01-09-08 – Utility Poles

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-09-08 – Utility Poles

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Thenationalfreak
    Participant

Alright thanks, I went back to the rules page and realized that I need to start remembering to scroll down. I’ll get it one of these days 😳

JamesPolk
    Participant

So, I’m a little confused. I have a really nice picture of a powerline tower… but I guess that doesn’t count. If you exclude those three things…. can you give me an example of another utility pole that would count?

schnee
    Participant

So, I’m a little confused. I have a really nice picture of a powerline tower… but I guess that doesn’t count. If you exclude those three things…. can you give me an example of another utility pole that would count?

We discussed some of this in the original thread, so you can hop over there and take a look.

JamesPolk
    Participant

Thanks, I didn’t see that thread.

jpatten
    Participant

I just need to think of an interesting way to take a picture of one… How to take one that stands out. I have been carrying our camera around past 2 days hoping to see something interesting

corsec67
    Participant

I just need to think of an interesting way to take a picture of one… How to take one that stands out. I have been carrying our camera around past 2 days hoping to see something interesting

My method was to get close and isolate it against the sky for one of them where the single pole is interesting, and against snow for the others.

For Thenationalfreak and jpatten, who wanted an example:
    flickr page

(I don’t think I am going to use this one because I think that the 3 I chose are better, but in the world of farktography better is almost impossible to judge)

jpatten
    Participant

nice picture.. don’t have any snow around here…. wish I did but not likely anytime soon…. Bu I know I can find something

jpatten
    Participant

I have a few what I think are nice ones.. Then last night we had a unexpected and SHORT lived snow shower so I throw on my coat and run outside to get a few of the snow and took another utility pole shot that I think moves into my favorites category … saving it for the contest 🙂

However… for the long arm of the law

U-Man
    Participant

Hey, does the photo have to include the entire utility pole to ‘prove’ that it isn’t a lightpost or something? I was out New Years day and got some shots – in 10 degree F, 30 mph winds weather. Brrr. On some of them, the shots I got that exclude the top of the pole are better than the wider angle ones.

I suppose I could link to a wider angle photo of the same scene. Or is the honor system good enough?

Curious
    Participant

U-Man historically we use the honor system. there is a bot that checks for images that were entered in earlier contests since you can only use an image once but if a repeat is found the usual reaction from us is that it’s an honest mistake. i know, i’ve done that.

corsec67
    Participant

My take on U-Man‘s question is whether the picture has to include the enitre utility pole, or can it be almost a macro shot, like here:

flickr page

(if this is ok I might use it)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t see why a photo like that would be a problem. I mean, there’s still no streetlight in the shot. But I’ll leave the final word up to schnee since this is his theme suggestion.

However… for the long arm of the law

Are those streetlights on that pole?

jpatten
    Participant

No, Its a traffic camera, and the two other things are … well not sure of the exact term, but connectors for wires attached to the pole

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ahhhh gotcha

schnee
    Participant

of all the images shown, I would not DQ any of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘01-09-08 – Utility Poles’ is closed to new replies.