02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Oh and U-man: Didn’t you use that candle pic in another contest already?

Yeah, probably. I have used most of those in contests. I was just throwing out examples.

soosh
    Participant
    Unholy Moses
    Participant

I get the feeling this one is going to be one of the better contests. Well done, olavf!!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a few thousand pictures to go through … 🙂

monsieurstabby
    Participant

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=19

here is a gallery of abstract photos, if people are looking for ideas, or don’t really have a clue as to what “abstract” means(like me)

and here is a definition:

Abstract
    In the photographic sense, an image that is conceived apart from concrete reality, generally emphasizing lines, colours and geometrical forms, and their relationship to one another.

Wow. Those are all great, but the one on the third page with the marble and the sunflower is just incredible. I might have to steal that idea for another day…

Curious
    Participant

just spent 15-20 minutes looking through the archives and already have too many. picking three will be hard. part of the problem is what the finished 640 wide product looks like.

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

A big thank you to Farktography for making me pick up a camera again and to olavf for making me think out of my normal picture views.

Kestrana
    Participant

Welcome to the party 😀

olavf
    Participant

Thanks guys. I hope everyone has had as much fun working on this one as I have.

/I guess I’m on the hook for actually coming up with some good stuff this week =P

wrayvynn
    Participant

When I hear ‘abstract’ I think Salvador Dali, and dream symbology…

ennuipoet
    Participant

I hated this idea, wasn’t going to even enter. I’m to wrapped in the concrete mindset, “light, composition, reality” of photography. Then I started playing, trying to come up with anything to shoot. I didn’t break any new ground, but I did discover an unexpected joy in thinking…differently…nice idea olavf

U-Man
    Participant

I have 4 possibles that were all shot while at Disney in ’08. One is getting saved for next week. Two will probably be used this week. Gonna try something else tonight.

olavf
    Participant

Heh. Disney can be pretty abstract U-Man.

I think I’ve got three pretty solid ones picked out, and a bunch that are in general a bit too subtle. One or two other ideas but I don’t know if I’ll have time. Especially with my friend’s [strike]monkey[/strike] toddler climbing all over me.

linguine
    Participant

So Im having trouble deciding what fits abstract and what doesn’t. Do any of these pictures seem more like they fit than others? http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/sets/72157622386003677/

olavf
    Participant

Personally, I don’t think the ‘smoke’ one really fits the definition, and I’m not sure what to make of the wall one, as cool as it is.

The snow covered branches is my favorite. I like the trees, though personally I wouldn’t name it that so people’s minds make up their own ideas 😉

edited to add: Branches, crate, water, and blocks are exactly the sorts of things I had in mind when I submitted the contest.

justkat
    Participant

I hated this idea, wasn’t going to even enter. I’m to wrapped in the concrete mindset, “light, composition, reality” of photography. Then I started playing, trying to come up with anything to shoot. I didn’t break any new ground, but I did discover an unexpected joy in thinking…differently…nice idea olavf

I wasn’t as strongly against it as that, but had a similar conversion. A sort of “aren’t pictures supposed to be OF something?” approach… but when I started playing around with it, I came to find it fascinating and fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • The topic ‘02-03-10 – Abstract Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.