05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    millera9
    Participant

I dunno..if it’s transmitted light, whether it’s in color or b/w, it wouldn’t really count given everything else you said, no? I think the bigger gray (ha ha) area is not the color/bw question so much as the “intercepting light’ question. The droplets are certainly intercepting light, but they aren’t really intercepting/blocking much of it. But how much interception/blocking do you need for it to be a shadow?

Yeah, this is a tough one and I don’t think we’re going to define it with much accuracy before tomorrow afternoon. In light of that fact (nyuk nyuk) I say it’s legal and we let the voters speak to determine whether or not it constitutes the overall concept of “shadow”.

/I’m going to regret this post when U-Man has another win and my shots have 3 votes each…

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I didn’t feel well over the weekend and my car was in the shop making shooting for this week’s contest close to impossible until today. So I rushed to a park on the way home this evening to get some shadow pics for tomorrow contest. The sun was very low but bright so the shadows on the hills had potential. And luckily I think I got a couple I like.

But more importantly, in reviewing the shots I noticed a few sequentially taken shots had a certain goofy animation quality as I flipped through them. If you want to see a full body shadow puppet type thing, click on the image below. It’s a crude ani-GIF and is just over 700k. So if you’re on dial-up it’s definitely not worth the download.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

To further belabor the transmitting vs blocking light issue, I just noticed I have at least one shot of a flag shadow where you can see darker and lighter places in the shadow that correspond to the darker and lighter design parts on the flag. It clearly looks like a shadow, but the flag is also clearly not blocking all light, at least in the places where the fabric is light.

I do agree with millera9 that it’s such a fine line that maybe it’s best to leave it up to the voters.

corsec67
    Participant

A shadow doesn’t have to block all of the light, right?

Hmm, there are a bunch of other definitions of Shadow

staplermofo
    Participant

What about using different colored lights to make colored shadows?
    You know, like shining red, blue and green lights on a subject and getting a tricolor shadow.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Per our discussion on silhouettes vs shadows, I did add language to clarify that silhouettes don’t count for this theme. No limiting of the shadow-producing object’s presence in the frame, though.

Aww, c’mon. Can’t we talk about this some more. 🙂 I have plenty of real shadow pics. No need to use the leaf one.

I have a question about this though. Check this pic out – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Shadow_9941.jpg . Is that a shadow to you guys? How about without the actual toy in frame? http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Shadow_9976.jpg

Would either of those be OK? I don’t have to use one, but I kinda want to.

My 2 cents: The first one looks ok. I would say that there is enough shadow there to qualify. The 2nd one too except for the fact that without the toy you really don’t know what you are looking at.

I think we may be getting a bit anal in our interpretation of whats a shadow.

If it walks like a shadow, talks like a shadow, and quacks like a shadow it’s a shadow.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I had a dog named Shadow. Can I use pictures of him?

bucky_bacon
    Participant

re: the U-Man pictures

Aww nuts. I have something similar to that too. Well, light blocked/passing through a colored object, though not done nearly as well. I figured the actual outer shadow of the object is the main subject, and the color cast by the light that passes through is just additional.

So I certainly vote in favor of this sort of shot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

A shadow doesn’t have to block all of the light, right?

Hmm, there are a bunch of other definitions of Shadow

Yeah, I guess not. The second definition, “Shade or comparative darkness” kind of speaks to that.

What about using different colored lights to make colored shadows?
    You know, like shining red, blue and green lights on a subject and getting a tricolor shadow.

Don’t see why that should be a problem.

I had a dog named Shadow. Can I use pictures of him?

Do you have a picture of Shadow’s shadow? 😉

Seriously, though, NBD is probably right. We’re over thinking and over complicating things.

nobigdeal
    Participant

How about a Dodge Shadow

How about a Shadow of my dog Shadow standing next to a Dodge Shadow?

orionid
    Participant

HAHA! I couldn’t find anybody with a Dodge shadow….. Didn’t think about junkyards.

soosh
    Participant

what about a scene that is in the shadow of something else or is composed of mostly shadows?

soosh
    Participant

oh, fine, now you all clam up.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, the wording of the description says the shadows should be the “main subject”, and I’m not sure the shadows seem to be the main subject of either of those photos. However, “main subject” is going to be subjective to define. I have shots I’m considering where the composition was clearly with the shadow in mind, but it’s possible someone may not feel the shadow is “substantial” enough. Might be one to let the voters decide on.

soosh
    Participant

I’m hoping not to have to use those, but if the sky clouds up, the shots I was hoping to take may not work, so I’m looking through the archives.

This would be OK, yes? It’s got filtered light, but it’s also got the framework of the window, and it’s the pattern that’s the focus of the shot.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • The topic ‘05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows’ is closed to new replies.