02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Wasn’t Zimbabwe founded by ninjas? Wikipedia told me so, once.

ravnostic
    Participant

So how famous and recognizable are we talking about for this? If I was to do something from DC does it have to be some very recognizable landmark like the whitehouse or can it be of lesser known monuments or neighborhoods that most people might not instantly know is DC without a caption and just say its DC?

The theme says ‘well known’, but I can’t see everyone having been to the Eiffel, the Sphinx, the WTC, etc. And as a person who’s spent my time in hotels in not-so-well known places, I can say for certain that lots of them have put together a travel brochure–this may be especially true of shots from places well known in a particular region, but not much beyond it.

I’m all for putting up pictures that could be from a travel brochure, even if it’s not something to whole world would recognize. In fact, due to my lack of desire to drive 5 hours each way for pictures of either the Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam, I’m going with more regionally known images myself–my location was selected from the plethora of T.B.’s I glanced through at a kiosk in Scottsdale, Az.

Maybe we should amend the description a bit, editing out the “well known to most people” bit? Thoughts?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m good with that.

QueenBee
    Participant

One of the reasons I wanted to put the 3 pics together is that I thought it’d be easier for someone to figure out the location…for example, I am planning on using pictures of the shore. While there are lots of beaches around the world and nothing that specifically makes one stand out from another, I thought this picture might help people understand where I mean (not to mention I just love this picture)

http://tinypic.com/r/xfvyj7/7

ravnostic
    Participant

Eeek, QueenBee! iy-carumba! I’d say they’d get the point (and it should get some serious votes, too). I’d love to see three shots from the same region, but don’t want Elsinore to have to police all the entries for that (and how would we know, except in gross examples?). If E. wants to police it, fine, though.

clouddancer
    Participant

Isn’t one of the points of a travel brochure to introduce people to places they might not otherwise know about? Hence, I would think that lesser known places/people wouldn’t be too far out of the way. It could be a way of pointing out the incidentals, little other things that make a trip to see the one major thing a bit more worthwhile.

Sorry if I make no sense. Today and yesterday Mr. Chancellor has decided to be the grumpiest person on the planet so I’m not only a bit frustrated with him, I keep getting woken up at times I’d rather not, and this is one of those times so I”m not entirely awake. Guess it’s time to make coffee….

QueenBee
    Participant

Eeek, QueenBee! iy-carumba! I’d say they’d get the point (and it should get some serious votes, too). I’d love to see three shots from the same region, but don’t want Elsinore to have to police all the entries for that (and how would we know, except in gross examples?). If E. wants to police it, fine, though.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Ahh well hopefully people will just see them and put it together. I can’t pass on the opportunity to use that picture 😀

Uranus
    Participant

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Ahh well hopefully people will just see them and put it together. I can’t pass on the opportunity to use that picture 😀

It would be a shame if people didn’t get it in this theme.

We had a graffitti theme. Perhaps revisit it – The writing’s on the wall?

ravnostic
    Participant

We had a graffitti theme. Perhaps revisit it – The writing’s on the wall?

Orionid’s got one in the hopper that includes graffiti, “Urban Art” (which I hope is due to be scheduled soon–perfect to try out the new 50mm!)

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

One of the reasons I wanted to put the 3 pics together is that I thought it’d be easier for someone to figure out the location…for example, I am planning on using pictures of the shore. While there are lots of beaches around the world and nothing that specifically makes one stand out from another, I thought this picture might help people understand where I mean (not to mention I just love this picture)

Am I the only one who is having trouble seeing this? It has crashed my browser twice when I click that link.

QueenBee
    Participant

Am I the only one who is having trouble seeing this? It has crashed my browser twice when I click that link.

..Are you Italian? Do you have connections? Maybe it’s a sign you shouldn’t look…I don’t want to swim with da fishes…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Try this link, Zero: http://oi53.tinypic.com/xfvyj7.jpg
    It’s directly to the photo without all the surrounding tinypic code.

Oh, and QueenBee, that’s a hilarious photo.

QueenBee
    Participant

thanks 🙂 I think they covered it before the show first came to the shore tho 🙁 Booooo! I live about 20 min. from there.

lokisbong
    Participant

Try this link, Zero: http://oi53.tinypic.com/xfvyj7.jpg
    It’s directly to the photo without all the surrounding tinypic code.

Indeed! I almost had to clean Doritos off my monitor. luckily I was able to keep them in my mouth. Much awesomeness in that picture for sure.

kashari
    Participant

So are the 3 pics supposed to be of the same place or can they be totally unrelated?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • The topic ‘02-09-11 – It’s on the Travel Brochure’ is closed to new replies.