03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Great stuff this week, gang. I’m looking forward to a stellar smackdown next week between Soosh, Ravnostic and Plamadude.

Yes, well; it all depends on where you get your ‘stars’. Most likely there will only be one extra-terrestrial entry from this camp–if that. Shooting with ‘pattern’ in mind gave me most of my choices for ‘stars’, as much as ‘winter’ did for ‘pattern’ (though my choices may not reflect that.)

zincprincess
    Participant

Thanks! This week has been challenging so I was just glad to have found time to post at least one post before the contest went live. Also, a big “Thank you!” to zincprincess for suggesting I use a photo from the rainy windshield set for this contest. That was a great idea, I owe you one.

I would say you’re welcome, but you’re beating me! That’s the last time I make helpful suggestions. 😉

Well probably not. I’m glad it is going well. I would feel worse if it was a total flop.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t want to take up anymore space in the thread re: people using pictures for desktops, but I have to mention this:

It’s also legal under Fair Use AFAIK. Respect for the photographer/farktographer calls for asking permission, or at least letting the artist know that you like his work enough to want to use it though.

I don’t really think taking something for personal use falls under “Fair Use” doctrine. According to Wikipedia,

Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.

It goes on to say factors involved in considering whether something is Fair Use include

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

If everyone took a personal copy of something–art, music, what have you–it would lessen the potential market for the work (not that all of us have a “market” for our work per se, but still). And we’re talking personal use here, not educational or editorial/journalism type stuff (or even parody or satire, as Photoshoppers do with images), which is what Fair Use gets at.

Don’t get me wrong, I am certainly flattered whenever someone says they want a photo of mine for their desktop. And I do understand it’s something a lot of people do. But the simple fact that “everyone else does it” doesn’t make it Right (or legal). The legal disclaimer has been on every Farktography thread since at least the time I was a Farktography newb (and yes, I know 99% of people don’t read the Boobies).

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m of the opinion that if I minded people’s use of my images as desktops, I’d not link to larger versions. But that’s just me. I haven’t sold anything yet. 😉

Question on the OBO thing–how and when does the stats manager fix that? Or do they?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

OBO’s are entered manually. I just entered them for this thread, so in the next day or so, the FSM should transfer the stats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

(Also, check your stars theme for a question someone had)

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks everybody. It was a good theme. Now that I see what got votes, I would probably choose differently for my 2nd and 3rd pics.

FWIW – I agree with Elsinore and rav about the desktop wallpaper topic. Els has it technically spot-on. It’s not legal or OK (even if it is flattering) to use without permission. However, I personally don’t care if somebody uses my pics for something non-profit. This isn’t my livelihood and I consider such use a compliment.

Now I’ll go over to ‘stars’ to check out this question.

olavf
    Participant

Apparently I was smoking crack yesterday.

Congrats U-Man!

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘03-02-11 – I’m Beginning to See a Pattern Here…’ is closed to new replies.