02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photography in the abstract style. Difficulty: No stained glass (aka Mondrian). Note (from Wikipedia): “Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world”

Thanks for the theme suggestion, olavf!

Morningbreath
    Participant

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=19

here is a gallery of abstract photos, if people are looking for ideas, or don’t really have a clue as to what “abstract” means(like me)

and here is a definition:

Abstract
    In the photographic sense, an image that is conceived apart from concrete reality, generally emphasizing lines, colours and geometrical forms, and their relationship to one another.

U-Man
    Participant

Holy shiat Morningbreath, some of the photos in that link are really, really, really good. Humbling.

I was going to say that this style resonates with me. But I love all of this stuff.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I agree those are cool photos, but a lot of them I woudln’t have thought “abstract” when seeing them. When I think abstract photography I think of stuff that doesn’t have much obvious “object”/”subject” to it. I’m gonna have to do more reading up on this one myself…

lokisbong
    Participant

I agree those are cool photos, but a lot of them I woudln’t have thought “abstract” when seeing them. When I think abstract photography I think of stuff that doesn’t have much obvious “object”/”subject” to it. I’m gonna have to do more reading up on this one myself…

That was my impression also. like the blurry xmas lights in my “spiked nog” happy holidays entry.

U-Man
    Participant

I agree with both of you. That was my opinion before doing a little googling. It seems many people out there use a broader definition.

IMO we have to use a broad definition and it will be interesting to see what our voters think. I have a few things in my files and have an idea or two. They are all subject-less.

olavf
    Participant

Here’s some humbling examples of what a I had in mind when I suggested the theme:

http://www.thephotoargus.com/inspiration/40-astounding-examples-of-abstract-photography/

which is almost ‘pure’ abstraction. But, I like the wikipedia definition of “abstract art”:

“Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world”

Which to me means not taking a picture of a “thing”, but rather the shapes, textures, patterns, etc. that make up that thing, or collection of things

lokisbong
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense to me Olavf. This is why I do farktography. So I can learn new photography styles and techniques.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The examples olavf linked to, and the wikipedia definition of abstract art are definitely more along the lines of what I think of when I think abstract photography. I think we shouldn’t go *too* broad because then it really isn’t abstract, but finding a line for what’s abstract vs what isn’t will almost certainly be impossible. Maybe something from the wikipedia entry can be added to the description to help clarify for people?

U-Man
    Participant

…but finding a line for what’s abstract vs what isn’t will almost certainly be impossible.

That point was in my head. But I didn’t make it.:) I think we should aim at the wiki definition and accept a broad interpretation –> and then let the voters decide.

The examples that olavf provided speak to me. They say, “look at the incredibly cool shiat you can do with a camera and a nicely twisted imagination.”

I notice that many of the images I found are heavily photoshopped. Should we include a rule reminder? Or is the description getting too big already?

U-Man
    Participant
    Kestrana
    Participant

For once this is a contest where I will have far too many ideas rather than 1-2 good ones and a punt for #3.

olavf
    Participant

Okay, back with a working keyboard attached to my laptop :/

Adding some form of the wiki definition to the description doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all. Looking through Google myself, it seems like there are a lot of things billed as ‘abstract’ that really don’t seem to fit any definition that I’ve seen.

I don’t know that adding a no photoshopping reminder is all that necessary though, since all the other normal rules apply too…

/U-man, I hear ya. I’ve been poking through my own stuff and there are a number of shots that I’d classify as abstract.

LeicaLens
    Participant

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Oil-on-Water-5.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Smoke-11.jpg (crop the candle)

You should combine these two for Smoke on the Waaaaaaaaaaaattttttteeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

And fire on the ice (or was it “in the eyes”?)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think it was “A fire in the skies”. I can’t hear that song without thinking of pep band since we played it so much then…

Oh and U-man: Didn’t you use that candle pic in another contest already?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • The topic ‘02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.