01-25-12 – Stoned

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-25-12 – Stoned

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos where rocky things are prominent; anything from sand and/or rocks to boulders and/or mountains.

Another solid theme from ravnostic!

staplermofo
    Participant

Is artificial granite ok? It’s mostly natural stone.

ravnostic
    Participant

Gee, like I’m supposed to direct the legendary SMF on what’s appropriate?!? I feel honored! Or subjugated? I remember a time in November when I referred unto my member…

Since it’s you, and I’m both humbled and a bit titty-el-ated by the inquiry, I’ll suggest if it has Schwing~line in any way involved, it’s in. Iron, of course, is refined from ‘ore’, aka rocks.

But for the restuvus, this is totally concrete: This is not about concrete. ‘Stone’, for the purpose of this contest, can be from micron-sized particles collected and returned from earth from cometary debris, to Mt. Everest or, if you’re a size queen, Olympus Mons on Mars. It’s about the rocks, do’ncha know?

Igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic. That kind of stuph.

Barracuda
    Participant

I’ve got 2 of my 3 down stone cold. Still debating on if I should try to get something new into the mix, or stick to the archives on this one since Dallas is more than a stones throw from anything inspiring. (that’s all the rock related puns I could come up with – maybe after drink or two…)

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ve had my entries picked out for this one for months now-ever since it went into the hopper. They all happen to be from the same day, actually. It was a very rocky kind of day.

ravnostic
    Participant

I got a shot this summer, and I think a couple more contenda’s (now) yesterday–but I’m STILL not final on my pics. Go figure!!

fluffybunny
    Participant

But for the restuvus, this is totally concrete: This is not about concrete. ‘Stone’, for the purpose of this contest, can be from micron-sized particles collected and returned from earth from cometary debris, to Mt. Everest or, if you’re a size queen, Olympus Mons on Mars. It’s about the rocks, do’ncha know?

Igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic. That kind of stuph.

I am locked, cocked and ready to rock. Its good to be back in it agrain after taking SOOC off. Granite, I was only out for a week, but it seemed like a lava longer.

ravnostic
    Participant

**groans** at fluffybunny!

lolz

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I’ve had my entries picked out for this one for months now-ever since it went into the hopper. They all happen to be from the same day, actually. It was a very rocky kind of day.

Eastern Sierra trip? I remember the set you posted in the gallery had a lot of mountains and rock formations.

ravnostic don’t sweat your picks–you should know by now the whims of the voters are near-impossible to predict 😛
    Look at it this way; less time picking = more time for drinking … actually, I think you should have a few drinks and THEN pick your three 😈

mopsy
    Participant

Well, when one puts off getting to the perfect area, one has to expect the weather to make things difficult. I was planning on Tuesday driving to a neighboring town before work. It has a beautiful, high, rock wall along the river. But we are now in the beginning stages of an ice storm that is suppose to lay a minimum 1/4 inch of ice over the area. The rest of the week does not look any better. So it will have to be archives for me. Nothing sensational, but I know I have some rocks.

Barracuda
    Participant

Plam’s Sierra pics are wonderful. Wish I’d had more time and equipment during my Tahoe trip this summer. I’ve got one or two from that album that’ll likely end up in my selections.

ravnostic
    Participant

mopsy–any chance of getting the site with the sheeting of ice storm? I think that could be all sorts of *win*!

x^0 my local pub just reopened up, so uh…yeah, that’s kind of gotten in the way a bit. But I’m getting some shots for Strange, at least!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Eastern Sierra trip? I remember the set you posted in the gallery had a lot of mountains and rock formations.

You know me so well. I might substitute one pic from my time here at Mauna Kea just to add a little variety, but the entries I have now are all from the Alabama Hills in the Sierra Foothills near Lone Pine.

Barracuda
    Participant

Right now two of mine are from Tahoe, one from San Francisco, all from the same trip this past July. I have one from an older trip to the Japanese Gardens in Portland that I’ve considered, and took a macro / narrow depth of field shot of some gravel today at the park, but likely stay with what I’ve got.

U-Man
    Participant

mopsy–any chance of getting the site with the sheeting of ice storm? I think that could be all sorts of *win*!

Mopsy, if you are thinking of Piers Gorge after an ice storm – I’d suggest you go back and start combing the archives. 🙂 While there are paths, they were slightly treacherous in the summer sun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘01-25-12 – Stoned’ is closed to new replies.