04-09-08 – Feel the Heat

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-09-08 – Feel the Heat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hazes, flames, furnaces and things that get, or are, anything from hot to downright scorching. Difficulty: No people

Thanks to Uranus for the theme suggestion!

Morningbreath
    Participant

how about things that were hot?

corsec67
    Participant

how about things that were hot?

I would think that would be covered by “things that get hot”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Maybe Uranus can clarify that one.

Uranus
    Participant

Were hot how, exactly? The idea was to capture the heat , but a cooled down furnace or kiln would probably still fit in the mind of the the voting public. Creative interpretation is ok in my book!

Morningbreath
    Participant

there was a house that burned down near me, the charred ruins would make for a good photo. I have a charcoal kiln photo too. If I am off base on these, I won’t use them.

Uranus
    Participant

hmm…it sounds a great shot, but to my mind the house would not naturally represent heat, or getting hot, and I suspect that there will at some point be a contest that would suit better (ashes to ashes? the remains of the day?). The kiln on the other hand sounds right up there, particularly if fired up!

jaytrek
    Participant

Seems like it has an obvious answer, but I have a question about the no people difficulty. I figure it means no people in the image at all. Is a viewer of the flame(s) violating the no people difficulty?

Uranus
    Participant

Seems like it has an obvious answer, but I have a question about the no people difficulty. I figure it means no people in the image at all. Is a viewer of the flame(s) violating the no people difficulty?

nope….we just don’t want hot girl/guy pics. some people are integral to some shots : firemen at a forest fire, a guy shoveling coal into a locomotive’s boiler, a welder holding a torch, etc.

ultimately we’ll only know on the day if the person overshadows the heat, or if the person in the shot is representative enough of heat (think bedouin on camel in mirage, for example), and i think I’ll leave it up to the farktographers here if the pic needs to be pulled or not.

damn, am I in a good mood this morning! 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, maybe we should re-word the difficulty? Remember that not everyone who participates (probably most, actually) don’t read this site or these discussions. So we need to be as clear as possible with theme descriptions and difficulties so people who only see that on Fark know exactly what’s expected for the theme.

Maybe say something about people being allowed, but they cannot be the only subject? Honestly, I kinda liked the blanked “no people” version myself, but if you want to revise, that’s fine. We just need to do it quickly.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I suppose we’re going to have Soosh out setting more building fires to take pictures of… 😀 jk

Uranus
    Participant

Maybe say something about people being allowed, but they cannot be the only subject? Honestly, I kinda liked the blanked “no people” version myself, but if you want to revise, that’s fine. We just need to do it quickly.

we’re going to get some “hot” cars, or a chili dog, no matter how precise we are :P.

I guess “no people” is a standard anyway, as we have enough people-focused themes available….I bow to the judgement of the mods on the day.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, as the wording stands now, “no people” to me says no people in the picture at all. And yeah, it’s really hard to word things in a way to prevent any and all stretching of the theme (not to mention some themes lend themselves to thinking outside the box anyway).

But seriously, it’s your theme suggestion, so I bow to your judgement now if you want to change anything 😉

caradoc
    Participant

I’m considering going for the innuendo, and posting a picture of a strip club that burned to the ground.

FutherMucker
    Participant

How about….Difficulty: Sexiness doesn’t = Hotness

The only shot that I have ready for this theme does include a person, but he is NOT the source of heat…..Also, I was thinking that it would be pretty clever to see an image somewhere in the mix of a person with a really wicked sunburn…Or, what if someone was a fire walker, flame blower, flame swallower, or has a fire suit ?….I think no people at all might exclude some really cool shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘04-09-08 – Feel the Heat’ is closed to new replies.