04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

Tripods aren’t really the place to cheap out.

Thom Hogan agrees with you. And I agree with him.

That’s the ideal solution, certainly. However, if you haven’t spent several hundreds of dollars on a tripod there are still some things you can do to get better images:

1. Most importantly, use a remote release or, if you don’t have one, a self-timer. A really sturdy setup can handle the vibration of pressing the shutter release, but a flimsy one won’t. Set it up, and keep well away from touching any part of the tripod during the exposure

2. Keep everything as low as you can. Particularly you want to avoid extending the center column if this can possibly be avoided as it makes the assembly much less stable.

3. This is not so much of a concern with non-SLR cameras, but the mirror slap from an SLR can cause blurriness, which is especially bad in the vicinity of 1/30 – 1/2 sec. If you can, use a longer or shorter shutter speed.

[edit: I forgot 4]

4. Shoot several exposures. A stray gust of wind or something might mess up one or two, but it probably won’t effect all of them if you shoot 4 or 5

lokisbong
    Participant

I gotta remember #s 1 2 and 4.I already noticed the extended center tube thing.I plan on upgrading to a DSLR as soon as possible.need to budget for that one I think.I have already been practicing #4.I took about 50 pictures for the From A Distance contest.

XenPix
    Participant

I get heavy finger syndrome, so I’ve always used a self timer, but it’s a right thingy when you’re trying to photograph the eclipse on a cloudy night. I really must invest in a remote.

I’m also rather short, so I keep everything low anyhow!

I have some super ideas for this, which will all fail miserably, but I’m looking forward to trying them out. Had to miss From A Distance because my parents had come over for the evening, and I figured they wouldn’t appreciate me waking them at midnight to post or me spending the evening sorting out which photos I was going to use. Very inconsiderate of them all round really. 😉

jpatten
    Participant

I missed the distance one due to the power cord burning itself out on my laptop. I have quite a few long exposure pictures (well up to 30sec)
    I’m assuming that “stacking” will not be allowed, which until I get a remote is the only way I will get more than 30sec of exposure

U-Man
    Participant

I have some pics with shutter speeds longer than 1 sec. However, they were done in a completely dark room and I used a hand held flash, fired manually. So the actual exposure time is only a tiny fraction of a second. Do you guys/gals think that would be OK? Or does it stray too much from the point of the theme?

I’d be cool with a decision either way.

Side note – Is something messed up with the “Recent Contests” at the home page? The results pics don’t load for the contests after “Pictures at an Exhibition”.

corsec67
    Participant

I have some pics with shutter speeds longer than 1 sec. However, they were done in a completely dark room and I used a hand held flash, fired manually. So the actual exposure time is only a tiny fraction of a second. Do you guys/gals think that would be OK? Or does it stray too much from the point of the theme?

The theme in the first post specifically has “shutter speed”, not the exposure time, which indeed would be different in the case you have there.

In the interest of having the theme be is as what is written, I think that should be allowed.

I did suggest this theme, but I am more inclined to go with what is written in the first post than any sort of secret “idea” that is in my head.

andyofne
    Participant

I missed the distance one due to the power cord burning itself out on my laptop. I have quite a few long exposure pictures (well up to 30sec)
    I’m assuming that “stacking” will not be allowed, which until I get a remote is the only way I will get more than 30sec of exposure

Good thing you only need 1 second, eh? 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Side note – Is something messed up with the “Recent Contests” at the home page? The results pics don’t load for the contests after “Pictures at an Exhibition”.

Hmm looks like something’s jacked with the code that automatically scrapes the results page. Sorry about that. We’ll have to look into it and figure out what’s up.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant
    sleeping wrote:

Tripods aren’t really the place to cheap out.

Thom Hogan agrees with you. And I agree with him.

1. Most importantly, use a remote release or, if you don’t have one, a self-timer. A really sturdy setup can handle the vibration of pressing the shutter release, but a flimsy one won’t. Set it up, and keep well away from touching any part of the tripod during the exposure
    /quote

OY!!! I didn’t think of that… thanks for the idea.. I have a 2 second timer, and I was all bummed out becuase I had no way to remotely expose the picture… I can’t wait to try this. 😀

lokisbong
    Participant

the timer was one of the very first things I figured out could be useful.way back during the self portraits contest.back then my tripod was more like a fairly level spot on a log.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I did end up with a cheap tripod, but not because I necessarily cheaped out. This baby folds small enough to fit in my overcoat’s pocket, and that’s what I want for hiking. Ok, so I cheaped out a little.

jpatten
    Participant

Its easy to say don’t cheap out, but you can only buy inside your budget

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

sorry about jumping the gun in the contest Elsinore!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol you and about 10 other people 😆

It’s all fixx0rd, though. My apologies to swampa for the fireworks shot. I submitted it before I saw yours, and yours was so ridiculously better than mine I deleted my own. Great start to the thread (other than the jumpstarts 😉 ) tonight, folks.

swampa
    Participant

My apologies to swampa for the fireworks shot.

Pah, thats just silly talk! I don’t see a problem with several people submitting the same idea (look at all the night cityscapes :)). Plus you submitted yours at basically the same time – let the voters decide!

/Two pictures enter, one picture leaves?
    //It is no fun when you admit to these things as I was about to rib you about removing it 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please’ is closed to new replies.