04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I will do just that as soon as i get around to remembering to try it

lokisbong
    Participant

This is just a 15 second exposure of Orion

😀

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Tripod and free mono for 20 bucks…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830997067

Thanks, but the reviews say it falls apart =(

it may, or may-not… I bought the next step up.. it was a Dolica and it came with a free mono-pod.. it was like 25 bucks. It was a great buy, and plenty sturdy. Sure, it’s a cheapy.. and you can tell, but if you’re just looking for something that you use for a bit, it’s great.

Also, I would recommend it to noobies who are trying to decide if they like photography or not and don’t want to spring for a 100 dollar tripod right off the bat.

XenPix
    Participant

I used to use my sunglasses as a filter when I had my Powershot A70. Provided they have a big enough lens to fit over the camera lens, and you don’t move it when you try to take the picture so you end up with the frame in shot (I managed that a couple of times!) it works pretty well. My oakleys used to give a bit of an orange tint to everything though, so you may need to fiddle with the colour a little after the fact, depending on your sunglass brand of choice. 😉

Teffy
    Participant

I used my sunglasses, it actually worked! I wouldn’t recommend full direct sunlight with my little point and shoot, but it did wonders to make things in indirect sunlight come out.

millera9
    Participant

I believe bobroberts actually won one of these contests with a shot taken through his polarized lenses. Anybody else remember that?

Edit: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2403810&tt=voteresults&ok=472374909

It’s his second-place entry.

lokisbong
    Participant

I already found the limitations of a mini tripod so I went to a second hand store here and found a really solid J.C.Penny full sized tripod for 12 dollars and some change.it sure is a huge improvement over the mini.

same shot as above with the new tripod.I could use any advice you all have.

corsec67
    Participant

I already found the limitations of a mini tripod so I went to a second hand store here and found a really solid J.C.Penny full sized tripod for 12 dollars and some change.it sure is a huge improvement over the mini.

same shot as above with the new tripod.I could use any advice you all have.

Try taking a picture of something that is artifically illuminated at night, like this, or look at soosh’s fsm profile for ideas.

Stars are pretty hard on their own, you should try to include some scenery.

Looks like that tripod is working for you. Your exposure of f/2.6, 15 seconds, ISO 80 is enough for most night shots, but not quite enough to get any cool star trail effects. Try to use the full moon to give you more light, which can lead to some cool effects.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I gotta upgrade camera if I want more than 15 seconds.Thats the max on my Cannon Power Shot A560.its a huge improvement over my last camera but I think thats what my economic stimulus check is gonna go towards.something in a dslr me thinks?

one of the ones I was gonna enter is this contest.Advice?

corsec67
    Participant

Yeah I gotta upgrade camera if I want more than 15 seconds.Thats the max on my Cannon Power Shot A560.its a huge improvement over my last camera but I think thats what my economic stimulus check is gonna go towards.something in a dslr me thinks?

Yeah, a DSLR or higher-end camera is pretty much needed for long exposures.

But, there is a lot you can do with a 15 second exposure. Traffic at night, building with lights, or anything like that.

Like, this was 1.6 seconds, f/6.3, ISO 160:
    flickr page

lokisbong
    Participant

That is very cool.but i dont know any fire jugglers and i like my hair.I was thinking signing my name in laser .the one above is the lights from Pelican Bay Prison on clouds from my mom and dads place about a mile or so away.

corsec67
    Participant

That is very cool.but i dont know any fire jugglers and i like my hair.I was thinking signing my name in laser .the one above is the lights from Pelican Bay Prison on clouds from my mom and dads place about a mile or so away.

What about taking a picture from a location where you could see the prison itself, so that it would be glowing into the fog/clouds it looks like you have there? Having the prison in the picture would mean that it would be much brighter than just using the reflected light.

Definitely would be a completely different scene than the one you captured, though.

lokisbong
    Participant

Its surrounded by trees unless I drive up a steep gravel road about ten miles away up the side of a mountain.But it is food for thought.Might be a better shot for the From A Distance contest.

thanks for the advice.I think I could use as much as possible.

corsec67
    Participant

Its surrounded by trees unless I drive up a steep gravel road about ten miles away up the side of a mountain.But it is food for thought.Might be a better shot for the From A Distance contest.

thanks for the advice.I think I could use as much as possible.

Another idea would be to try to take a picture before it gets completely dark, like this:
    flickr page

caradoc
    Participant

Tripods aren’t really the place to cheap out.

Thom Hogan agrees with you. And I agree with him.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘04-02-08 – A Second of Your Time, Please’ is closed to new replies.