06-01-11 – Urban Art

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-01-11 – Urban Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Graffiti, murals, carvings, randomly welded sculptures, etc.

Theme suggestion courtesy of orionid–thanks!

geom_00
    Participant

Would an outdoor sculpture garden be OK for this contest, or is orionid looking for more of a random, unknown type of artist.

I guess what I mean is: Would you rather have a picture taken of graffiti, or one from the Smithsonian Sculpture garden?

Thanks!!

olavf
    Participant

I think the idea is more non-professional art, if you will. So, the guy down the street that has a bunch of oil barrels and found scrap metal all welded together and decorating his front yard, yes. The Rodin garden, not so much. (Think urban/folk art, not gallery pieces)

ravnostic
    Participant

How about commissioned art for a city walk space? Local artists in Mesa, Tempe, and Scottsdale have all done pieces for those Arizona cities. Some are pretty cool, and I was thinking of those.

orionid
    Participant

Professional urban art is cool, too. The only thing that I think should be avoided is obvious classical art in a museum. So, say Rodin’s thinker as part of the traveling louvre exhibit, not so much, but a concrete thinker painted in your local high school colors would be fair game. Pretty much the only sloid litmus I can think of is gallery – no, outdoors – yes, anything in between, use your best faith judgement.

olavf
    Participant

Sweet. That just reminded me of the Bansky statue I have in my archives. Doesn’t look like I’ve used it either. Thanks orionid 😀

geom_00
    Participant

Thanks for the advice!

Yugoboy
    Participant

I guess I don’t visit the sections of the city interesting enough to have high-quality graffiti. I’ve been shooting my tail off over the last couple weeks, but have rarely come across any good graffiti besides some Sharpie scrawls on light poles (although one of my entries certainly looks to be graffiti, just not the spray-painted kind).

I’ve got a few shots I’m pretty pleased with, though. Looking forward to that contest.

Farktographer
    Participant

Wait, orionid…are you trying to say that someone like Michelangelo doesn’t have enough street cred for you? 😆

I know MOCA in Los Angeles is having a street art exhibit right now, and I was thinking about driving up there to get some shots. Then I told myself…eh, it just doesn’t feel right if I don’t find the art on the real, actual street. I’m still going to make a trip to the museum, but the photos I use in the contest will probably be from me wandering around locally.

Oh, and Yugoboy – you could always make your *own* street art, then take a photo of it :mrgreen:

LeicaLens
    Participant

Japan is really lacking in graffiti.
    Normally, that would be a good thing, but not this time.

However, weird, huge-eyed, school-girl-uniform-clad figures they do have.

QueenMab
    Participant

so…not to be nitpicky…

how urban is “urban”?

ravnostic
    Participant

QueenM,

Professional urban art is cool, too. The only thing that I think should be avoided is obvious classical art in a museum. So, say Rodin’s thinker as part of the traveling louvre exhibit, not so much, but a concrete thinker painted in your local high school colors would be fair game. Pretty much the only sloid litmus I can think of is gallery – no, outdoors – yes, anything in between, use your best faith judgement.

QueenMab
    Participant

well, the topic says “urban”. To me that means “city”. My question really pertains to the location of said art. if there is fantastic outdoor art on a farm in kansas, is that OK? or a small town somewhere or the suburbs…

Curious
    Participant

well, the topic says “urban”. To me that means “city”. My question really pertains to the location of said art. if there is fantastic outdoor art on a farm in kansas, is that OK? or a small town somewhere or the suburbs…

urban is the code word for ghetto. you will have to travel into the most ghetto area you can reach in a 4 hour drive. anything else doesn’t count. and please be safe.

🙂

clouddancer
    Participant

Wait, so the dinosaur art/structures I found won’t work because they’re in the middle of nowhere? Harumph. *sticks out tongue at Curious and goes to sulk*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • The topic ‘06-01-11 – Urban Art’ is closed to new replies.