09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Images which convey a sense of science in action.

Theme suggestion kudos go to CauseISaidSo!

Yugoboy
    Participant

“In action” does not require kinetic action, I hope.
    This one’s relatively open, no?

Plants are photosynthesizing, the sun emits various elements on the visible and invisible spectrum, water equals hydraulics, etc…

Before I get too into preepping for this, what’s the ruling on animals? Only wild, or just alive?

Also, what about the social sciences? Can I use archeological remains? What about pics related to sociology or anthropology?

ravnostic
    Participant

From CISS‘s original contest suggestion beyond the title: “Leaving this one wide open to interpretation – if your image says “science” to you, I’m good with it.”

The voters, though… God only knows what they’ll agree upon!!!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

rav’s right – science is in the eye of the beholder, or photographer in this case. If you think it’ll fly with the voters, go for it. I only ask that if it’s not somewhat obvious that a little explanation is provided.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve actually come up with not one, but a whole TWO ideas for this one. First time I’ve been semi-excited about photography in weeks. Hope they’re executable and come out like what I’m envisioning.

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve been drawing a blank and just now realized that I should have taken photos of the gold Assay in the mining museum I visited this week, doh! I have one idea but I’m not sure if I’ll have time to set up my lead melting pot.

ravnostic
    Participant

Question for the mods: “Screen captures are not acceptable”. However, I have a microscope (this one http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Binoculars-Microscopes/dp/B004MNF4BQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1347119530&sr=8-6&keywords=zpix that displays a magnified view on-screen, and can be captured with a mouse. So not a screen capture like the PrtSc button (it’s a live-view, captured digitally in the moment), but alson not a camera in the ‘normal’ sense of the word (DSLR, P/S, iPhone).

In or out. I haven’t used it yet; might gift it out, don’t want to open it if it’s definitely ‘out.’

Yugoboy
    Participant

Question for the mods: “Screen captures are not acceptable”. However, I have a microscope (this one http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Binoculars-Microscopes/dp/B004MNF4BQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1347119530&sr=8-6&keywords=zpix that displays a magnified view on-screen, and can be captured with a mouse. So not a screen capture like the PrtSc button (it’s a live-view, captured digitally in the moment), but alson not a camera in the ‘normal’ sense of the word (DSLR, P/S, iPhone).

In or out. I haven’t used it yet; might gift it out, don’t want to open it if it’s definitely ‘out.’

Gift it out? That’s a treat of a toy!

If you don’t know a 12-year-old who’d use it into the ground, let me get dibs in before orionid.

My dad was a science teacher for decades, and would sometimes bring home lab equipment (like microscopes) to play with. If science didn’t need so damn much math, my life’s course may have been way different.

linguine
    Participant

Personally I’d be ok with allowing it but I’d say wait to see if anyone else has an opinion.

lokisbong
    Participant

Personally I’d be ok with allowing it but I’d say wait to see if anyone else has an opinion.

I am also ok with this idea Rav

ravnostic
    Participant

If it’s any clarification, it’s an internal camera in the scope, 640×480 VGA res, about 1/3 Mpxl, with interpolation up to 1600×1200, per the instruction manual (yeah, had to peek). 5x optical zoom. f/3.6. And it does actually have a shutter button on top of the scope. (I think I may gift this one and get the one with 1.3 Mpxl…)

Yoyo
    Participant

If science didn’t need so damn much math, my life’s course may have been way different.

You could have majored in one of those fluffy sciences (like the ones that end in -ology) where they’re mostly concerned with naming things: biology, geology, zoology, cryptology, Egyptology, physiology, psychology, sociology, Farkology,… Ok, maybe not cryptology.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Arrrrgh! My own dang theme and I’ve got nothing for it and no ideas yet. Hope y’all are faring better than me…

Barracuda
    Participant

Hope y’all are faring better than me…

nope…

ravnostic
    Participant

Couldn’t find a prop for one shot (and ran out of money even if I did; ironically in 2 days I’ll have boo-coo bucks, today I have $2.14). Can’t find the 1/2mm x1/2mm subject for the second. Don’t have the will to iron creases out of 20 sq ft of canvas for the third. Probably sitting this one out; may find something in the arch’s, but it will (again) be weak. I hate the 12 hour night shift. And the overtime that I’ve yet to collect for. And my own procrastination/laziness/lack of determination/weak spirit most of all. I think I need a nap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • The topic ‘09-12-12 – She Blinded Me With Science!’ is closed to new replies.