01-25-12 – Stoned

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-25-12 – Stoned

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

Also re vuprop, two things bug me about those photos. One, they look way better than mine and I’m jealous 👿 Two, those huge friggin watermarks ruin it for me. Way over-the-top IMO.

Agreed completely. I won’t vote for them because it seems to me he is just advertizing.
    On a side note I wish I could convince any of my friends to visit Fark and vote on these contests. I might get a few more votes that way. Or is it just that my photos actually suck and no one will tell me?

Hey Loki,

We all have photos that suck, my keeper rate is likely < 10% and that's on an "I tried to get the shot" basis not a "shutter click" basis. If I was counting shutter clicks it would likely be < 1%.

FWIW:
    I am not soap boxing here, understanding another person’s life is impossible for anyone. It seems like you might be up against a few challenges, but you have one HUGE advantage that I (and probably many of us) would kill for,… location. You are 100 miles from Yosemite and maybe a couple hundred from the Grand Canyon. I would KILL to have that kind of access. For me, that is only going to happen a hand full of times in my life (unless I win the lottery).

I lived in southern Idaho and western Washington when I was young and had little to my name. I got out to Yellowstone, the Tetons and pretty much anywhere in WA every chance I could. Did I say that I would KILL for your access?

Anyways, hope some perspective helps.

Gratuitous Red Green:

“Remember, I’m pulling for ya. We’re all in this together”

“When you feel like a toad on the highway of life… and everyone seems like a steel-belted radial… when you’re lying there squished in an assortment of bodily fluids… at least you left your mark”

Heh I would kill for the transportation to get to those places too. Right now I have no job and only a 50cc scooter for a ride. It would only take the better part of a week to get to the California border since I cannot use it on a highway legally. lol That lottery thing would rock! Maybe I should start buying tickets?

fluffybunny
    Participant

Heh I would kill for the transportation to get to those places too. Right now I have no job and only a 50cc scooter for a ride. It would only take the better part of a week to get to the California border since I cannot use it on a highway legally. lol That lottery thing would rock! Maybe I should start buying tickets?

Gah, that sucks. NV is one of those states that doesn’t like scooters I guess. I researched “motorized bicycles” a while back and started a project to build one (so many projects, so little time). This is a grey area in some states and you can ride them on the roadside. Same size motor (50cc) can get up to 40mph if you’re brave.

U-Man
    Participant

I’m not diggin’ the funniest category. I think it steals votes from the ‘real’ category.

lokisbong
    Participant

Heh I’ve had mine at least that fast going down hill. lol! But Nevada specifically says you cannot take them on the highway and I believe that means the side of the road too. Around town is cool. I don’t even have to register it or insure it. Hell the cops don’t even bug me about not having a helmet on my dome.

lokisbong
    Participant

I’m not diggin’ the funniest category. I think it steals votes from the ‘real’ category.

Yeah I agree. It seems like most of the funny votes are for less than funny entries.

mopsy
    Participant

I’m glad I’m not the only one disliking the funniest category. Or maybe it isn’t that I dislike the category, but what seems to get voted into it. I don’t suppose there is anything that can be done about it though. 🙁

Farktographer
    Participant

I don’t think the funny category has much benefit when it comes to farktography’s needs…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I was checking out the Newbs & Kotters tabs, saw this one and that his last visit was Classical Elements and thought, “that would’ve been a nice one for Classical Elements.” Sure enough, I think this one is the same shot. The Stoned version has been lightened, but everything’s otherwise identical, including water patterns. What say the rest of ye – repost or no?

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah it certainly looks identical other than the reddish hue to the leaves.

lokisbong
    Participant

Heh. I just went through the “funny” votes again. I even have one in there and my only goal when I took it was to show a neat looking rock with an interesting backdrop. No funny at all in the shot. I will say almost every one in the top twenty “funny” did have funny captions and things like smiley faces but 90% of them were just pretty and I got no funny from them.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

CISS looks fishy to me too. Either the same frame with different post-process, or the exact same composition and crop, with different camera settings.

Elsinore I had noticed the halo in aspidites photo. Thought it could be from selective dodging around the edges? He’s had a couple other entries where I noticed that effect, but since no one else said anything, I kept my yap shut til now.

Finally, I loathe the funny button. The ones that get the most votes are usually humorous, but there’s a whole bunch that are clearly not funny that get votes, for whatever reasons. I don’t know the reasoning behind adding the funny vote–being good and funny are not mutually exclusive, after all. In the old system, if something made me literally laugh-out-loud, I would almost always vote for it. If a funny photo won the contest, I had absolutely no problem with that.

Mopsy I think there is something we can do. I am going to send a Farkback saying that I don’t like the change, list a couple reasons why, and then ask if they can please change it back. If enough of us do this–especially long-time TotalFarkers–they just might listen. I know nothing will change if we just keep quiet … so I would encourage anybody who feels the same to write a Farkback too.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

On Bob857‘s photo, it does look the same other than lighting, however, he obviously would have been set up on a tripod, and it’s also possible that they’re consecutive frames with different exposure times and/or different processing. With the long exposure needed to create those photos, it’s possible that the water patterns would be pretty much the same. Unfortunately, neither photo has EXIF data available, and he didn’t link to his Flickr account where we could investigate further. I also wasn’t able to track down an account for him or the photo in question over there. So I’m a little reluctant to pull the photo without more clear evidence that it’s a dupe vs consecutive frames. The crop used may lend some support for it being the same shot, but again, it’s possible to use the same crop on two consecutive frames. I will ask about the photo in the thread, though–hopefully he’ll see it and respond.

As for the funny votes, I agree that a lot of them are a complete mystery as to why someone would vote “Funniest” for them. I definitely would encourage anyone who isn’t happy with the new voting to contact Farkback, but also post in the Fark Farktography forum so it’s visible to others as the feedback PS’ers have offered in their forum is.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Zero, almost forgot to say – congrats on your publishing credit! I had a few of mine published in the local small-circulation paper a couple of years ago (winners of a BBQ contest my Rotary club sponsored) but they were unattributed. Still, regardless of the size of the paper or attribution, it’s cool to show to friends & family and say “that’s mine!” Almost feels like a little kid – “Look what I made, mommy!” 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Also, aspidites responded thusly: “Nope, I shot this with a CPOL and a couple of Galen Rowell’s graduated neutral density filters then I processed it with Photoshop Camera Raw, cleaned up some dust on my sensor then compressed the shiat out of it so it wouldn’t get yank because of the file size like last week.”

Some seriously amazing stuff shot with grad ND filters this week!

mopsy
    Participant

Zero, I’m in! Will compose my reasons why I feel the Funniest Vote does not work for our group and send it to Farkback. We’ll see what happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘01-25-12 – Stoned’ is closed to new replies.