01-25-12 – Stoned

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-25-12 – Stoned

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

CISS thanks! I have at most the maturity level of a 15-year-old, so I pretty much always feel like a kid 🙂

Good to hear, Mopsy! Already sent my farkback. If big-name farktographers like you (or U-man) write in, that will probably carry more weight than upstarts like me. I will also post sumthin in the Forum like Els said. Tomorrow or Saturday though–gotta get up early tomorrow so its bedtime for me.

U-Man
    Participant

Aaack. There are too many conversations going on here. I’m getting confuzzled.

Lokisbong – I agree with Els. Your pics don’t suck at all. I just ran a Bibliostats early –> late entries for Loki and you’ve come a long way, baby.

Hmmm. Graduated Neutral Density filters. This damn hobby…three’s always something else to wanna buy. I’m looking at a softbox first though.

Lokii – When I was in med school, my wife and I were newly married. We had one car (a sweet Buick we bought from her grandma for $1100 and sold five years later for $1200) that my wife used to get to work. I rode a kick-start Honda 50 cc with homemade faux-leather saddle bags to school. It was…memorable. 🙂

I agree with Elsinore’s statement about the Bob857 photo. With a long exposure, variations in the the water pattern might average-out.

ZE – congrats on the publishing thing. It’s a pretty nice photo. too.

And I’ll write something to the powers about the “Funny” vote.

I think I got everything.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well That means a ton coming from you And Elsinore. Thank you. A bunch.

And Yeah the scooter is fun as long as you don’t wanna do highway speeds. Bonus is it has an electric starter. so unless temps drop below 32 F I don’t have to use the kickstart. Once I find a full time job again I will be getting a super cheap car and a decent motorcycle with helmet!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Hmmm. Graduated Neutral Density filters. This damn hobby…three’s always something else to wanna buy. I’m looking at a softbox first though.

GND filters are my absolute favorite supplementary photography tool. I was recently looking at getting a *reverse* GND filter, but they’re a bit steep for a grad student to afford, so I’ll have to wait a while. I’d be interested to see the kinda stuff you’d get up to with one, though, U-man.

orionid
    Participant

(IE, I have an ever-growing set of cokin filters)

What filters do you find most helpful in this age of digital photography?

I’ve got a cokin system also, and I’ve only got about 8-10, some of which I’ve abandoned using due to the magic of Photoshop (Speed filter, for example). I’ve had the filters and rack since my Pentax K1000 (OK… who’s nostalgia meters did I just trigger?).
    I’ve found that there’s only a few that I end up using anything like regularly, and others are money ill-spent.

I usually abuse my GND’s (I have a one-half stop and a two-stop).

Truckin’ by Orionid, on Flickr

Observatories at Dusk by Orionid, on Flickr

I use solid red, blue, green, yellow, and orange with black and white, but not as often as I should.

Liberty Enlightening the World by Orionid, on Flickr

I’ll also use the colors for various color castings like here:

Kitchen Sink by Orionid, on Flickr

Filtered by Orionid, on Flickr

Gas Mask by Orionid, on Flickr

I also used the color-cast ones as flash gels before santa brought me a set of real flash gels this year.

The CPL sits in a box, it’s too difficult to use with the frame, so I just keep on using my cheapo bestbuy CPL. The black and white diffusers might actually get some use now that I’m gearing up to explore portraiture. The tungsten balance was a waste of money before I knew you could change WB in camera. And I just got a graduated tobacco and graduated red for christmas that I plan on using for urban automotive shots and sunsets. There’s still a few other effects filters that I want, mostly because of farktography. PS would be easier, but dammit, I want to stay in the rules when I’m doing my crazy shiat.

U-Man
    Participant

You guys suck. 🙂

/Opens wallet and gives the camera-man alla da money.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Christ, something else to google and buy?!?!?!?!?! *slumps away to oogle the toys*

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… so a Neutral Density is now on the list.

I’ve got the light and dark sepias, a graduated blue, a yellow, a polarized, fog, 4 point star and a couple others, and I know there’s a ton of ’em out there…. narrowing down the wish list is daunting… especially (as mentioned earlier) with Photoshop/Irfanview/etc being available to supplement.

Barracuda
    Participant

Yeah, a ND is certainly on my buy list now after this week, however must restrain from the graduated stuff till I can justify the cost. Damnit all of you so much. 😛 Between the XSi, 55-200mm, Cir polarizing, a couple UV’s, battery, 16gb, remote, oh, and Lightroom cause there’s only so much Picasa can do, I’m tapped out on camera $$ for a while. Must refocus my attention back to my upcoming custom bike delivery in about 2 mo.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I know there are much better filters out there but if you are not sure about GND and other filters, just wanting to try them or on a budget then Fotodiox has them about as cheap as anyone. They carry step rings and a few other things too.

http://www.fotodiox.com/

Kestrana
    Participant

Seriously, if you’ve never gotten filters before first get a circular polarizer and then a neutral density filter. A midrange CPL isn’t that expensive, around $30. I pretty much run with that on my lens at all times when I’m outside during the day, and you can use it to get soft water effects like a ND, just not as extreme.

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah I should use my circular polarizer filter more often but I went cheap and it doesn’t spin around very easy and that usually messes with my focus if I am not paying close enough attention. I do like having one just not the one I have. lol

Farktographer
    Participant

ND filters? I’ll just leave this here…

What ND Filter? by Farktographer1, on Flickr

Cropped

Effect by Farktographer1, on Flickr

Also, I keep thinking about trying black card photography for the gradient ND filter effect. Anyone else ever try this? I remember looking it up when someone suggested it as a theme a while ago.

Barracuda
    Participant

^ ^ I wear prescription sunglasses, then again, that alone may make for an interesting look, but probably not. Bought a Hoya DMC PRO1 UV filter and Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer, going to go play in the woods and by the lake with the Polarizer as soon as I get a chance. ND’s will have to wait till later this year.

kashari
    Participant

orionid I LOVE your Zen shot, did you set that up or where was it? It’s such nice lighting and really has a soothing feeling to it.

As for the watermarking, those are pretty obtrusive, but if they’re for sale or published, I can understand given the occasional ‘right-click, saved..ohhh, it’s my new background’, etc.. I think they’re still kinda too big for here though….

Awesome stuff again this week, y’all rock! (ughhh)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘01-25-12 – Stoned’ is closed to new replies.