09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    JVSPhotos
    Participant

Welcome in JVSPhotos! I’d thought I’d mentioned about updating the rules page, but I guess I’m mistaken. Lots of nice, friendly people here, and now that you know, you can post the images larger next time!

Thanks for the welcome!

Maybe you did post the update somewhere, but I just clicked on the rules link that comes with the first post of each competition and did what it said. It turns out I actually have posted larger every other time, this is just my first in a while so I re-checked the rules and saw 640. Oh well.

People sure seemed to like the more interpretive photos than the photos from my actual nuclear physics lab, but it turns out science really is pretty boring.

orionid
    Participant

science really is pretty boring.

You’re doing it wrong.

ravnostic
    Participant

People sure seemed to like the more interpretive photos than the photos from my actual nuclear physics lab, but it turns out science really is pretty boring.

We’re always mentioning how we can never figure out the will of the voters. Knowing that a nuc. phys. can’t either is…well, it just means there’s no hope at all. 😛

Yoyo
    Participant

Welcome in JVSPhotos! I’d thought I’d mentioned about updating the rules page, but I guess I’m mistaken. Lots of nice, friendly people here, and now that you know, you can post the images larger next time!

To paraphrase some photography dude,

If it’s not big enough, you’re not close enough.

Regarding this week’s thread, I was hoping for more science fair type experiments. Although, now days, science fair experiments aren’t what they used to be. They’ve taken all the danger out of it. 🙁

hunches
    Participant

My neighbor spoke with me yesterday around six saying some things about the explosion I took a photo of on Wednesday (I told her it was a one time science experiment and I was sorry if she was startled), people at my house slamming the back door and causing things to rattle in her house because we share a wall (I apologized and said I’d let them know to be more gentle), and she also complained about the weeds in my yard and I told her it was my goal to clear them up this weekend (it was – I’m not a morning person and pulling weeds in the Phoenix summer heat blows) and that was about it.

Then around nine thirty my girlfriend, my buddy and I were laughing in the back yard and having a few beers and things were already winding down by ten. At ten thirty there was a knock at the door and it was a cop. I am super pissed, and I rarely get angry at all – I couldn’t get to sleep until two in the morning because I was so agitated. Is it just me or is it not that hard to poke your head out the door and ask someone to keep it down if you need it to be quieter? I didn’t even feel that we were being that loud last night and was really quite shocked when the police showed up.

*grumble* *grumble* She turned what would have been a satisfying bit of yard work into a chore that I *had* to do because I might get in trouble if someone else didn’t approve of the state of my area.

Anyway, just needed to vent a bit. Hope you all are having a better weekend!

ravnostic
    Participant

hunches that bites. I’m hoping to have a better weekend, I just woke up, and simply need to get my things packed into my truck for a photowalk I’m leading for 10 in the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness area up north. As such, I won’t be around for the contest finish, but I’m hoping I can keep my lead for the wine glass image (I still think Yugo can take the prize on this one; I’m a HUGE fan of fractals–anyone else ever heard of Fractint? Hours of fractal fun…). Since I won’t be around till some time late Sunday, I’ll just say thanks for the votes regardless where I finish up!

The secret to doing well is apparently having great ideas that you don’t get to execute, then fumbling around the archives at the last possible minute for shots that would at least meet the spirit of the theme even if you don’t think they’ll do well yourself. I’ll have to remember that in the future.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to ravnostic this week!

ravnostic
    Participant

Yay! It’s been a while for me. Thanks for all the votes gang!

lokisbong
    Participant

Conga rats Ravnostic

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats, rav, on the individual win; looked like you were gonna pull off a sweep, but U-Man came in strong at the end and grabbed the combined win (congrats as well, again!).

Yugoboy, I’ve seen photos of those plants before (aren’t they a form of broccoli?), but never in real life. Like rav, I’m a big fan of fractal-generated art (yes, rav, I’ve played with fractint myself) and I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that something that looks so obviously like the output of a fractal program exists in nature.

Yugoboy
    Participant

CISS – It’s a cauliflower. Like I said earlier, I’d done a photoshop years ago, so when my wife pointed them out earlier this year, I shot about 4 or 5. Yesterday when I went into the market office for something, I saw a sign with about 4 different types of cauliflower on it, and this was one of them. The only part i find truly freaky is the geometry of it. I spent some time in a history of math class (it was easier and made more sense than a real math class) and we talked about (among other things) Fibonacci’s Sequence, so a lot of really cool stuff in nature falls into this pattern. Final note, while in Italy last summer, I found Fibonacci’s grave in Pisa. As yet I have met no one IRL who has found that even remotely cool.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, I’d be surprised to find someone in my normal circle IRL who knows what the Fibonacci Sequence is, much less thinks it was cool to have found his grave, so you’re probably one up on me there. 😉

Math was always one of my favorite subjects. Sadly, it appears that that gene didn’t get transferred to any of my kids. Equally sadly, my career never called for any heavy math, so I’ve forgotten much of it.

If you haven’t already, take a look at these articles on the Golden Ratio and the Golden Spiral. They’re closely related to the Fibonacci Sequence. It’s fascinating how frequently they occur in nature and the arts.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • The topic ‘09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!’ is closed to new replies.