02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Seriously, the Liters BROUGHT IT in this thread. I definitely voted harder and heavier at the bottom of the thread than the top. A lot of folks who don’t loiter around these parts gave up stunning work. Not that all you did not not kick some serious ass, but the late entries this week were, as a rule, stunning.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Also, orionid, that Akaka falls picture is unbelievable-all my photos of it had a blown-out sky, and I just couldn’t get the color balance right for that incredible green. I may soon have a lot more time to practice on it, though…

Thanks!
    The sun was high overhead to my left and barely forward, and I used a Cokin graduated density filter at a slight angle to horizontal. I was following the shadow of the valley more than anything else, just to keep the sun from blowing out the top right side. You can see the graduation if you look close.

Otherwise, I had the camera set for vivid saturation (one of the few times I’ve deliberately taken it out of standard), and brought up the contrast in post by tweaking curves.

Are you headed out island way? Would the scopes at Mauna Kea have anything to do with that? I are envious.

God, I love GND filters. My #1 favorite photography tool.

Also, yes the Mauna Kea scopes have a lot to do with the fact that I’m headed out to Hawaii. I just got an offer from the graduate program at UH Manoa, and it looks pretty likely (not 100%, but pretty likely) that I’ll be spending the next 5-6 years there getting a Ph.D. (if all goes well).

Nice!

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Seriously, the Liters BROUGHT IT in this thread. I definitely voted harder and heavier at the bottom of the thread than the top. A lot of folks who don’t loiter around these parts gave up stunning work. Not that all you did not not kick some serious ass, but the late entries this week were, as a rule, stunning.

As I am -literally- at the top of the thread, this makes me quite sad. Ha, but I know what you mean and do certainly agree. Hopefully this is the kind of contest that produces new “regulars.”

Apparently people would rather visit Mopsy‘s San Francisco than mine. But understandably so – nice photos! I considered a similar sailboat and fog shot, but my fog was waaaay blown out. Hers is lovely.

And I was not aware that markie_farkie had been to Iceland. Interesting.

mopsy
    Participant

bucky_bacon, thanks for the nice words on my Golden Gate Bridge. My husband and I were out there a year ago September. I was fascinated with how the fog encases the bridge and leaves everthing else clear.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

It is beautiful. I’m going back in two weeks! Going to load up on future contest pics while I’m out there 🙂

mopsy
    Participant

Lucky you bb, I wish I was going again. Try to get to China Town. I got some interesting pics there. Have you done Alcatraz yet? That was really special. So was Muir Woods.

ravnostic
    Participant

Um…anyone else noticed the boobies on this theme?

*Vote for Moundtans, Wawafahs, and Vaultkantoes to be precisely one week prior to the aforementioned honeymoon, not because it’s the only way the rest of us will have a chance, but because they shouldn’t spend their *entire* honeymoon worrying about some silly little contest photos, when they could be getting leid instead.

//with each other, I mean. Not the part about the rest of us having a chance.

//Oh, bother!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Also, yes the Mauna Kea scopes have a lot to do with the fact that I’m headed out to Hawaii. I just got an offer from the graduate program at UH Manoa, and it looks pretty likely (not 100%, but pretty likely) that I’ll be spending the next 5-6 years there getting a Ph.D. (if all goes well).

Awesome! Congrats and best wishes, Plamadude30k. Well, maybe just pretty good wishes. The part of me that’s jealous of you getting to live and study in Hawaii is holding me back some. 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

“Epic” feels like it might be starting to lose its meaning from overuse, so I won’t call it that, but we just exceeded our previous recent record holder of Weather:

We’ll have to see how it holds out against Sat night’s vote influx, but regardless, it’s going to be a pretty good one.

[Graph since updated to show final results]

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Awesome! Congrats and best wishes, Plamadude30k. Well, maybe just pretty good wishes. The part of me that’s jealous of you getting to live and study in Hawaii is holding me back some. 😉

Thanks! The one caveat is, of course, that I’ve been working extremely hard to get there for the past five years, and in the next five to six I’ll be working even harder.

Also, I love graphs and statistics. Thank you so much for posting them, it makes me happy.

Curious
    Participant

hrrm…initial indications are my ‘make it look like a retro travel brochure picture’ is a fail. Such is life. I like them, anyway. Remind me of the ones I saw when I was a wee lad, seeing the stuff in person for the first time.

i suspected that would happen but it’s a cool idea and well done. i voted for all three.

ravnostic
    Participant

Best of wishes, Plamadude

//can I come visit?

Thanks, Curious Ya win some, ya lose some…I don’t think I’ll do well again till ‘Pattern’, so I won’t worry about it too much.

Seems to me that since “5 is right out” we’ve had a stronger showing than in recent memory. Do we need to do a MP theme every 6 weeks or so?

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Lucky you bb, I wish I was going again. Try to get to China Town. I got some interesting pics there. Have you done Alcatraz yet? That was really special. So was Muir Woods.

I did spend quite a while in Chinatown last time. Although I didn’t take as many photos as I would have liked, and – unusually for me – tried to take in the actual experience instead of capturing it all on the camera. I will certainly go back this time, though. We also spent close to six hours at Alcatraz. That greatly surpassed my expectations. I highly recommend it to anyone in the area. Not familiar with Muir Woods, but I will certainly look it up upon your recommendation.

If anyone is interested, here is fb album with a selection of photos –
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71119&id=1427820050&l=c484948fde

orionid
    Participant

Soooo…. Other than congratsawesomsaucejealous, the obvious reply is: If I can convince the navy to send me back to Oahu, how much lead time should I give before Island hopping over for a weekend and using you as an excuse to not get kicked off the moutaintop once the sun goes down?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Soooo…. Other than congratsawesomsaucejealous, the obvious reply is: If I can convince the navy to send me back to Oahu, how much lead time should I give before Island hopping over for a weekend and using you as an excuse to not get kicked off the moutaintop once the sun goes down?

It depends-I don’t know how often or how soon they let the grad students on the big telescopes. I’d be happy to have visitors, though, as I am now. If you’re ever in the Tucson area PM me. I have a ton of nights up at a telescope right here, and I can always use company (that’s a standing invitation for anybody in the area, really). Rav came and visited me last month, and I think he had a good time.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure’ is closed to new replies.