03-09-11 – Stars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Real stars, fake stars, flags or people. Show us some stars. Note: Stacked exposures as used in astrophotography (not HDR) are allowed for this theme.

Theme suggestion kudos to U-Man–thanks!

clouddancer
    Participant

Do star-shaped things count as fake stars? Seems like a silly question, but there it is.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Don’t see why not. U-Man can clarify if need be.

linguine
    Participant

It does say fake stars count.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

A comment in another thread made me start thinking about this one, and I’ve got a question: Is exposure stacking/false color image manipulation allowed for this contest? I’m assuming not, but I want to make sure just in case.

olavf
    Participant

It wasn’t explicitly laid out in the description, so I’d assume not.

I’ll be firing missiles at right-angles to reality for this one though, ’cause otherwise I got nothin’.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

A comment in another thread made me start thinking about this one, and I’ve got a question: Is exposure stacking/false color image manipulation allowed for this contest? I’m assuming not, but I want to make sure just in case.

As it stands now, the theme description doesn’t allow for it, but if U-Man wants to allow it, we can adjust the theme description.

mopsy
    Participant

U-Man has been skiing in Tahoe and is now is sitting out a cancelled flight from O’Hare. So being brought back to reality, any relaxation he has just experienced on the ski slopes is now in the negative. 🙁

olavf
    Participant

So he was an hour away and didn’t call…didn’t write…didn’t send us flowers…I don’t think he loves us any more =/

/hope he makes it home safe, and soon

ennuipoet
    Participant

For stress relief, I strongly recommend buying some star shaped confetti and spend some time photographing it being flushed down the toilet. I just worked off three weeks of stress and reverted to a childhood habit of flushing things down the toilet. I’ve not had more fun with my clothes on in a long time.

olavf
    Participant

Water go down the hoooooole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPgEjETeVw

U-Man
    Participant

Clouddancer – yes, star-shaped things are just fine.

Others – Is there a general opinion about exposure stacking for this one? I have some long single-exposure star-trails I might use but I know others might use a stacking technique for the same sort of photo. My initial opinion is that stacking would be OK for this theme. I don’t exactly know what plamadude means by false color manipulation. If that is spot treatment to part of a photo it may not fit here.

Also, is it too late for changes? I personally don’t think so but would understand if late change bothers others.

I’ll be around my computer for the foreseeable future so hopefully I’ll be able to respond promptly.

Oh yeah, Mopsy, my irritation toward the airline has gradually worn off and the enjoyment of skiing is still there. We just had a sleep-over party for my 13-year-old teenager and I’m still OK. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m open to allowing stacking, but I don’t have a strong opinion. I think it would be ok to loosen a theme at this point, but it would be too late to restrict it more heavily if that makes sense.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Water go down the hoooooole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPgEjETeVw

Thank you for that, I’d forgotten that cartoon! And thank you for a title! 🙂

chupathingie
    Participant

Stacking… if we’re talking real stars (astrophotography), stacking is a necessity in the digital world. While it’s possible to expose for quite a long time on film if conditions allow, anything over 5 minutes on most digital cameras results in some seriously ugly thermal noise.

I need to come by more often, or stop working so much that I don’t have time to participate… or both.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • The topic ‘03-09-11 – Stars’ is closed to new replies.