12-05-12 – Statuary

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-05-12 – Statuary

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Lovesandwich
    Participant

/I think it qualifies as a statue

Cool…thanks Swampa!

swampa
    Participant

I don’t think that they allowed cameras inside.

Like that stops anyone! Especially in Italy!

/All you can hear in the Sistine Chapel is “No cameras!” “click, click, click” “No cameras!” “click, click, click” repeat (or see the flashes from the real idiots)

nobigdeal
    Participant

Too unfark-worthy?
    IMG_0538

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol funny 😉

Yugoboy
    Participant

FYI: Zeke can’t get the scheduling module up and going for me yet, so I am going to have to manually enter more themes (which will require a lot of steps for each individual one). This week has been pretty much hellish for me, so I apologize. Since the consensus was that people were fine with the Seasons Greetings theme, we will go with that for the theme following the end of the world theme. I’ll post a list of upcoming themes then schedule them as I can over tonight and tomorrow…

No need to apologize. Thank you, however!

Seriously… dealing with the vandals at the gate and setting up an entirely new forum is hard enough. This method will work just fine, and we’ll just muddle through. Thank you, again. I’m not going to speak for everyone, but I certainly appreciate all the hard work.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Going to be out a lot of tomorrow between school commitments and a charity show. Between 8am and 10pm, I’ll mostly be gone, save for a window around 2-4pm, so if there’s something that needs immediate attention during those times, it might be faster to send a Farkback. I’ll be around off and on tonight, though.

And that is why kids are for young people. 😆 Don’t get me wrong, I loved the time with my kids, but I’m quite satisfied with the current situation as well – one graduating college in a couple of weeks (and off our payroll, yay!) and only one still at home. And he’s mobile so pretty much independent.

Although he did total his car last Friday. So, there’s that. Something to look forward to, Els! 😉

/ Ditto what fluffy said. You & Zeke are much appreciated.
    // I just want to tell you both, good luck. We’re all counting on you.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yikes, is your kiddo ok?? I know you guys appreciate it–and that makes it all worth it. I’ve just gotten over programmed between school volunteer stuff, pta, scouts, not-quite-retired-from-dance, and random family stuff.

/totally not looking forward to the kids driving
    //picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    //AND THEN the DINOSAURS came!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Also also wik: McPerseus is *hilarious*

Yugoboy
    Participant

I don’t think that they allowed cameras inside.

Like that stops anyone! Especially in Italy!

/All you can hear in the Sistine Chapel is “No cameras!” “click, click, click” “No cameras!” “click, click, click” repeat (or see the flashes from the real idiots)

Yeah. When we were there a couple years ago we had the same experience. I realized early on that I’d do better buying the damned book, because the photos I would be taking would be poorly lit and likely incomplete… not to mention Post-Dan Brown-crowded as an 8 seater VW Bug. Beautiful place, but the WORST as far as surviving. Entirely too many people in too small a place. And the tour guides came right out and said that it wasn’t nearly as bad before the DaVinci Code.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yikes, is your kiddo ok??

Yep, he’s fine, and so are the other two who hit him. The problem is that there were no witnesses and it’s he said/she said and the other driver is claiming that my son pulled out in front of him.

My son claims that he was just sitting there and the other kid (he’s only 17 as well) tried to pull into the street my son was on too fast. I questioned him several times and that’s the story he’s sticking to, so I believe him. Also, the position of the cars post-impact and the location of debris seem to strongly verify his story.

The cop that came to investigate chose to believe the other guy, though, so we’ll have to fight it in court. I even pulled the “I’ve got a degree in physics and know a few things about conservation of momentum and force vectors” but it didn’t sway her and she ticketed my son. Court’s in a couple of weeks, so we’ll see if the judge will buy it. I’ve just got to prove reasonable doubt, right?

Yoyo
    Participant

Meh, the Sistine Chapel wasn’t all that, if you ask me. Of course all the scaffolding inside while they repainted the ceiling sort of detracted from the overall ambiance of the place. Just kidding, they’re were only cleaning and restoring the ceiling, not repainting. But yeah there was scaffolding all through it ca. 1983.

I was a bit worried about bare bosoms being NSFW, but I’m not the only one this week. Wish me luck that my host doesn’t crap out like last week!

p.s. I like the bear smoking a fatty.

swampa
    Participant

Meh, the Sistine Chapel wasn’t all that, if you ask me.

I agree. I expected the Michaelangelo painting to be across the whole ceiling not just in a corner.

I was worried about boobies and penis being a problem too – I wasn’t sure if the “but it is art!” excuse would work 🙂

/I blame Hudson Hawk for the extra people at the Vatican 😛 (wasn’t like the movie)
    //Thanks Rav for the comment in the thread
    ///Stupid hidden comments >_<

Barracuda
    Participant

A B-Side:

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My son claims that he was just sitting there and the other kid (he’s only 17 as well) tried to pull into the street my son was on too fast. I questioned him several times and that’s the story he’s sticking to, so I believe him. Also, the position of the cars post-impact and the location of debris seem to strongly verify his story.

The cop that came to investigate chose to believe the other guy, though, so we’ll have to fight it in court. I even pulled the “I’ve got a degree in physics and know a few things about conservation of momentum and force vectors” but it didn’t sway her and she ticketed my son. Court’s in a couple of weeks, so we’ll see if the judge will buy it. I’ve just got to prove reasonable doubt, right?

IANAL, but a ticket is civil, not criminal, so the burden of proof (which is on the state/county/city, not you) is lower …probably “Preponderance of the evidence”. But if you went in there with evidence of your degree and some nice diagrams and photos of the scene (tell me someone took photos?) with explanations of how the debris scatter suggests what actually happened, then you may very well be able to poke holes in their case, cause hey, it’s Physics, Jim! The bigger issue may be what the insurance companies do with it. If you fight his ticket and win, that will probably help bolster things with insurance, though.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, you’re right, Els; it will be a lower burden of proof. I did get some photos, but it was near dusk and they’re with my cell phone. I think they’ll still tell my story, but I really really wish I’d thought to bring my SLR. When he called, we rushed out without really thinking about the need to grab documentation tools. My insurance agent did say that if we succeeded in getting the ticket reversed that would help our case. Regardless, everyone’s OK and that’s the important part; the rest is just money and that comes and goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • The topic ‘12-05-12 – Statuary’ is closed to new replies.