giving up contest?

I always just assumed that was the last contest of each month.

olavf
    Participant

I thought it was the day before every contest….

In other news, I work fairly close to one of the largest rail yards on the West Coast (UPRR’s Roseville yard) and my office is right off the north-bound line. I’ve spent two lunches and about and hour after work this week and haven’t seen a single train 🙁

cameraflage
    Participant

I shot these last summer, having some fun with my fisheye lens as I chased my wife around the yard while she was mowing the lawn. Slow shutter speeds and a bit of rotation during the exposure (so I’m not all that sure if that constitutes “panning” or not).

I had thought about using these until I got some decent shots of our greyhound Jack running around the yard.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/panfried_tractorblur3v.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/panfried_tractorblur2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/panfried_tractorblur.jpg

This last one might have been a usable shot of Jack passing our collie Claymore, but I didnt quite get all of Jack’s head in the shot.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/panfried_runningjack_Bside1.jpg

QueenBee
    Participant

This is even harder without someone other than yourself as a subject and without an assistant! I got some shots, but they’re not spectacular and I dunno that they’ll get me any votes but at least I tried!

QueenBee
    Participant

ok I need a yay or nay on this..if it equals panning..the chair was spinning and I did move the camera to pan along with it, but I don’t know why the background isn’t blurred …I mean it’s obvious the chair is moving and the mickey is quiet clear..but I don’t know 😛

http://tinypic.com/r/1fi9hg/5

ennuipoet
    Participant

Sixty exposures: one usable photo. Add to that an hour cleaning lenses and removing dust on the shot once I arrived home. Way more work than three votes deserves. 🙄

On the other hand, I learned how to do this, which I THOUGHT I knew before. (I didn’t) I was not arrested while shooting. (I was worried I might be) and I’ve the fairly unique perspective photograph of something I see every day.

I’ll post some B Sides to show what I mean about the dirt—thirty mile and hour winds can grind it in.

justkat
    Participant

Really really fast moving things were all I could make this work for — and even then most of them were FAILS — thus my vehicular theme =

I thought it was the day before every contest….

word.

linguine
    Participant
    ennuipoet
    Participant

My B Sides
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4460161815/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4460161543/

I was stopped down to f32 for these shots—every single speck of dust since the Universe was formed showed up, and was added to by the wind and the trains throwing crap up coming into the station. On top of this, I had to get in, shoot, and get out, before someone called the cops on me. Keep in mind it is perfectly legal to shoot from Subway platforms, but somehow the NYPD and the MTA (tranist authority) never seem to get the memo. I actually had a copy of the Transit authorities memo in my pocket in case I had trouble. (More than one photographer has been arrested recently for shooting from the platform, DSLR=Terrorist.)

justkat
    Participant

Sixty exposures: one usable photo. Add to that an hour cleaning lenses and removing dust on the shot once I arrived home. Way more work than three votes deserves. 🙄

Okay, mine wasn’t that bad… 57 shots, number of usable ones up for debate, and a long debate it might be. No howling winds, but 2 hookers walking up and down the sidewalk behind me while I stood on the bus-stop to try and get some of the fence out of the shot… And then there was the homeless-looking guy who complimented me on my camera and asked if it was the rebel series, but wasn’t too disappointed that it wasn’t. And the three gang-bangers who seemed to give some calculating thought to the possibility of witnesses before letting me be. 😯

Somehow I feel like I could work this into a really strange version of the 12 days of christmas….

justkat
    Participant

U-Man, I lol’d at the airport one. the things we do for farktography. Or photography in general. 😀

ennuipoet
    Participant

And then there was the homeless-looking guy who complimented me on my camera and asked if it was the rebel series, but wasn’t too disappointed that it wasn’t. And the three gang-bangers who seemed to give some calculating thought to the possibility of witnesses before letting me be. 😯

Somehow I feel like I could work this into a really strange version of the 12 days of christmas….

Hmmph, sounds like my walk to the Subway stop! I often get a queasy feeling in some neighborhoods, and find myself tucking my camera inside a coat. At least the local thugs all think I am a cop so the leave me alone.

ravnostic
    Participant

This was a rough contest. Doubly so because there’s other contests coming up in which I decided to save some of my pics. NOticed the counts; I took over 400 photos for this and the streets contest. A total of 5 I liked enough to consider using for this.

And thank FARK for daylight savings time; I’ve been absent the past two contests because I’m now working nights, starting at 6:15pm. Now I have an hour leeway and can upload at work, so long as I remember to load the images to my website beforehand.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘03-24-10 – Pan Fried’ is closed to new replies.