Skip to toolbar

05-28-08 – A Moment of Reflection

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-28-08 – A Moment of Reflection

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Subject can only appear in the reflection, whether it be in glass, water, mirrors or the cat’s eyeballs. Difficulty: No people.

Theme suggestion thanks to XenPix

kmmontandon
    Participant

Should this be labeled as “Reflections II,” since we’ve already done it before?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We may want to title it slightly differently to prevent confusion with the other Reflections theme, however, it’s not just a repeat since this one requires the subject is only shown in reflection and people aren’t allowed. Any suggestions on revising the name just a bit, XenPix?

corsec67
    Participant

Does the difficulty mean that the subject, even if only seen in a reflection, can’t be a person?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Does the difficulty mean that the subject, even if only seen in a reflection, can’t be a person?

Difficulty: No people

I’d say yes 😉

XenPix
    Participant

No people! No people at all! 😀

How about a new title of “A moment of reflection” to differentiate from the original, or is that still to close to what we had before? I can’t think of any good synonyms for reflect right now. 🙁

lokisbong
    Participant

whoa. this is gonna be a tough one. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

How about a new title of “A moment of reflection” to differentiate from the original, or is that still to close to what we had before? I can’t think of any good synonyms for reflect right now. 🙁

That works. Unless you think of anything different that you’d prefer in the next day or so, I’ll change it.

U-Man
    Participant

Just how strict is the “No people” difficulty going to be called. I have a reflection of a city skyline that is nice. However, there are some tiny people in it. The buildings are clearly the subject. Yet, there are those pesky pedestrians in there. If it is a strict no people = no people I’d be cool with that.

/Probably too late in the game to flex the rules, but I thought that I’d throw it out there.

XenPix
    Participant

No people = no people.

Can you crop them out and still retain the essence of the image?

U-Man
    Participant

No people = no people.

Can you crop them out and still retain the essence of the image?

I can crop out the recognizable people under the Chicago Bean. But there are some tiny folks watching the skating rink bhind me.

As I said before, if this doesn’t work just say the word and I won’t use it. No problem. In order to decrease controversy, maybe you should law down the law and stick to no people = no people.

btw – that photo was taken without a tripod. The camera was on top of a concrete post. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think I’d say at first glance with the way you’ve cropped it, I really have to search for the people to the point that they’re absolutely inconsequential to my eye and the composition. I wouldn’t be inclined to call for disqualification, but I do see the argument that sometimes it’s easier to blanket say “no people”. I guess in this case, when people are so tiny that they aren’t even noticeable, it’s something I might even miss that there are people in there in the first place. It’s a cool shot either way, and not quite like every other bean pic I’ve seen 😉

Not sure how much that clears or muddies the waters 😆 I guess I’d defer to XenPix, but my immediate reaction is that the people are pretty insubstantial.

U-Man
    Participant

Beans, beans they’re good for your heart……

soosh
    Participant

damn. one of my favorite photographs would be great for this theme, but I used it for Streetlights, and sadly, it didn’t do that great there.

simdan42
    Participant

Can we start a betting pool of how may Bean shots there will be?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.