02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I’ll check the mail, if you like.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I vote no text

ravnostic
    Participant

I vote no text

Motion carries…standard farktography rules apply.

Curious
    Participant

I vote no text

what? how can i explain the subtleties of my art to the photographically challenged voters otherwise.

seriously, i could go for some “wish you were here” or “visit exciting ____” but can do w/o as well. IMO text could add humor but lord knows that gets into vote whoring.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

People will caption, anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point 😉

deveyn
    Participant

Well-known ‘people, places or things’ that most people would recognize as being from, or pertaining to, any particular regional area. Theme is GLOBAL in scope, for friendly farktographers from frontiers further afar.

Theme suggestion kudos go to ravnostic–thanks!

Two of my photos are being used by the Visitor’s Bureau for their postcards, are those OK to enter?

ravnostic
    Participant

Well-known ‘people, places or things’ that most people would recognize as being from, or pertaining to, any particular regional area. Theme is GLOBAL in scope, for friendly farktographers from frontiers further afar.

Two of my photos are being used by the Visitor’s Bureau for their postcards, are those OK to enter?

I’d certainly say that would qualify (and probably spectacularly to–congrats!), so long as there’s no rule against using photographs that have been used professionally (I’m not aware of any rule, but I’ll let the long-timers chime in). If it can be used on a postcard, I can easily imagine it’s use in a travel brochure (in fact, it’s on my list to get some local TBs for ideas of what to shoot–though I suggested the theme, I haven’t even pursued a shot yet.)

deveyn
    Participant

I’d certainly say that would qualify (and probably spectacularly to–congrats!), so long as there’s no rule against using photographs that have been used professionally (I’m not aware of any rule, but I’ll let the long-timers chime in). If it can be used on a postcard, I can easily imagine it’s use in a travel brochure (in fact, it’s on my list to get some local TBs for ideas of what to shoot–though I suggested the theme, I haven’t even pursued a shot yet.)

Well I don’t think they count as “professional” since I wasn’t paid for them. The tourism folks came to me because they needed some underwater shots.

It looks like a lot of my stuff might be used in the 2011 phone directory as well since I’ve shot all four states of the FSM here.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The only issue that would come up with something like that is if you signed some kind of agreement with the third party not to redistribute photos you allowed them to use, or if you took photos while employed that would be considered property/copyright of your employer regardless of your taking them. In those cases, the third party or employer might not be happy with you, but that would be your issue and not Farktography’s (unless of course they contacted Fark and said they’re the legal copyright holder and requested a take down of the image).

The main thing as far as we’re concerned is whether or not you actually took the photo, and if you did, then it doesn’t really matter where else you may have posted the photo or what you’ve used the photo for, professionally or otherwise.

deveyn
    Participant

The only issue that would come up with something like that is if you signed some kind of agreement with the third party not to redistribute photos you allowed them to use, or if you took photos while employed that would be considered property/copyright of your employer regardless of your taking them. In those cases, the third party or employer might not be happy with you, but that would be your issue and not Farktography’s (unless of course they contacted Fark and said they’re the legal copyright holder and requested a take down of the image).

The main thing as far as we’re concerned is whether or not you actually took the photo, and if you did, then it doesn’t really matter where else you may have posted the photo or what you’ve used the photo for, professionally or otherwise.

Nope, no issues here. The only thing I asked for in exchange was a photo credit. There were no agreements or contracts. I just wanted to help out the local tourism board.

clouddancer
    Participant

Finding it a little difficult to come up with something locally for us that well known enough. So my two ideas thus far are:
    1. Mt. Katahdin – it’s the highest point in Maine. Is that ok?
    2. The only other thing I can think of is that Stephen King lives in Bangor. Is that also ok for being on the travel brochure? I’m relatively certain I can get Hubby to take me by his house for a few pictures before the contest.

Other than that, we’re pretty nondescript except all the trees in the northern geographical half of Maine. What do you guys think of when you think of Maine?

Editing to add:
    After searching some, I find we’re notable for moose, lobsters, and a few other things, and while I have pictures of some of them, they weren’t taken by me. I also haven’t come across them since beginning to take pictures myself, so I’m not able to archive dive for much of this. I’d love to just drive around and take pictures, but not sure we have the resources for that, especially since the furnace has needed a couple of (expensive, it seems) replacement parts. Maybe I’m being too picky in that I’m thinking what Maine is *only* known for, because skiing, sledding, and all that is done elsewhere. Also, fall foliage hasn’t been that good of a showing the last couple of years. We have coastline and Acadia, but I may not be able to get down there as going those places is at least a 2 to 3 hour drive one way from up here. Even if I only get two pics, are those two suggestions up there enough?

Uranus
    Participant

2. The only other thing I can think of is that Stephen King lives in Bangor. Is that also ok for being on the travel brochure? I’m relatively certain I can get Hubby to take me by his house for a few pictures before the contest.

oh, for sod’s sake, woman. 1.Knock on his door!! 2.Tell him what you’re up to and introduce him to Farktography. 3. Profit !! (votewise)

/I would if I could

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

What do you guys think of when you think of Maine?

You pretty much hit it for me – Stephen King and nature.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

oh, for sod’s sake, woman. 1.Knock on his door!! 2.Tell him what you’re up to and introduce him to Farktography. 3. Profit !! (votewise)

/I would if I could

Or, ya know, kidnap him, tie him up to your bed, and break his legs with a sledgehammer. I hear he’s into that. 😉

Uranus
    Participant

lobster?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure’ is closed to new replies.