03-04-09 – Lights, Camera, Action…Freeze!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-04-09 – Lights, Camera, Action…Freeze!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pictures where the subject is airborne or otherwise not at rest. Difficulty: no blurry subjects (panning with moving subject is ok, though).

Theme suggest credit and kudos to corsec67 and U-Man.

corsec67
    Participant

Hmm, do I go back to the pawn store and get a new camera for this?

(Camera frozen above some concrete, or maybe on the rebound.)

lokisbong
    Participant

So this fits the rules?

Or is it to blurry?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

looks good to me

lokisbong
    Participant

Cool. I just wish I would have had the exposure a touch longer. It was a little brighter than the picture shows.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Does the subject have to be airborne? Or would a speeding car or say umm… a pug chasing a ball work?

corsec67
    Participant

Does the subject have to be airborne? Or would a speeding car or say umm… a pug chasing a ball work?

My description for this theme said so. It was basically pictures where the subject is obviously not going to be in the same spot a second later.

I think that is covered by “… or otherwise not at rest.” in the final theme description, so yeah.

caradoc
    Participant

Can I get a judgement call on “blurry?”

What about something like this?

corsec67
    Participant

Can I get a judgement call on “blurry?”

Blurry Chess piece

What about something like this?

Bouncing head with strobe flash

I would say no.

You don’t have “frozen” subjects. In the first one it is blurry, in the second you have the subject obviously moving in the picture.

If the flash had only gone off once with a shorter shutter that would have been fine. (It would just be a floating chess piece, though)

jpatten
    Participant

This I think Qualifies

corsec67
    Participant

This I think Qualifies
    ..Water splash..

Yes, exactly.

You have a tiny bit of blurring around the top droplet, but to me it would definitely qualify.

(U-Man also has credit for this theme, so I would like to know what he thinks)

/Might do a jumping deer over a fence for this theme.

jpatten
    Participant

Well that blurring may in fact be focal blur, I have a ridiculously thin DOF with the lens setup I am using.
    I love doing water drop shots and Still don’t have it Quite right.
    Some later ones I have used flash and cut the aperture down to f/18.
    Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
    Aperture: f/3.2
    Focal Length: 50 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Flash: Off

jpatten
    Participant

Welll I have the Onboard flash. Or a Sigma EF-530 DG-ST Hotshoe. With the sigma or on-board the fastest sync it will do is 1/200. But with on-board my burst mode goes way slower. Though if I can time it right, even slower recycle might give better results on the onboard for sharpness. Switch out to the Kit-lens, cut it down to f/29 and push theISO up. I want to keep flash power low to I can run through a burst mode of more than one or two shots.

caradoc
    Participant

@jpatten – the other advantage you’ll find is that most battery-powered flashes have shorter flash durations at lower power levels, which makes it a lot easier to “freeze” motion.

Most dSLRs can’t actually “freeze” motion with high shutter speeds. You end up with shear as the slit transits the sensor. FP Sync (Nikon) or “High Speed Sync/HSS” (Canon) just exacerbate the problem as demonstrated here

jpatten
    Participant

well I have seen that. I will work on minimizing ambient light and going with flash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘03-04-09 – Lights, Camera, Action…Freeze!’ is closed to new replies.