05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Morningbreath
    Participant

we did this theme before, a couple years ago.

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=2167762

321 entries, it was pretty popular.
    /my suggestion
    //pats self on back
    //typical for my suggestions that get approved though, I bombed.

swampa
    Participant

It was my boobies comp 🙂

Anyways, did we get a ruling on if the original object (or part of it) can be in the photo with the shadow?

U-Man
    Participant

I hope so. It would seriously limit this theme if not.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve managed to not so far, but some of my ideas it’s going to be difficult to not have at least part of the subject in the shot.

orionid
    Participant

One of my ideas requires the “original object” to be in the shot, but the shadow is definately the subject. Fortunately, I have all night tonight to play around with making my failed first attemps better (while shifting from second shift to graveyard, yaya!).

corsec67
    Participant

I hope so. It would seriously limit this theme if not.

Yeah, that difficulty would significantly change this theme.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The current theme description doesn’t prohibit the original object being in the shot, and I think at this point, it’s too late to narrow it any. But of course, the theme description does say the shadow must be the main subject, so the primary interest in the shot should be the shadow itself, even if the shadow-producing object is in the frame.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Per our discussion on silhouettes vs shadows, I did add language to clarify that silhouettes don’t count for this theme. No limiting of the shadow-producing object’s presence in the frame, though.

justkat
    Participant

i get to spend the next 20.5 hours trying to decide which version of one pic i want to use…….. yay. =P

U-Man
    Participant

Per our discussion on silhouettes vs shadows, I did add language to clarify that silhouettes don’t count for this theme. No limiting of the shadow-producing object’s presence in the frame, though.

Aww, c’mon. Can’t we talk about this some more. 🙂 I have plenty of real shadow pics. No need to use the leaf one.

I have a question about this though. Check this pic out – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Shadow_9941.jpg . Is that a shadow to you guys? How about without the actual toy in frame? http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Shadow_9976.jpg

Would either of those be OK? I don’t have to use one, but I kinda want to.

FutherMucker
    Participant

Is this theme going to be mostly shadows of hands against a wall, light by a flash(light)?

Not mine…I’ll be entering my shadow puppet of the state of Florida.

/Without using my hands. 😯
    //Wonders if that would even be legal.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

U-Man:
    😆 honestly, I put that clarification in there more for casual folks who pop into the thread and don’t read up here 😉

As for the shots you posted, I think the first is a shadow (the top of it certainly is), though I could see an argument that the main focus of the image being on what amounts to filtered light, which is different than a shadow. The second doesn’t appear as a shadow because it’s so clear; it looks more like the toy itself, and without the toy as a reference, I wouldn’t necessarily think it was a shadow. Yeah so now that I think of the filtered light thing, maybe that first wouldn’t qualify. Dunno…can someone else offer up an opinion for some consensus?

millera9
    Participant

U-Man those are cool shots, but I am not sure they are really in keeping with the definition of a shadow. Let’s think for a second about what’s going on in that photo. Light from a light source is passing through the clear plastic shell and hitting the liquid inside. Those liquids absorb most of the light frequencies they come in contact with but give off light in a certain frequency (either blue or purple in this case). Because they are thin objects, they are not capable of absorbing or reflecting all of the light that hits them and thus they transmit a certain amount of light at a given frequency through to the opposite side where it is free to hit the wall, creating a projected image.

(More reading here, if you’re interested: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/light/u12l2c.cfm)

So, is it a shadow? The first definition of “shadow” that comes up is, “a dark figure or image cast on the ground or some surface by a body intercepting light.” The body, which in this case is the liquid in that toy, is intercepting most of the light that hits it – specifically, every frequency except purple or blue. On the other hand, the body is transmitting a significant amount of light to the wall behind it. I’m really not sure on this one.

Here’s a question: if you converted it to BW, would it count as a shadow even though it’s actually colored light? I think because of that little caveat it has to be allowed!

/Sorry for the novel.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I dunno..if it’s transmitted light, whether it’s in color or b/w, it wouldn’t really count given everything else you said, no? I think the bigger gray (ha ha) area is not the color/bw question so much as the “intercepting light’ question. The droplets are certainly intercepting light, but they aren’t really intercepting/blocking much of it. But how much interception/blocking do you need for it to be a shadow?

U-Man
    Participant

Being somewhat of a geek myself, I happen to appreciate geeks. 🙂 I smiled through the last half of millera9’s dissertation.

/I came to a similar, though less clearly stated, conclusion.
    //I still don’t know if I’ll use it. I have a funny #3 I did this evening.
    ///I have a work board (bored?) meeting tomorrow at post-time. I’ll just have to see what mood I am in.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • The topic ‘05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows’ is closed to new replies.