06-01-11 – Urban Art

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-01-11 – Urban Art

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant
    Kestrana
    Participant

A B:
    Graffiti by kestrana, on Flickr

Kestrana
    Participant

Apparently after you vote it reviews your votes, new change.

ravnostic
    Participant

Schnee’s stat manager gets the numbers data, but doesn’t display the pictures and their respective votes. 🙁

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    ravnostic
    Participant

I see pictures here:
    http://www.schneeworld.com/fsm/showContest.do?contestid=6257103

Hrm. Musta been a glitch in the matrix.

clouddancer
    Participant

Stupid internet. Stupid modem. Stupid lightning. I lost 6, count them SIX HOURS of work last night because lightning rolled through and blew up our modem. GRRRRRRR. I’m only NOW getting to post. I’m really frustrated. Sorry.

ravnostic
    Participant

CD DO at your earliest opportunity to do so, invest in a decent surge protector (or two). Sorry to hear this.

But I have to say, I’m laughing at myself because I kept reading ‘lighting’ and not ‘lightning’ for some three times, trying to figure out what you were trying to convey. I iz stoopid.

clouddancer
    Participant

Rav, All the computers, etc, were shut off. The guy said it must have traveled through the phone line or something. Said it was his third one today that he had to replace. It’s probably about time anyway. Every time there’s a problem they try to blame on us, they say it’s our modem, even when it hasn’t been. Maybe things will stop breaking. The storm was pretty big, too. I thought about taking the camera out on a tripod on the deck/porch, then decided against it because of all the rain we were having. For the longest time the sky was yellow with a hint of pink. It was strange but beautiful at the same time.

ravnostic
    Participant

Well, if it’s just modems and not laptops, the phone line would make sense. But even if turned off, if stuff’s plugged in during an elec. surge, it could be damaged (or so the interweb sez). And yeah–I totally hear ya on the cable company and modem models they support. Shesh.

I’da ziploc’d the camera and taken the shots anyway. Not that the FSM shows it, but I kinda like taking weather pictures, and can do pretty well sometimes. This summer, my goal is to figure out how to master lightning so I can finally compete with caradoc. Difficulty factor: I gotta get me built one of them fandangled irfanred thingamabobbies to trigger the sensor.

olavf
    Participant

Any place you have a line coming from the utility pole is a good place to have a lightning protector of some point , if possible. Many surge protectors have a built-in one for phone lines (though I don’t know how well they work with DSL), but there are wall-mount units for that, and coaxial as well. Put them in-line before the first junction and run a wire to earth (the green wire) or a separate earth stake if possible. (I’m a fan of stopping the problem at the point of entry, and a must-do if you have an older house like mine)

Sorry to hear, though, CD. =/ Glad they were able to get you back up and running so quickly.

rav I haven’t had a chance to sit down and figure all that out yet, but it’s on my list. I’ve just been kinda overwhelmed lately.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yep, if it’s plugged in, it can and will be zapped by a strong enough surge. And lightning hitting anywhere near a powerline is going to be strong enough. Surges can also come in through the coax going to the cable modem or TV and the phone line going to a modem, DSL modem or phone. They make surge protectors for those as well. It’s questionable whether anything other than unplugging would help with a direct or near-direct hit, though.

On another note: Dangit! I just remembered a shot I took recently that would’ve been perfect for this contest. Too late now, so I’ll just have to leave it here as a B. So without further ado, I present: The Canoe Tree.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Some b-sides: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/sets/72157626007121333/

Judging by how poorly my statue entry is doing, I wish I’d picked one of the murals or graffiti.

ennuipoet
    Participant

This was a hard vote for me…was I voting for the photographer or the artist who created the mural? I tend to avoid shooting street art, or any other kind of art other than old statuary, for that very reason. Yes, there is a lot of technical skill in capturing something like street art well, but what makes it interesting, what makes it noteworthy is a third party all together.

You will note that the Banksy’s (advres, me, and Bucky Bacon) are doing fairly well. Is that because we took good photos or Banksy is easily recognized.

My brain hurts. Time to go put wierd shiat on my scanner.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Well, crap… now I’m wishing that I woulda posted more banksy.

And ennuipoet I’d say it’s the art themselves. Some will have voted just for OMGz it’s banksy, or for others the style will stand out even if they don’t know the artist. To be fair, the examples that you mention don’t have much to do with proper photography unless you account for exposure, color, etc. But I feel like mine is essentially a snapshot. But of all the ones that I had I felt that it had the best message. So I went w/ that one.

I do like the way yours is framed though, fwiw.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • The topic ‘06-01-11 – Urban Art’ is closed to new replies.