05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

sorry I just got home 😆 I was writing while you were 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m hoping not to have to use those, but if the sky clouds up, the shots I was hoping to take may not work, so I’m looking through the archives.

This would be OK, yes? It’s got filtered light, but it’s also got the framework of the window, and it’s the pattern that’s the focus of the shot.

Yeah that should be fine. I’ve got some window shadow shots I took the other day if I get the chance to download them and do something with them.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I think if the shot has a shadow in it and your eyes are drawn to the shadow as a component of the shot its ok.

I’m thinking of using this shot.

The shadow is not the main component but is definitely an important part of the shot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nice shot! And the shadow definitely adds to it.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Well, the wording of the description says the shadows should be the “main subject”, and I’m not sure the shadows seem to be the main subject of either of those photos. However, “main subject” is going to be subjective to define. I have shots I’m considering where the composition was clearly with the shadow in mind, but it’s possible someone may not feel the shadow is “substantial” enough. Might be one to let the voters decide on.

I’m going to let the votoers decide: two of mine are 80% shadow, they were shot with the use of shadows as a main element, but is the shadow clearly the focus of those photo? its hard to say, I say yes, so I can enter them, someone else will probably have a different opinion. they are along the lines of Soosh’s. The third is less than 20% shadow, but the shadow defines everything in the photo.

The last time we had this contest someone sent me an email saying I did not underestand what shadows mean in photography, maybe I am still wrong now. I forgot what he wrote.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

wow, Farktography hate mail? Some people clearly have no life.

Morningbreath
    Participant

wow, Farktography hate mail? Some people clearly have no life.

I was a more proilific and more of a smartass poster on fark years ago. I think the anger spilled over from another thread. Someone had enough of me, and felt I should know what was wrong with everything I did, and was.

thepostess
    Participant

I meant to ask this before..

Would this pic qualify as a shadow? To me, it shows the shadows of clouds on the lower clouds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/3543804171_4a69829019.jpg

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Honestly, I don’t think that’s very clearly shadow, but YMMV.

thepostess
    Participant

Thanks. I’m looking at my other options.

And what jackass sent you hate mail? Geesh.

Curious
    Participant

well i have three compliments of my archives. i think #s one and two met the criteria for the contest. #1 has the shadow as (pulls percentage from ass) 50% of the image area but it’s a cat’s shadow and i cropped it to minimize the cat. in #2 the shadow in in the center of the image but only takes up roughly 25% of the total image area. so Elsinore if they are deemed as not matching and deleted i’m cool with that.

#3 shouldn’t be a problem as the subject is the shadow.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Elsinore The ‘heart’ shot – I was wondering if someone would do it. I’m glad it was you. Very nice!

Miller, the ‘airplane’ shot is one of the coolest farking things I’ve seen on here yet. Bravo!

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m back…mostly because I had a pic already for this contest… I think the shadow in my pic tells the story more than the main subject.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4399455

Curious: I see no issues with any of your shots. Love the kitteh!

bucky_bacon: Thanks 🙂

SilverStag: Glad you’re back tonight!

edited to add (cause I hit enter too quickly): bucky_bacon Love the “shadow” shadow 😉

millera9
    Participant

Miller, the ‘airplane’ shot is one of the coolest farking things I’ve seen on here yet. Bravo!

Hahaha, thanks! I’ve been saving that one for a long time. I took it just after I moved into my apartment with my old Canon point and shoot. I started participating in Farktography shortly thereafter and then realized that I had just missed a “Shadows” contest. Now it all comes full circle!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • The topic ‘05-20-09 – The Shadow Knows’ is closed to new replies.