03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Yep, Fark does not recognize Flickr’s “rotate” – so FYI Flickrers, don’t use it!

Oh, the delicious irony. In a contest that features order, we have complete chaos!

zincprincess
    Participant
    ravnostic
    Participant

Yep, Fark does not recognize Flickr’s “rotate” – so FYI Flickrers, don’t use it!

Oh, the delicious irony. In a contest that features order, we have complete chaos!

It is delicious, but there is order within chaos, of course.

Your patio table ‘fish nets’ floor me. I’m giggling still. If humor can win this theme, you’ve cinched it.

//no, I’ve *never* owned a pair of fish net stockings. With webbing so loosely spaced. In black. Without matching heels.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow, that sucks! I always pre-rotate, so I had no idea.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Rav, I’ve got my fingers crossed – but not my sexy legs. Varicose veins, doncha know 😛

I noticed Kestrana allows downloading of her original size – I could download it, resize, and then post the small version on my Flickr. Then I could post the small version in the contest with a link to the real photo on her Flickr.

But should I? Is that wrong? Should I not do that?
    I’ll go feed the cats and then check back here …

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The problem is that it’s foliage. Foliage almost always results in huge file sizes. Add Flickr’s file bloat when they recompress images, and you’ve got a 400+k Fark-size image or 250+k 500 pixel medium size. I don’t think that’s a bad way to go if you’re willing to do that. The only thing that concerns me is that it will be difficult for you to compress it at a decent quality but at Fark pixel size, since it’s all foliage. But if it’s linked to her Flickr, that should help. If you go that route, you should be sure to upload the small 600-640 size compressed at a level that’s Fark-friendly, but then post the original of that one so Flickr doesn’t recompress and bloat it.

ravnostic
    Participant

I thought about that; I could do that stuff. I did do that stuff–then I thought that’s overstepping, as it doesn’t allow Kes control of her own image. So I refreshed/redisplayed without posting. *sigh*

Her image as I ‘save for web’d it (195kb):

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah the control piece concerns me most.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

195k won’t cut it. Fark’s 200k file size limit is fuzzy, and files routinely drop at 180k and up, and frequently above 130-150k. It’s safest to keep them at 100k and under. You could change the pixel size to 550-600 wide, but I don’t know that it would save you enough.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Yeah the control piece concerns me most.

Here’s my resized to 99.5kb

Does the quality look OK?

ravnostic
    Participant

I routinely post at 160-190kbish; usually not a problem so long as in ‘preview’ it takes it (most always does–I think the host-serving ‘flickr’ type sites present the ‘fuzzy’ factor; can’t be sure though).

Purple resized (128kb) looks okay. But I still take issue over the control part, so I’d just as soon wait for Kes to correct it (and hey, she might take a shot she likes even better tonight, and will thank us in the morning for not posting a 3rd!).

Kes, I’ll gladly take the above image offline if you wish.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m sending her a message in the hopes she’ll be able to get it and give us some direction on which way to go.

Rav: I’ve seen plenty of images that made it past preview at 160-190k that later disappeared and I had to go searching for them for restores. It doesn’t happen every time, but it does happen with some frequency, just so you know.

ravnostic
    Participant

Wow–Choc-Ful-A–nice!! There’s a lot of really good ones, actually. Plamadude‘s opera theatre, sleeping‘s mail, millera9‘s skylight and stadium seats among them. It’s going to be a good race!

ravnostic
    Participant

Rav: I’ve seen plenty of images that made it past preview at 160-190k that later disappeared and I had to go searching for them for restores. It doesn’t happen every time, but it does happen with some frequency, just so you know.

Happen much with me? I know I had a website IP addy snafoo a couple months ago, on my server end–but if you’re needed to pull mine from the void with any frequency please say so, as I can host-for-web much smaller (but hate the sacrifice in quality, such as in a contest like this one).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Not that I recall unless you specifically flagged me for a missing image. But there have been times things slip through the cracks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…’ is closed to new replies.