12-05-12 – Statuary

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-05-12 – Statuary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

From public art to museum quality pieces, show us statues of every kind!

Theme suggestion kudos go to kestrana–thanks!

Barracuda
    Participant

Out of bounds for “statue” ??

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

‘Cuda, in cases like these, I always resort to the dictionary. “Statuary” is defined as “statues collectively”. Statue is defined as “a three-dimensional work of art, as a representational or abstract form, carved in stone or wood, molded in a plastic material, cast in bronze, or the like.”

So, I’d say you’re good. If molded plastic is a statue, then shaped metal surely is as well.

sleeping
    Participant

That sounds like a definition of “sculpture” rather than “statue”, which I think pretty much implies a figure, i.e.:

A statue is a sculpture in the round representing one or more people or animals (including abstract concepts allegorically represented as people or animals), normally full-length, as opposed to a bust, and at least close to life-size, or larger.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue

Barracuda
    Participant

^ ^ yeah, that was my thinking too, this leans more into sculpture than statue. Thus my decision to throw it out there for feedback.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t know, Barracuda; since both definitions include abstract representations, I still think you’re good to call it a statue. It’s also a complete figure (as opposed to a bust or torso) and looks to be life-size or larger, which I read were other characteristics of statues.

Yugoboy
    Participant

So… even though I wound up not needing to worry about it, my query in the Forum during the interruption would be a “No.”

(The query was whether the statuary had to be free-standing or could I use a frieze or relief sculpture. Good thing my choices ended up being free-standing.)

linguine
    Participant

My vote would be allow that image, otherwise we would be having to follow a fine line and I could see people that don’t come to this forum thinking stuff like that is allowed in this contest.

swampa
    Participant

I think it is fine as it is a statue to our new robotic overlords!

Kestrana
    Participant

I would be fine with it.

Barracuda
    Participant

Thanks all for the input, and of course as always, while the photo may pass muster with the judges, one must also consider the voters. 🙂

Yoyo
    Participant

Just the theme I need to whip out all my pics from the Spanish sculpture museum.

What? You’ve never been? You’ve never even heard of it?

Well, if you like polychrome on wood (and come on, who doesn’t love polychrome on wood,) then you’ll love the Spanish sculpture museum.

It’s in Valladolid just down the street from the birthplace of King Felipe II, or as it’s now known the city water utility office.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That sounds like a definition of “sculpture” rather than “statue”, which I think pretty much implies a figure, i.e.:

A statue is a sculpture in the round representing one or more people or animals (including abstract concepts allegorically represented as people or animals), normally full-length, as opposed to a bust, and at least close to life-size, or larger.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue

It’s also a complete figure (as opposed to a bust or torso) and looks to be life-size or larger, which I read were other characteristics of statues.

Gee, I wonder where I read that? 🙄 Is it sad that I just now made that connection? Chalk it up to a senior moment, I guess. Anyone got a spare AARP application?

ravnostic
    Participant

Glad for that last, CISS; I was going to ask about a dog statue…

linguine
    Participant

Well Im having trouble picking from my last 6, anyone want to help me out? http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/sets/72157630275479234/with/8246794224/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • The topic ‘12-05-12 – Statuary’ is closed to new replies.