03-09-11 – Stars

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

*//haven’t done so well at recruiting, overall. I envy you guys who have kids/spouses/siblings etc. from whom you can withhold allowance/sex/childhood embarrassments from public knowledge (respectively, mind you).

Actually it’s not a given that I vote for orionid and our parents don’t always vote for us either. Granted there’s probably been only 2 pictures he submitted that I haven’t voted for but I still try to maintain impartiality and ask my friends/family to vote for all pictures they think are worthy even if it doesn’t include mine.

Same here. I ‘share’ the link on Facebook once per contest to increase awareness & hopefully participation, but I don’t think it has any significant impact on my relative standings.

I usually vote for Kat’s pictures, but we also have discussions on submissions and the like, so it’s generally a given that I’m going to like what she posts because I’ve already tendered an opinion. Not always though.

/I try not to look at usernames when I vote either, so that I’m not picking favorites, or doing some sort of sub-conscious ‘I’ve already voted for one of theirs’, or some sort of vote-wrangling due to comparative standings in one of the FSM stats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore, that’s a lovely shot of Orion’s Nebula; may I ask the details of what was used and the settings?

Aw thanks much. It’s not much, but I was overall pleased with how it turned out for what it is. It was just shot with a fairly craptastic 75-300mm lens (at 300mm) at ISO 3200 on a Canon 30D, so it was full of noise and hot pixels. Scaling for web took care of some of the noise, but I corrected a lot of hot pixels by hand. I stacked it with a duplicate layer in b/w to bring out some more detail in the nebula, but I don’t know much about stacking stuff like that (and I don’t have any true astrophotography stacking programs), so it’s a pretty amateur attempt at it. I didn’t do a lot with the color, so that’s close to what the camera captured there. I probably cropped some, but I don’t remember, and I’m not at that computer to look back at it. EXIV data is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/4355582298/meta/

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ve honestly no idea. It’s right at the entrance to “Beyond the Solar System” in the museum though if you are ever there. I think it’s more a generic display.

Fairly certain it is Gemini (well, one of the Gemini-as the name suggests, there are two). When you’re an observational astronomer, you get to know the big scopes pretty well. LBT. MMT. Gemini North/South. Magellan. Subaru. GTC. Keck. SALT/HET (which are pretty much the same, but look different from the outside). And, of course, my favorite, the aptly named Very Large Telescope (VLT). What you got there sure looks like one of the Gemini domes. I’ll bring back a picture to compare next week.

justkat
    Participant

And, of course, my favorite, the aptly named Very Large Telescope (VLT).

I laughed and then I coughed a lung up. 😯 😀

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Oh, you thought the VLT was funny? There’s a few proposals out there for really big telescopes going by the names of ELT (Extremely Large Telescope), and the OWL (OverWhelmingly Large telescope). Sounds like a joke, I know, but they’re serious. I wonder if we could call a telescope FARK. Farking Awesome Reflector, better than Keck.

nobigdeal
    Participant
    ravnostic wrote:
    I’m No Big Deal–your 8:13:55 image gave me a neat idea to try–thanks!

Thanks! I actually took those shots in May and they sat around until I think August before I took the time to stack them.

justkat
    Participant

Oh, you thought the VLT was funny? There’s a few proposals out there for really big telescopes going by the names of ELT (Extremely Large Telescope), and the OWL (OverWhelmingly Large telescope). Sounds like a joke, I know, but they’re serious. I wonder if we could call a telescope FARK. Farking Awesome Reflector, better than Keck.

I believe it. Nerds be nerdy. I love it! 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I believe it. Nerds be nerdy. I love it! 🙂

And then there’s radio telescopes with names like:
    One-Mile Array
    Very Large Array
    Very Small Array
    Very Long Baseline Array
    Very Long Baseline Interferometer
    32-Meter
    MERLIN (Multi-Element Radio Linked Interferometer Network)
    CARMA (Combined Array for Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy)
    Large Millimeter Telescope

The chinese are building a continuous aperture (singe-dish) that’s going to be 3000-meters across, called FAST (The current largest is the 305-meter Arecibo dish in Puerto Rico).

orionid
    Participant

I wonder if we could call a telescope FARK. Farking Awesome Reflector, better than Keck.

I support this, especially if we put it on Mauna Kea, either on the upper row or the summit proper, to make sure it’s slightly higher than Keck.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I wonder if we could call a telescope FARK. Farking Awesome Reflector, better than Keck.

I support this, especially if we put it on Mauna Kea, either on the upper row or the summit proper, to make sure it’s slightly higher than Keck.

The problem with that is that the TMT (thirty-meter-telescope) is already supposed to be going there. Mauna Kea is getting crowded! I guess there still must be some space, though.

orionid
    Participant

Well, then let’s just buy the naming rights to the TMT.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I know voting is still open, but it looks like this might be my first win. I’m kinda relieved-it looked for a while like I was going to be cursed to only get 3rd place at best. I did have a slight advantage in materials and access, however :).

ravnostic
    Participant

I know voting is still open, but it looks like this might be my first win. I’m kinda relieved-it looked for a while like I was going to be cursed to only get 3rd place at best. I did have a slight advantage in materials and access, however :).

I was wondering about this the whole contest. It’s a farktastic picture! Me, I’m still hoping for 3rd (I don’t have a bronze win yet), but it’s not looking like I’ll get it. Not that I’m complaining–2 in the top 10 makes me plenty happy. My 2nd highest vote week evar.

ravnostic
    Participant

Congrats Plama! The first win is always the sweetest. I’m thrilled to have tied U-Man in 3rd, one for the company, the other for filling in the ‘last’ top 10 spot I had yet to get.

//The moment, however, would be a little sweeter if we knew Corsec was okay in Japan, though. 🙁

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to plamadude30k this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • The topic ‘03-09-11 – Stars’ is closed to new replies.