05-12-10 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 5

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-12-10 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s Farktography’s 5th Anniversary! In honor of 5 years of Farktography, post your highest vote getters or your favorite photos you’ve taken since May 12, 2005–anytime during Farktography’s history. Prior contest entries (including those submitted to prior Anniversary threads) allowed though not required. HDR, stacked, stitched & text-added photos eligible only if used in a contest since 5/12/05.

Thanks to linguine for suggesting we allow photos from anytime in the past 5 years for this year’s anniversary contest!

clouddancer
    Participant

The pictures we choose. Do they have to have been entered into a contest? And if we don’t have ones from that category that we want to enter, the other classifying entity is favorite photos, thereby making this a semi free-for-all?

Thanks (in advance) for clarification.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a semi-free-for-all. The only stipulation is that if you use photos that go beyond the usual Farktography rules (stitching, text-added, HDR, Holga fake, tilt-shift fake) those photos must have been entered into a specific contest. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

clouddancer
    Participant

Sweet. Thanks. 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

Well now that I have some photo tips from the group, I’ll be doing some editing this weekend, I think. Good thing I’ve saved most of the 15K pictures I’ve taken in the past couple of years!! Most of which have never seen the light of fark. It’ll be hard to decide what to submit (assuming I either have or can get decent editing hardware; I’m sure I have my Canon camera software cds, I just never installed them.)

Curious
    Participant

(assuming I either have or can get decent editing hardware; )

both the Gimp and Infanview http://www.irfanview.com/ are free and will do both resizing and “save for web” reducing of file size.

that presupposes you meant software not hardware. if you meant hardware both will run on a pretty limited computer.

ravnostic
    Participant

I have irfanview, used it for years though I didn’t care for it’s editing capabilities (the canon software seems better suited) it’s great for resizing and such. Where is the ‘save for web’ option, though? I looked for that today and couldn’t find it. As for hardware, I just upgraded to 4gigs ram in my lappytop–mmmm rammy goodness…

justkat
    Participant

This is going to be a sucktastic week for me, I can feel it now.

justkat
    Participant

Question: Can one use a picture — same frame — but edited differently? I’ve got two (well three) in mind.

1) I used in software hootenany but I like the original. Actually there are two like this; the other I used in color popping and I like the original

2) I used in who-knows-what but I’ve since tweaked the post-processing. I can go back and get the file that I submitted, but obviously I like the re-processing or I wouldn’t have done it.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I think that you’ve had a pretty great year, fwiw.

justkat
    Participant

I just realized that one of the pix I was asking about above that I’d entered before… I entered it in last year’s anniversary contest (not knowing that the tradition was for previous entries)… and it placed 102nd… so I might want to re-think entering it again lmao.

I think that you’ve had a pretty great year, fwiw.

That means a lot to me, coming from you. Well it would coming from anyone, but especially from people who consistently do better than me lol.

I figure I’ve had my good weeks and my bad weeks, but the important thing is that my average votes/entry keeps climbing. Maybe at a snails pace, but at least it’s going in the right direction. I guess I’m feeling negative right now because my recent votes/entry is lower than my all-time, which means that overall, my last 10 weeks has been less than stellar. But anyway, thanks!

ennuipoet
    Participant

I figure I’ve had my good weeks and my bad weeks, but the important thing is that my average votes/entry keeps climbing. Maybe at a snails pace, but at least it’s going in the right direction. I guess I’m feeling negative right now because my recent votes/entry is lower than my all-time, which means that overall, my last 10 weeks has been less than stellar. But anyway, thanks!

I’ve not been Farktography-ing very long, but I’ve been a Fark Photoshopper for a while now. In that time I’ve learned one important thing, the voters of Fark operate on Chaos Theory. There is no logic, no reason and no point in letting it get you down. While I’ve notice a better eye for quality in Farktography, I promise you that I could shoot a can of gold spray paint and a bottle of Heineken into every contest and land at LEAST 20 votes, each time. In a week or two, people would coming in the thread not find them and say “Came for gold spray paint, leaving disappointed”.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could actually do that…

linguine
    Participant

Question: Can one use a picture — same frame — but edited differently? I’ve got two (well three) in mind.

1) I used in software hootenany but I like the original. Actually there are two like this; the other I used in color popping and I like the original

2) I used in who-knows-what but I’ve since tweaked the post-processing. I can go back and get the file that I submitted, but obviously I like the re-processing or I wouldn’t have done it.

When we originally talked about allowing any entry from the past 5 years for this years anniversary contest we talked about allowing re-editing, but Im having trouble finding whatever thread we discussed this in to see if we had made a decision on that.

justkat
    Participant

I’ve not been Farktography-ing very long, but I’ve been a Fark Photoshopper for a while now. In that time I’ve learned one important thing, the voters of Fark operate on Chaos Theory. There is no logic, no reason and no point in letting it get you down. While I’ve notice a better eye for quality in Farktography, I promise you that I could shoot a can of gold spray paint and a bottle of Heineken into every contest and land at LEAST 20 votes, each time. In a week or two, people would coming in the thread not find them and say “Came for gold spray paint, leaving disappointed”.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could actually do that…

I have a little saying I say to myself (and sometimes Olav, and occasionally here at farktography.net….) each week:

Voters… can’t live with ’em, can’t kill ’em or we’d get no votes at all. 😉

edited to add: not to mention that we’re voters too! 😛

justkat
    Participant

Okay, it’s contest day, so I’m going to go with a literal interpretation of “any picture”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘05-12-10 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 5’ is closed to new replies.