04-11-12 – Watercraft

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-11-12 – Watercraft

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

It’s too bad they don’t allow pictures inside the U-boat, they would have been spectacular.

I’m assuming the museum sells photos of the interior…why wouldnt they let people take photos inside a captured German submarine from WW2?

I wonder about that myself. At Pearl Harbor there’s a submarine you can go in, and nobody stopped me from taking a whole bunch of photos. Same is true for the sub moored at Buffalo’s harbor. Both are WWII vintage. I can understand if there’s a tour of a modern nuclear sub, but…

because the U-505 exhibit charges extra to go inside.

My guess is that they think people may not pay to go in if you’ve seen the pics. Frankly, pics wouldn’t be able to cover the claustrophobic feeling of it. (I paid, but I’m a tourist and we got into the museum for free anyways…)

CISS I almost used the exact shot you used for the U-Boat, except mine has different lighting.

olavf
    Participant

It’s funny how some places are like that. The _USS Hornet_ crew not only let 30 of us wander around (we paid for docents to lead us for a while so we could get deeper in the belly) but allowed us to drag our cameras, bags, and tripods with us – even into the boiler room. The only downside was time, and the 15 person groups of photographers all trying to photograph in cramped quarters made it difficult to see the shots, let alone take them 😛

orionid
    Participant

Frankly, pics wouldn’t be able to cover the claustrophobic feeling of it.

You don’t know the half of it.

/And strangely, I miss it.

orionid
    Participant
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Frankly, pics wouldn’t be able to cover the claustrophobic feeling of it.

You don’t know the half of it.

/And strangely, I miss it.

That’s right you have first hand experience.

I felt claustrophobic in it and it was on dry land with clearly marked emergency exits.

Kestrana
    Participant

I actually have the answer to that. There are 3 reasons why you can’t photograph the interior of the submarine:
    1. Its very expensive to maintain this artifact. Most if not all other steel/modern ship museums are maintained on the governments dime. The interior is fragile and the extra charge goes directly towards upkeep.
    2. Being fragile, one of the factors that is controlled is lighting. Cloth in particular is very light sensitive and most of the interior is cloth. Flash photography does contribute to light degradation.
    3. Despite being captured this is still a piece of German property. That is covered in swastikas. Which are illegal in Germany. Even when the ship wasn’t pay to enter, photos were verboten. That whole cultural respect thing.

/worked next door
    //it belongs in a museum!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage on the “Best” category win and to fluffybunny on the “Funniest” category win this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to Ranger Joe/cameraflage on the individual win and to orionid on the combined win. Also thoroughly enjoyed fluffy’s Aggie joke. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

Nah, personally, I’ve just had a lot on my plate – website redesign and a whole bunch of various projects, and something had to slip. kat has been getting two books ready to publish (one went out the other week, the other later this month hopefully) so she’s been pretty tied up too.

I can emphasize with that. And congrats, kat!

Frankly, pics wouldn’t be able to cover the claustrophobic feeling of it. … CISS I almost used the exact shot you used for the U-Boat, except mine has different lighting.

And I remember Kes having one very similar, too. Now that would’ve been funny. And I know what you mean about the claustrophobic feeling. I actually actually rented Das Boot (which I never got around to seeing when it first came out) after getting back from that trip. If you haven’t seen it, watching it while knowing just how tight those quarters are is quite the experience.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As an aside, Ranger Joe/Cameraflage’s winning entry was highlighted on the fark.com FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/farkdotcom

I did make a comment that it was Ranger Joe’s, because I noticed they didn’t put that in the description. I kinda wanted to tag Ranger Joe/Cameraflage’s actual FB account, but didn’t want to reveal his actual name if that wasn’t desired. So feel free to tag yourself if you’d like!

cameraflage
    Participant

As an aside, Ranger Joe/Cameraflage’s winning entry was highlighted on the fark.com FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/farkdotcom

I did make a comment that it was Ranger Joe’s, because I noticed they didn’t put that in the description. I kinda wanted to tag Ranger Joe/Cameraflage’s actual FB account, but didn’t want to reveal his actual name if that wasn’t desired. So feel free to tag yourself if you’d like!

Thanks! And no problem with the FB post…the government already knows where I am, as do the aliens. I only hope that I can finish my experiments before either of them can stop me.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Congrats to Ranger Joe/cameraflage on the individual win and to orionid on the combined win. Also thoroughly enjoyed fluffy’s Aggie joke.

I actually actually rented Das Boot (which I never got around to seeing when it first came out) after getting back from that trip. If you haven’t seen it, watching it while knowing just how tight those quarters are is quite the experience.

Thanks CISS, that’s nearly my favorite aggie joke, and plenty of my friends are aggies.

IMHO Das Boot is one of the greatest submarine movies ever made, but I like orionid, am biased.

orionid
    Participant

Congrats to Ranger Joe/cameraflage on the individual win and to orionid on the combined win. Also thoroughly enjoyed fluffy’s Aggie joke.

I actually actually rented Das Boot (which I never got around to seeing when it first came out) after getting back from that trip. If you haven’t seen it, watching it while knowing just how tight those quarters are is quite the experience.

Thanks CISS, that’s nearly my favorite aggie joke, and plenty of my friends are aggies.

IMHO Das Boot is one of the greatest submarine movies ever made, but I like orionid, am biased.

Two great traditions we started: 1) watching Wolfgang Peterson’s full 9-hour Das Boot any time we were even remotely close to the straights of Gibraltar, and 2) A bunch of nukes telling new coners they could sit on crews mess and “study” with us while we watched K-19 on their first underway.

/We didn’t even get that far with one cook. He broke before the lines were in the water.
    //All it took was a simple, lighthearted song.
    ///♫We’re all gonna die this week, doo-dah, doo-dah, when the hull she springs a leak, doo-dah, doo-dah, Trim and Drain outboard or the evaporator, when the flooding comes it’ll be right quick, better now than later♫
    ////being sung by 42 people who actually knew what was holding the water out of the people space.
    /////not much
    //////slashies
    ///////like a bad horror flick

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The topic ‘04-11-12 – Watercraft’ is closed to new replies.