01-06-10 – Animals

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-06-10 – Animals

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

Hallo,

New here, and I want to participate more. I entered this one, and had an entry deleted. I’m wondering if anyone can give me a hint why?

The pic is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkiy/4249179229/

I’m not upset or complaining or anything, I obviously messed up somehow and I just want to make sure I don’t mess up again. Is it the saturation?

Thanks for any advice!

If you used the medium size it should have been fine. File size is only 69 kb… well under the limit. Nice picture by the way. We need to get elsinore to look and see what’s wrong I think.

U-Man
    Participant

…. had an entry deleted. I’m wondering if anyone can give me a hint why.

I have no clue. Maybe you somehow linked to the larger size that was 230k. As Elsinore says, there is a fuzzy size limit. Fark doesn’t like files over ‘X’ kb. I keep mine 100 – 140 kb and have no problems.

I took a brief look through your Flickr pages –> Some good stuff. I’d love to see you come around again.

linguine
    Participant

I think the image was just too big, even if you use flickr’s medium size Im not sure that will pass fark’s file size limit or if it goes by the full file size that you uploaded. I always just upload an image that is the size I want for fark and try to keep it in the low 100kb range.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

WinnipegDragon: Oddly enough the image wasn’t cached for me, but when I downloaded it, it was 69k which should be fine. Dunno if it was set up to pull from a larger size (which might have tripped the file size sensors) but either way, I restored it. There were several other wayward images in the ether, and they were only 160k and one that was only 100k. I have no real explanation other than sometimes image hosts hiccup briefly. If your image is deleted and it says it was a broken image, it was almost certainly that your file size was too large or your hosting hiccuped at some point. It’s fixable, just let us know.

For future reference, Fark’s file size limit (fuzzy though it may be) is 200k with images fairly likely to drop if they’re over 180k. Images seem to be safest when you keep them under 150k. Like linguine, I just upload Fark size images to my Flickr acct, then I’m reasonably certain they should be ok and that Flickr won’t be serving up the wrong file size (it also gives me control over the compression when I do it myself rather than letting Flickr do it). I almost never post images over 100k myself.

orionid
    Participant

The pic is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkiy/4249179229/

It’s been said, but nice shot. And some nice works in your other stuff at Flickr. Hope to see you around some more.

WinnipegDragon
    Participant

Thanks for all the kind words! I’ve only picked up my DSLR about three or four months ago, and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Doing Farktography was one of my two photo resolutions this year. The other was a Project 365. Kind words are a huge encouragement for me.

Oh, a third resolution: EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.8, 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II in my possession by the end of the year. If only my wife would agree to that third one 🙁

nobigdeal
    Participant

Thanks for all the kind words! I’ve only picked up my DSLR about three or four months ago, and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Doing Farktography was one of my two photo resolutions this year. The other was a Project 365. Kind words are a huge encouragement for me.

Oh, a third resolution: EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.8, 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II in my possession by the end of the year. If only my wife would agree to that third one 🙁

Welcome to the insanity/addiction!

If you get the wife to agree please let me know how you did it!

justkat
    Participant

well this is pretty much what everyone else said, but… I can’t think of any reason that would have gotten deleted unless flickr burped long enough for Fark to assume the image link was permanently broken and deleted the entry. If you notice your entry disappearing, it’s a good idea to post in the farktography discussion thread as soon as you notice it so a mod can look into it before you start losing potential votes. It can be fixed, if it’s caught early enough, as was demonstrated here. 🙂

There’s nothing wrong with either the specs or the content of your picture. Only you know if the saturation makes the animal look unnatural. 😉

Welcome, glad to have you come play with us.

Kestrana
    Participant

To echo everyone else, nice picture, welcome, play hard and play often! 😀

olavf
    Participant

Welcome to the insanity/addiction!

If you get the wife to agree please let me know how you did it!

Preferably without resorting to anything illegal….
    /Suspect I’d have the best chance with the 24-70 personally. Kat’s not one for the telephoto to date…

//and welcome WinnipegDragon!

WinnipegDragon
    Participant

The saturation was brought up a bit, but only to get it more true to life. GIS the rainbow boa, that’s what they look like 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes welcome aboard! Incidently, a couple of us did 365 projects last year (and finished them!) so you can do it! I did a self-portrait one last year (which got old fast), but this year’s is a more general photography theme. Good luck with yours, and I’m looking forward to seeing you in the Farktography threads!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Dancin_In_Anson this week!

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘01-06-10 – Animals’ is closed to new replies.