01-09-08 – Utility Poles

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-09-08 – Utility Poles

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    jpatten
    Participant

posting it here doesn’t disqualify it from entering?

corsec67
    Participant

posting it here doesn’t disqualify it from entering?

not at all.
    Just, if I were to post something cool, other people might be inspired to make something better as well.

jpatten
    Participant

good point.. Ok, well I hadn’t been sure I wanted to use that one, but its nice to know It’s available if the others don’t stack up as well as I’d like

sleeping
    Participant

Are these too much like pylons, do you think?

jpatten
    Participant

I would have called the one on the right a tower. .. But thats just my opinion… Feel free to disagree

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

SLEEPING: In my opinion, they’re all power POLES… not towers.

I wish I could use this one… 🙁

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x212/bobdobalita/POLE.jpg

jpatten
    Participant

I do really like that one

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I have some very similar ones that I am using… but on my honesty, I can’t use the one I want. >:I

jpatten
    Participant

I am hoping to snap a couple more for consideration before the contest starts this evening

U-Man
    Participant

I just had a thought. I could submit a photo of my mother-in-law. She’s Polish and really likes to clean when she comes for a visit = Utility Pole. Not gonna though.

I had way more fun with this contest than I thought I would. I mean, c’mon, they’re utility poles. However, they’re also all over the place and I found myself looking for ‘good ones’ over the past two weeks while driving. It will be fun to see what we get tonight and tomorrow.

soosh
    Participant

what about the pilings that hold up a pier? They are long wooden cylindrical logs used as support. Do they count as utility poles? What about the waist-high concrete-filled pipes that are often used to designate parking?

soosh
    Participant

also, this photo: no good because there’s a light on it?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

what about the pilings that hold up a pier? They are long wooden cylindrical logs used as support. Do they count as utility poles? What about the waist-high concrete-filled pipes that are often used to designate parking?

I would not consider either of those examples utility poles. Utility poles carry the utilities (electric, telephone, cable too in some places). Your other example with the light on it would also not count, sorry.

soosh
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

This is a pretty narrow field, but I can work within that.

It might be worth explicitly pointing out in the first post of the thread that bridge abutments, pilings, interstate sign poles, etc, are excluded.

And honestly not to pick details, but would a pole with a light such as above where the light was non-functional or otherwise turned off be accepted? Or a cropped version of the above pole where the light was out of frame?

soosh
    Participant

Also, if a utility pole and a streetlight are both in the shot, is that ok?

(looking through my photos I have on hand trying to figure out if they qualify or not)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘01-09-08 – Utility Poles’ is closed to new replies.