02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

What do you guys think of when you think of Maine?

You pretty much hit it for me – Stephen King and nature.

And thanks to Stephen King and nature I also associate Maine with all things Supernatural. So, vampires, undead children, the Devil and clowns in the sewers would also fit in this theme! 😛

clouddancer
    Participant

2. The only other thing I can think of is that Stephen King lives in Bangor. Is that also ok for being on the travel brochure? I’m relatively certain I can get Hubby to take me by his house for a few pictures before the contest.

oh, for sod’s sake, woman. 1.Knock on his door!! 2.Tell him what you’re up to and introduce him to Farktography. 3. Profit !! (votewise)

/I would if I could

And the only thing wrong with that is he’s probably not here. According to Hubby, who I just talked to, King actually lives in Florida for part of the year and doesn’t really spend a lot of time in that house. He also said that people stop regularly on the street to take pictures, so that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll see what I can come up with.

orionid
    Participant

Maine = MOOSE!
    Maine also = Acadia (which includes a Boy Scout High Adventure wilderness camp)

Get creative with it. Or use pics from somewhere else. Your last trip to NYC or the Magic Kingdom.

FWIW, Stephen King’s house would be kind of cool. I also have it on good authority that when he’s researching books, he’ll live elsewhere, too. He was a resident of the town I grew up in (Alliance, Oh) for 9 months while learning what life in a small Ohio town was like for “The Regulators” (Bachman).

ravnostic
    Participant

Just a thought–head to your local tourism office, pick up a brochure, and see what’s in it. Believe it or not, that’s exactly what I did–for I couldn’t really think of anything besides the Grand Canyon, and I wasn’t about to drive up there.

//I think balloons in a sewer, esp. if you can make it a street scene with a sign that reads ‘Bangor’ in it, would be a good start (a really really good start. They all float, you know.) Even better (use a hose if you must) if you can have a paper boat floating in the gutter toward the sewer. And a sure win if a kid is following the boat. 🙂

////damn. So much for my pictures. I talk too much. [zip it, people!]

clouddancer
    Participant

So who is going to be jealous if I say that fresh soft shell lobster at the store was 7.99/lb?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Depends. What time’s dinner? 😀

Oh, I’m not invited?!? Well, then put me down in the jealous category, I guess. 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

You can have lobster. I didn’t buy any, just took pictures. I don’t eat it. Seafood and I don’t get along.

QueenBee
    Participant

Do all three pictures have to be from the same place? meaning the same state.

and it’s one picture per entry right? Not three pics in one post kind of thing right?

ravnostic
    Participant

One picture per entry, correct.

Originally I’d the idea that all three images would be things that would appear on the same travel brochure, but I’m not going to hold anyone to that, esp. as it’s nearly impossible to get three posts grouped together anyway to provide that context to the voters.

QueenBee
    Participant

One picture per entry, correct.

Originally I’d the idea that all three images would be things that would appear on the same travel brochure, but I’m not going to hold anyone to that, esp. as it’s nearly impossible to get three posts grouped together anyway to provide that context to the voters.

that’s what I was thinking and asking if it was three pics to a post or not. to me that’d make more sense but im not the one making the rules 😀

Plamadude30k
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Having only seen the “iconic” photos of it, the first one is the only one that was recognizable to me without already knowing what I was looking at. That said, I like the third one, too. And as a two-fer, you could probably use a crop of any of the closer shots for the upcoming patterns contest.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Having only seen the “iconic” photos of it, the first one is the only one that was recognizable to me without already knowing what I was looking at. That said, I like the third one, too. And as a two-fer, you could probably use a crop of any of the closer shots for the upcoming patterns contest.

Oh, I’m saving my best photo from that day for the patterns contest. Really looking forward to that, actually.

linguine
    Participant

So how famous and recognizable are we talking about for this? If I was to do something from DC does it have to be some very recognizable landmark like the whitehouse or can it be of lesser known monuments or neighborhoods that most people might not instantly know is DC without a caption and just say its DC?

Uranus
    Participant

So how famous and recognizable are we talking about for this? If I was to do something from DC does it have to be some very recognizable landmark like the whitehouse or can it be of lesser known monuments or neighborhoods that most people might not instantly know is DC without a caption and just say its DC?

I’m kinda hoping that lesser known is OK, otherwise who the heck is going to recognise Zimbabwe?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure’ is closed to new replies.