Skip to toolbar

04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us your pictures with shutter times of a second or longer.

Thanks to corsec67 for this theme suggestion!

jpatten
    Participant

OoooooOO i like this one

corsec67
    Participant

I will break out my 10-stop ND filter to get some pictures for this theme.

I bet this theme will be a bunch of “Night turns into day” type pictures.

And soosh can give us more “Alaska at Night with the Aurora Borealis”.

Killerclaw
    Participant

AHHHH right when my tripod breaks!

corsec67
    Participant

AHHHH right when my tripod breaks!

Well, if you want a really cheap one, my favorite ultra-mini tripod is the Vanguard VS-10
    (Some of the stores sell it so cheap that I bought 3, for under $20 with shipping)

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant
    Killerclaw
    Participant

Tripod and free mono for 20 bucks…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830997067

Thanks, but the reviews say it falls apart =(

sleeping
    Participant

Sturdy, Light, Cheap – Pick 2…

jekxrb
    Participant

Tripods aren’t really the place to cheap out. Although someone in one of the other threads linked to a cheap stabilizer http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1041948/1_image_stabilizer_for_any_camera_lose_the_tripod/
    I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know if it works, but it would be very inexpensive. Might be worth a try…

Teffy
    Participant

This one is frustrating.. I want to try to attempt a few day time shots, but when I set my camera for 1 sec, it won’t let me change any other settings (f-stop, iso speed..). I end up with a big white photo. I’ve got a Kodak C360 Zoom. Other than night shots, is there any way to work around that?

corsec67
    Participant

This one is frustrating.. I want to try to attempt a few day time shots, but when I set my camera for 1 sec, it won’t let me change any other settings (f-stop, iso speed..). I end up with a big white photo. I’ve got a Kodak C360 Zoom. Other than night shots, is there any way to work around that?

A neutral density filter is another way, if you can’t stop the lens down.
    (Think a fancy sunglasses like filter for the lens) Or just use a pair of sunglasses, if you want.

At night is going to be the easiest way to force a P&S camera to go to 1 second or longer, and you can still be quite creative there. Those “night” modes on some camera really are for at night.

corsec67
    Participant

Using a ND filter to get a long shutter in the daylight is often used for water in a river/waterfall, to make the water spray smooth, like this:

flickr page

(This is f/8, 30 seconds with a 10-stop ND filter)

lokisbong
    Participant

I just tonight figured out how to do really long exposures up to 15 seconds and i have a cheap mini tripod .I have a feeling I’m gonna end up taking a couple hundred pics to get the right shots for this one.Gonna have to try the sunglasses trick since I have a point and shoot camera.At least it is a Canon a560:)

Teffy
    Participant

I’ll have to try the sunglasses then. Thanks for the tip!

corsec67
    Participant

I’ll have to try the sunglasses then. Thanks for the tip!

Note that I haven’t actually tried this, so if it works for you, please let me/us know.

I have ND filters, and all of my sunglasses are prescription, so I haven’t even tried it. (And my sunglasses are polarized, so they aren’t equal to a ND filter anyways)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.